• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Official Announcement: DAZ terminates agreement to publish HiveWire 3D animals!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The danger for me lies with Carrara and Windows updates, Mac users are already having compatibility issues, with no development it's a matter of time until my software of choice breaks.
I know how you feel Wendy, as I started in 3D with Bryce, and I keep my fingers crossed every time I open it, that it will open and work.

Now-a-days I don't use it as often as I did, but I still enjoy rendering with Bryce, as I'm really a landscape artist at heart. I only became a portrait artist when I started beta testing for various vendors over the years.

xyer0

Brilliant
The more you actually research the history, reading the documents themselves rather than relying on historians' spin jobs, you find that the "facts" that everyone has taken for granted are not only untrue, but that they are the opposite of what actually happened. When you see enough of this, then you recognize that conspiracy is not a theory: People in power have always done whatever they pleased and changed the story to whatever they wanted it to be.

Abraham Lincoln is credited with freeing the slaves, but that is inaccurate. The slaves were freed by the 13th amendment to the Constitution. (However, through the 14th amendment, the citizenship of the rest of the populace was degraded and stipulations were added—very tricky). If you actually read the Emancipation Proclamation, you will find that Lincoln expressly and specifically freed only the slaves that were in territories (seceded states) that did not recognize his jurisdiction, and he expressly and specifically did not free any slaves that resided in the Northern states of which he was still considered the Executive power! But what were Americans taught? The Civil War was fought to free the slaves, and Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves through the Emancipation Proclamation.
Mere semantics, you say? It is in the fine print that people are swindled out of their life's work, life savings and lives. Actually, based upon the principles expounded in the Declaration of Independence, Abraham Lincoln's military action against the seceding states was tyranny, and I say this purely on principle and as a descendant of American slaves (lest anyone think I'm a white supremacist).

Great men rarely stand up to the scrutiny of a later age. But that's no reason to whitewash them.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
That's an interesting post xyer0. It's good to get views from people with connections to the subject, than just reading it in books.

Hornet3d

Wise
It's a tough call, and hard to know what is the right thing to do. I've been to Germany and they don't have streets named after Adolf Hiter anymore, or statues of him in public. The history hasn't been erased because of it either, the Germans just don't want Adolf Hitler to be regarded as a hero by having streets named after him and statues in public view.

It is a tough call and I can well understand the situation in Germany but while they refrain from the use of Hitlers name the concentration camps and some of his hideaways still exist and are visited by many. This makes re-writing history very difficult, as is should be, but this still does not stop some claiming the holocaust never happened. I guess I just question some of the motives of the people that pressing for change. This is not helped by the fact that many of the groups profess to stand for free speech but decry anyone speaking out unless they agree with their views and aims. Other pressure groups hold up other countries as shining examples of good government when they have clearly bought into the hype and know nothing of the reality. Unfortunately the Internet only makes matters worse as they can often find other sources to back up their beliefs even if they are nowhere near the truth either.

This seems a long way from where we started but it is the removal of views contrary official line that was described here and while this is mildly annoying when discussing 3D art the same principles used elsewhere can have a much bigger impact. I guess I am a believer of the principle "Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, for they too have their story". Not my words but it is my belief.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't question that Lincoln is credited with freeing the slaves. Over the years, I've read and heard that stated. Especially, in Philadelphia. As you say, that is not accurate.

I'm sure it varied state by state, public vs private, and even perhaps, teacher by teacher. But in public school in Oregon, we were not taught the Civil War was fought to free the slaves, nor were we taught the Emancipation Proclamation applied to all slaves. In our classes, we were taught the Civil War was fought to preserve the Union. We were also taught the Emancipation Proclamation freed only the slaves in those states that rebelled and were fighting the Union armies. Of course, that doesn't mean that everyone in my classes learned that!

It's kind of sad we feel it necessary to make our "heros" larger than life and to cover up all their flaws and shortcomings.

Abraham Lincoln is credited with freeing the slaves, but that is inaccurate.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
WOW, I just checked, and sure enough it was posted on their Facebook page 3 hours ago, and there have been 9 likes, 2 of them from top vendors in their store . . . namely Fabiana, and Rhiannon. WOW! Very Nice!

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
I used to love history. Then I discovered how much of it was grossly exaggerated, willfully miss leading, wishful thinking or just plain lies. Now I prefer Science Fiction/fantasy- at least it is honest about what it is.

I enjoy reading all of your opinions here, and the feeling that people in this forum can speak freely. A rare and fine thing these days.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
This makes re-writing history very difficult, as is should be, but this still does not stop some claiming the holocaust never happened.

I've heard of that and can't understand why anyone thinks the holocaust didn't happen. Sure even some guards that worked in the death camps took part in documentaries and admitted what was going on.

Hornet3d

Wise
Oh my. Are we discussing politics? We shouldn't...However...

I do have a question for @Hornet3d and @Mythocentric if he's lurking.. Question : Is Benedict Arnold considered a traitor in the UK?

Ohh, that is a difficult one as I don't think there is a general consensus, not that I am aware of one anyway. There a supporters in both the yes an no camps while there is usually a fairy good dose of contempt for anyone who changes sides or professes to be something they are not, irrespective of where they came from or went to. I think it is a cultural thing.

Coming from the UK it think the likely response from as vast number of people would be "Who is Benedict Arnold" but in their defense I would say that the teaching of American History is very patchy. In my school years, which is now way back in history as well, it was hardly covered at all and the UK history was from books which I later learnt had a very selective view of our history. I am not sure what is taught these days, I will have to ask my nieces, but I believe there is more coverage on the two world wars now than in my day.

Hornet3d

Wise
I used to love history. Then I discovered how much of it was grossly exaggerated, willfully miss leading, wishful thinking or just plain lies. Now I prefer Science Fiction/fantasy- at least it is honest about what it is.

I enjoy reading all of your opinions here, and the feeling that people in this forum can speak freely. A rare and fine thing these days.

I think that is part of my liking for Science Fiction/ Fantasy as well, well that and the feeling that, while I have been very lucky, I find the world to be a little too cruel for my liking so it provides an escape.

Hornet3d

Wise
WOW, I just checked, and sure enough it was posted on their Facebook page 3 hours ago, and there have been 9 likes, 2 of them from top vendors in their store . . . namely Fabiana, and Rhiannon. WOW! Very Nice!

Well I welcome the news but I have my fingers firmly crossed that they will not be exclusive there.

Hornet3d

Wise
I've heard of that and can't understand why anyone thinks the holocaust didn't happen. Sure even some guards that worked in the death camps took part in documentaries and admitted what was going on.

I suspect, if the truth be known they know very well that it happen but it does not fit their view of the world, their purpose or they just want to cause upset in others, perhaps a mixture of all three.

Terre

Renowned
Ohh, that is a difficult one as I don't think there is a general consensus, not that I am aware of one anyway. There a supporters in both the yes an no camps while there is usually a fairy good dose of contempt for anyone who changes sides or professes to be something they are not, irrespective of where they came from or went to. I think it is a cultural thing.

Coming from the UK it think the likely response from as vast number of people would be "Who is Benedict Arnold" but in their defense I would say that the teaching of American History is very patchy. In my school years, which is now way back in history as well, it was hardly covered at all and the UK history was from books which I later learnt had a very selective view of our history. I am not sure what is taught these days, I will have to ask my nieces, but I believe there is more coverage on the two world wars now than in my day.
That makes sense. From what my husband remembers from going to school for two years in the UK back in the '70s Arnold was largely treated with contempt during the last years of his life.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
When I moved from the children's book section to the adult's book section, I devoured Mysteries and Science Fiction. Like a dozen or so books a week. Since this was late 50s, early 60s, the science fiction was Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, and Arthur C. Clark. Mysteries were dominated by Agatha Christie. Oddly, I don't remember a single mystery writer from that time other than Agatha Christie. Of course, she also annoyed me with her twists. Other Whodunits, I could almost always guess who done it. But not so with Agatha Christie's.

Fantasy was pretty much relegated to the children's book section, and it wasn't until I was in High School that the Lord of the Rings was recommended to me by a teacher. I wonder now just where it was kept in the public library? I didn't encounter the Narnia books either until I was an adult when we purchased the entire set for a nephew ... which I read before wrapping. Again, where on earth had they been stashed?!? Again, the only books I remember from the hundreds I borrowed from the children's section of the public library were L. Frank Baum's OZ series.

Once I discovered "adult" fantasy though ... forget spaceships and alien worlds and mysteries. It was dragons and wizards and witches for me. All the way, baby!