Official Announcement: DAZ terminates agreement to publish HiveWire 3D animals!

Discussion in 'The Meadow' started by Chris, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Desertsilver

Desertsilver Engaged

I used to love history. Then I discovered how much of it was grossly exaggerated, willfully miss leading, wishful thinking or just plain lies. Now I prefer Science Fiction/fantasy- at least it is honest about what it is.

I enjoy reading all of your opinions here, and the feeling that people in this forum can speak freely. A rare and fine thing these days.

Willowisp and Hornet3d like this.
  2. Janet

Janet Extraordinary Contributing Artist

There's one for HiveWire dog too!

3. Stezza

Stezza Extraordinary

yep, I saw that... though that was a shared HW post :geek:

4. quietrob

quietrob Extraordinary

Oh my. Are we discussing politics? We shouldn't...However...

I do have a question for @Hornet3d and @Mythocentric if he's lurking.. Question : Is Benedict Arnold considered a traitor in the UK?

5. Janet

Janet Extraordinary Contributing Artist

You're right, it is. Still cool though.

6. Bonnie2001

Bonnie2001 Extraordinary

I've heard of that and can't understand why anyone thinks the holocaust didn't happen. Sure even some guards that worked in the death camps took part in documentaries and admitted what was going on.

7. Hornet3d

Hornet3d Distinguished

Ohh, that is a difficult one as I don't think there is a general consensus, not that I am aware of one anyway. There a supporters in both the yes an no camps while there is usually a fairy good dose of contempt for anyone who changes sides or professes to be something they are not, irrespective of where they came from or went to. I think it is a cultural thing.

Coming from the UK it think the likely response from as vast number of people would be "Who is Benedict Arnold" but in their defense I would say that the teaching of American History is very patchy. In my school years, which is now way back in history as well, it was hardly covered at all and the UK history was from books which I later learnt had a very selective view of our history. I am not sure what is taught these days, I will have to ask my nieces, but I believe there is more coverage on the two world wars now than in my day.

8. Hornet3d

Hornet3d Distinguished

I think that is part of my liking for Science Fiction/ Fantasy as well, well that and the feeling that, while I have been very lucky, I find the world to be a little too cruel for my liking so it provides an escape.

Desertsilver likes this.
  9. Hornet3d

Hornet3d Distinguished

Well I welcome the news but I have my fingers firmly crossed that they will not be exclusive there.

10. Hornet3d

Hornet3d Distinguished

I suspect, if the truth be known they know very well that it happen but it does not fit their view of the world, their purpose or they just want to cause upset in others, perhaps a mixture of all three.

11. Terre

Terre Distinguished

That makes sense. From what my husband remembers from going to school for two years in the UK back in the '70s Arnold was largely treated with contempt during the last years of his life.

12. Satira Capriccio

Satira Capriccio Distinguished CV-BEE Contributing Artist

When I moved from the children's book section to the adult's book section, I devoured Mysteries and Science Fiction. Like a dozen or so books a week. Since this was late 50s, early 60s, the science fiction was Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, and Arthur C. Clark. Mysteries were dominated by Agatha Christie. Oddly, I don't remember a single mystery writer from that time other than Agatha Christie. Of course, she also annoyed me with her twists. Other Whodunits, I could almost always guess who done it. But not so with Agatha Christie's.

Fantasy was pretty much relegated to the children's book section, and it wasn't until I was in High School that the Lord of the Rings was recommended to me by a teacher. I wonder now just where it was kept in the public library? I didn't encounter the Narnia books either until I was an adult when we purchased the entire set for a nephew ... which I read before wrapping. Again, where on earth had they been stashed?!? Again, the only books I remember from the hundreds I borrowed from the children's section of the public library were L. Frank Baum's OZ series.

Once I discovered "adult" fantasy though ... forget spaceships and alien worlds and mysteries. It was dragons and wizards and witches for me. All the way, baby!

Desertsilver likes this.
  13. Hornet3d

Hornet3d Distinguished

I came to science fiction a little later in my life, it was really a spin of from my interest in space and astronomy. The first series of books I read was Biggles but as become older there was almost always and Agatha Christie book in my hand normally the murder mystery but the hound of death sent me looking for other stories along the same lines. While I loved the Lord of The Rings it was an airport chance buy of 'Azure Bonds' by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb (boredom due to a delayed fight) that introduced me to the Forgotten Realms series of books. It was a rare find and I still have the copy in my collection.

The introduction of the Ebook has changed my reading slightly and I have been reading authors I would probably not have discovered otherwise. I found 'The Progenitor Trilogy' by Dan Worth to be a very well described Science Fiction yarn and equally enjoyable in the fantasy realm was The 'Five Books of Pellinor' by Alison Croggon that reminded me a little of the Lord of the Rings. I think this is one of the benefits of Ebooks in that each of these I was introduced to by the first book being either free or around a $ so I was happy to take a risk that I probably would not have taken in a book shop. I both cases I have be come a fan of the authors buying not only the rest of the saga but other titles as well.

14. James R.

James R. Busy Bee

When I was a child, there was Star Trek (in syndicated repeats ;)), then SPACE: 1999, and then Star Wars.

But for a while in the early 80's I was into fantasy. It kind of had its first big discovery by the mainstream at that time (beyond Tolkien). Conan the Barbarian, Dragonslayer, Excalibur, and other movies were popular. Shows like Mr. Merlin on TV. I enjoyed fantasy for a while. My drawing books from that era are full of knights and dragons, etc.

But I kind of fell out of it when I was about 16 and realized my heart belongs to scifi.

I've tried to read LOTR five times since I bought it in one volume when I was 12. Every time I get about halfway through and I'm like "oh dear god not another 25 page song about five thousand years ago"...lol

I'm exaggerating, and of course I have huge respect for Tolkien, but I just can't get through it. Loved The Hobbit, though. Perhaps because it's bite-sized. ...Like hobbitses. :sneaky:

15. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

I'm not sure I would've liked reading it all in one volume. I did enjoy reading it in 3 separate volumes, and have to say it was one of the few trilogies where the movies were just about as good as the books. Very often I feel let down when I get around to seeing movies based on best selling books.

I think the only book I ever tried reading (twice), and only got halfway through, was James Michener's Hawaii. The whole first half of the book was about the formation of the Hawaiian Islands, which I found extremely boring.

16. James R.

James R. Busy Bee

I tried reading LOTR in smaller bites... nope. :( Someday I'll try it again.

I think I read 'Space' by Michener. I have a vague recollection of that.

Image 184.jpg

17. Mythocentric

Mythocentric Extraordinary

Ring Geek here! I first read LOTR back in the early 70's and I've re-read it (along with the Hobbit) practically every year or so since! :rolleyes:

Desertsilver and James R. like this.
  18. Willowisp

Willowisp Eager

You could always try 'Bored of the Rings' instead :D

Me, I've been a huge fan of Terry Pratchett since I discovered him about 20 years ago. His stories just got better and better as the characters developed - and quite a few of them have some serious stabs towards the modern world as well (racism and sexism in particular)

Mythocentric and James R. like this.
  19. James R.

James R. Busy Bee

I salute you, sir!

Desertsilver and Mythocentric like this.
  20. James R.

James R. Busy Bee

LOL :laugh: