• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: DAZ terminates agreement to publish HiveWire 3D animals!

So are most of the fantasy novels, for that matter. 'Sheepfarmer's Daughter' opens with Paksenarrion deciding that bucolic drudgery was not for her, and ran off to join a mercenary company.

Indeed; I do wonder what her poor father thought when he didn't hear anything from her for years and suddenly he was presented with the absolutely incredible tale of her adventures up to that point. And the sword, which he did put in a place of honor despite her rather unorthodox departure from home.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Later on I really had fun reading the Dresden Files books.
Oh my goodness, I totally forgot about Harry Dresden. I absolutely loved those books, and was very disappointed when they tried to make a TV series out of them, but it didn't work, though I think they filmed them and have them available on Netflix, but I'm not sure.

If you really like Jim Butcher's writing, you should also check out his Codex Alera series. I was so disappointed when it ended.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't remember which came first for me ... Harry Dresden series on audible.com or stumbling across the series on Netflix. Either way ... I loved them both. Even if the tv series wasn't all that true to the books. I was disappointed when James Marsters was not available to narrate Ghost Story ... as were many others. Consequently, a later version was released with James Marsters narrating.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I've never tried audible books, as I have to concentrate or I'd lose the story, and to just sit and listen to a book . . . well I'd rather sit and read.

You are correct though, the best narrator available will always make it that much better. I think one of the best parts of the original Lion King movie was James Earl Jones voicing Mufasa, and who else could've voiced Darth Vadar better. I can listen to that man talk about anything, and he'll hold my interest.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Audible books are fabulous for commuting. Especially, since I can't stand commercials or morning shows. I also hate listening to Christmas music, and most stations switch over to all Christmas songs far too early. Like Halloween!

Best thing I ever did was to subscribe to Audible.com. I just have to make sure that I have the next book lined up when I near the end of the current one. I've been caught a few times with the current book ending 5 minutes into my commute home. Oopsie. In that case, it's a silent drive home. I made the mistake one time of downloading a book on the drive home. Not a good idea when you're not on wifi!

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
I collected the Dresden Files and loved every one of them. It was suggested by Jim Butcher that the series would continue with Molly Carpenter in the lead role after Dresden's exit but as far as I am aware there's no further news on that front. I picked up the Codex Alera series because of the Dresden Files and found it disappointing. The first books were excellent but I think it went downhill from there with the final book reading more like a graphic novel script than a novel.

I'm currently reading the Piratica trilogy by Tanith Lee, usually better known for her prolific sci-fi and horror novels. It follows the adventures of Miss Artemesia Fitz-Willoughby Weatherhouse on the high seas. Set in an alternative world only slightly removed from our own it's a mix of high adventure, steampunk and swashbuckling in the finest traditions of Terry Pratchett, often with hilarious results!

Also recently read the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson which started with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. If you like convoluted crime novels with a (very) strong female hero you'll love this series. The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest complete the trilogy. I should also note that the series has been continued by David Lagercrantz, presumably derived from notes left by Larsson after his death (or possibly not) which I haven't read and don't intend to, for the simple reason that I think there's something slightly unsavoury about taking someone else's work and using it for your own profit!

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Bummer, Piratica isn't available for the Kindle. Nor is it an audible book :(

Is that Kindle in the US Satira because they are available on Kindle in the UK. That's a problem I've come across with Amazon before. I have two outstanding albums from the Incredible String Band I need to complete my collection which are only available in the US. They won't release them in the UK for some reason or other and when I tried to buy them they refused with the excuse that they only accept credit cards drawn on a US bank. I did ask for an explanation but never recieved a reply. Strange behaviour from what is, after all, the same company!

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
Edgar Rice Burroughs. I've read almost every science fiction and fantasy novel he ever wrote. The Moon series, the John Carter/Mars series, the Venus series, Pellucidar, and on and on. Great stuff. Also Kenneth Robeson's Doc Savage books. And Andre Norton's work from the '50s and '60s.

I like my fiction old or not at all. :)

quietrob

Extraordinary
Audible books are fabulous for commuting. Especially, since I can't stand commercials or morning shows. I also hate listening to Christmas music, and most stations switch over to all Christmas songs far too early. Like Halloween!

Best thing I ever did was to subscribe to Audible.com. I just have to make sure that I have the next book lined up when I near the end of the current one. I've been caught a few times with the current book ending 5 minutes into my commute home. Oopsie. In that case, it's a silent drive home. I made the mistake one time of downloading a book on the drive home. Not a good idea when you're not on wifi!

Oh yeah! Two of my favorite books, World War Z and to Sail Beyond the Sunset made my commute from Sacramento to Orange County, California, some 425 Miles (684 Km) a breeze! Audio books are great!!

Miss B

CV-BEE
I picked up the Codex Alera series because of the Dresden Files and found it disappointing. The first books were excellent but I think it went downhill from there with the final book reading more like a graphic novel script than a novel.
Hmmmmm, I liked them all, though the last book's events were a bit expected. I wasn't wondering what would happen next, as much as I did with the first 5 books.

Miss B

CV-BEE
The Moon series, the John Carter/Mars series, the Venus series, Pellucidar, and on and on.
Have you read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy? I thought the first book (Red Mars) was excellent. The second book (Green Mars) started out well but, at least to me, became boring. The third book (Blue Mars), started out boring, but then got back on track and was very good.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Edgar Rice Burroughs. I've read almost every science fiction and fantasy novel he ever wrote. The Moon series, the John Carter/Mars series, the Venus series, Pellucidar, and on and on. Great stuff. Also Kenneth Robeson's Doc Savage books. And Andre Norton's work from the '50s and '60s.

I like my fiction old or not at all. :)
Apparently so does everyone else. Tarzan and John Carter could be considered modern mythology. The same with H.G. Wells. Is there anything that guy wrote that wasn't made into a movie?

To continue the great digression...What book have you read that you would like to see made into a movie? My wishes are simple. Methuselah's Children, Time Enough for Love and to Sail Beyond the Sunset would my trilogy.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Amazon US shows that there is a Kindle version of the books, but then when you try to get to the Kindle versions, it says they are no longer available.

So ... perhaps at one point they were, but now they aren't. So Amazon UK must have the rights to the Kindle versions, while Amazon US doesn't. Or something along those lines!

Is that Kindle in the US Satira because they are available on Kindle in the UK. That's a problem I've come across with Amazon before. I have two outstanding albums from the Incredible String Band I need to complete my collection which are only available in the US. They won't release them in the UK for some reason or other and when I tried to buy them they refused with the excuse that they only accept credit cards drawn on a US bank. I did ask for an explanation but never recieved a reply. Strange behaviour from what is, after all, the same company!

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Amazon US shows that there is a Kindle version of the books, but then when you try to get to the Kindle versions, it says they are no longer available.

So ... perhaps at one point they were, but now they aren't. So Amazon UK must have the rights to the Kindle versions, while Amazon US doesn't. Or something along those lines!

Most peculiar! I've just been checking up and my account details are valid at both Amazon UK (although I've only had an account at Amazon UK) and US so I assume that yours would be equally valid in both countries. They also both have my debit card on record as valid (although Amazon US won't accept it because its drawn on a UK bank) despite it being owned by a US-based company! Unfortunately Amazon US don't accept Paypal which is my preferred method so bang go my albums unless I buy them on CD, which are available in the UK. Makes quite a difference in price though - MP3 price in the US $3.99 each, CD price in the UK $13 (approx) each.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I think I read LOTR's at about 12-13 borrowing it from the school library. I was lucky enough that my brother bought me the deluxe edition for my eighteenth birthday which is done with rice paper and all three books fit into a slim volume and it also contains maps which fold out. I have read it so many times...it's probably due for a reread though.
I also like the Sheepfarmers daughter...that is just a brilliant series.

Dresden is also a favourite and I saw the tv series before I found the books so I enjoyed both despite the differences, can't wait for the next book Peace Talks to arrive.

I think I read LOTR's at about 12-13 borrowing it from the school library. I was lucky enough that my brother bought me the deluxe edition for my eighteenth birthday which is done with rice paper and all three books fit into a slim volume and it also contains maps which fold out. I have read it so many times...it's probably due for a reread though.
I also like the Sheepfarmers daughter...that is just a brilliant series.

Dresden is also a favourite and I saw the tv series before I found the books so I enjoyed both despite the differences, can't wait for the next book Peace Talks to arrive.

I read not only Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance and Oath of Gold (I have the three stories in one paperback volume), but the one she wrote about Gird Strongarm (I don't remember the title of that one offhand). And I have read most of the Dragonriders of Pern (I even own Dragonsdawn, the one about the colonization of Pern and the origin of the Dragons).

Hornet3d

Wise
Most peculiar! I've just been checking up and my account details are valid at both Amazon UK (although I've only had an account at Amazon UK) and US so I assume that yours would be equally valid in both countries. They also both have my debit card on record as valid (although Amazon US won't accept it because its drawn on a UK bank) despite it being owned by a US-based company! Unfortunately Amazon US don't accept Paypal which is my preferred method so bang go my albums unless I buy them on CD, which are available in the UK. Makes quite a difference in price though - MP3 price in the US $3.99 each, CD price in the UK $13 (approx) each.

It would appear that your Amazon account is valid in all of their sites, I have a sister in Canada and I often buy from Amazon.ca using my UK account details. I have never opened a Amazon Canada account and it shows all the same credit cards as UK site. We use it for presents for my sister as it saves the cost of shipping from the UK, which means we can pay more on the actual present and not have to worry about size and weight. We also know the cost to us as we can have the card registered as UK pounds and not Canadian dollars. Strangely though, when it comes to some CDs it is sometimes cheaper to buy it from Amazon UK and ship it ourselves than buy it on the Canadian site.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
No prob Hornet. My beef is that they refused to take payment from my debit card, which is owned by a US company and valid all over the world for what seems, to me, a pretty feeble excuse! It surprised me that the accounts are linked because I do shop a lot with Amazon UK and buy most of my music, books and other stuff there and have never had any problems! The only reason I went there was to buy the two ISB albums I need to complete my collection and it's unlikely (in fact definite that I'll ever try to shop there again) so no sweat. The one good point is that Satira can, if she wishes, buy the Piratica Trilogy from the UK which is how this all came up in the first place.

On a high note, I checked with HMV Preston and they have both albums in stock, so me and the little one are off on an adventure tomorrow to pick them up. Lucy's never been to Preston before so new sights for our little Canuck (and probably rapidly depleting wallet for me!) Yikes! :bee:

Hornet3d

Wise
No prob Hornet. My beef is that they refused to take payment from my debit card, which is owned by a US company and valid all over the world for what seems, to me, a pretty feeble excuse! It surprised me that the accounts are linked because I do shop a lot with Amazon UK and buy most of my music, books and other stuff there and have never had any problems! The only reason I went there was to buy the two ISB albums I need to complete my collection and it's unlikely (in fact definite that I'll ever try to shop there again) so no sweat. The one good point is that Satira can, if she wishes, buy the Piratica Trilogy from the UK which is how this all came up in the first place.

On a high note, I checked with HMV Preston and they have both albums in stock, so me and the little one are off on an adventure tomorrow to pick them up. Lucy's never been to Preston before so new sights for our little Canuck (and probably rapidly depleting wallet for me!) Yikes! :bee:

I can understand your beef as the excuse does seem quite feeble. Like you I do a great deal of shopping with Amazon UK and my wife and I both have Kindles and Kindle Fires along with a couple of Echo Dots so between us we are at least moderate customers. My latest venture with them is space on the Amazon Drive to provide some cloud back up. I have been using Amazon for years and on the whole it has been a very good experience.

Enjoy your shopping trip, I hope you both enjoy it, it sounds fun and always a plus when you know they have what you want before you set out.