• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Narrow Shoulders for Dawn

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
One more with Narrow Shoulders. This time I dialed them to 0.50
Dawn-KenNS.jpg

Michele

Eager
Autofit has its problems -- namely with skirts/dresses/tunics, high-heeled shoes, hair, and close-fitting gloves -- but it works pretty well for most other stuff.

A DS-only user would need to keep in mind that XD only handles cr2's, which is why I don't use it for the newer weight-mapped figures.

I think Genesis-era clothing can be exported from DS as a cr2 file and then run through XD, but I've never tried this so don't know how well it works.

I will use XD for figures that don't have autofit clones. For instance, here's a Miki 2 outfit that I'd converted earlier to V4, then used the V4 autofit clone for Dawn:

(It's an old render! That's first version Dawn.) I parented the radio and badge props rather than autofitted them; they likely would've been deformed otherwise.

I don't mean to hijack the release thread. If there's a better place for these, please let me know and I'll post there. :)

xyer0

Brilliant
I really don't know, but it's a skin-tight outfit and should convert well. I think some folks here have already played with CKV-01 in DS. Perhaps the most incompatible part are always the materials. Texture maps should translate well, but the color options were based on HSV shader nodes, and that won't work in DS, unless you rebuild the setup in ShaderMixer using its own shader nodes for 3DL and MDL. In Poser the standard and PBR renderers are compatible at shader node level, but in DS they are not, so you have to do it twice using different bricks.
I can always use Iray shaders, as long as each part has a distinct material ID/zone.

Thanks for the comments on my Dawn dial, Ken and Lisa. :)

I love utilities like this; even in small amounts they make a big difference for variations in characters. Your comparison chart was a big selling point for me, Ken, though I would've bought the product anyway.

xyer0, are you a DS user? If so, you don't need Cross Dresser for Dawn or Dusk, you just need autofit clones. Autofit + smoothing modifier isn't a perfect solution but will definitely expand your Dawn/Dusk wardrobe options.

Thanks, Hornet3D & Michele! Yes, I'm using DS. Thanks for the link and the tips. Most stuff nowadays seems to be "figure it out fer yerself," so I appreciate the hints from everyone.

xyer0

Brilliant
Autofit has its problems -- namely with skirts/dresses/tunics, high-heeled shoes, hair, and close-fitting gloves -- but it works pretty well for most other stuff.

A DS-only user would need to keep in mind that XD only handles cr2's, which is why I don't use it for the newer weight-mapped figures.

I think Genesis-era clothing can be exported from DS as a cr2 file and then run through XD, but I've never tried this so don't know how well it works.

Thanks for the render example, Michele. I have a lot of V4/M4 clothing, and Rae tells me that XD can be useful for that. But my cart is already bloated; so, if I can eliminate an unnecessary purchase, I'd like to.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I'm sooooo envious! I picked up Narrow Shoulders right away, but just haven't had the time to play with it yet. ~sigh~

It look's like everyone's really enjoying it. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
It certainly adds a nice touch, my character is fairly petite anyway so this helps a lot. I think I would modify it strength depending on the pose but that is just a dial tweek. Only issue I had was when I forgot to copy morphs from Dawn to the suit but again, easily sorted.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
Sorry, getting a bit more off subject here, but for those interested in clones for DAZ Studio, there is a pdf tutorial on 3DOutlaw's site that will teach you how to create your own V4 clone for Dawn. The same process can be followed to create other clones. You may create these for your own PERSONAL use only (ie please do NOT put them up on any website or share them with others/link to them in our forums).

3doutlaw.com

Click on the 'freebies' link at the top of the page

Thanks!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist

Autofit is convenient because it's automated. But on the other hand, it either works or it doesn't, and there isn't much we can do about it. One of the biggest bummers about cloth conversions is how flattened the outfits get, where volumes get squashed out like plastic wrap. Conversions don't preserve volume, and that's one reason I prefer to do it manually.

I can always use Iray shaders, as long as each part has a distinct material ID/zone.

Oh yes, CKV has plenty of MAT zones! ^____^

Another use of the morph with the dial set at 0.68

When I first made this morph, I thought that maybe I had made it too extreme, but over time, as I used it, I came to think it's good to gave more range to play with since I never use the same value for different characters. As people get used to NS, they will probably come to this conclusion as well. Each case is a case. :)

Forgot to say that I love the Nutritional Facts contained in the readme file.

Haha nobody notices that part - I have been using nutritional facts since the old days at Rosity over a decade ago. LOL

I'm sooooo envious! I picked up Narrow Shoulders right away, but just haven't had the time to play with it yet. ~sigh~
It look's like everyone's really enjoying it. :)

I use NS so much nowadays that sometimes I forget that I added it to Dawn, and then don't understand why the shirt arms won't fit. Seriously! LOL

It certainly adds a nice touch, my character is fairly petite anyway so this helps a lot. I think I would modify it strength depending on the pose but that is just a dial tweek. Only issue I had was when I forgot to copy morphs from Dawn to the suit but again, easily sorted.

Happens to me all the time! I use NS so often that I forget it's there, and then get surprised when shirt arms won't fit. I began to irrationally expect Poser to automatically copy the morph since I always use it. LOL

xyer0

Brilliant
Ken, you speak of "add[ing] the morph to the clothes," but that is news to me (as a DS user). Perhaps someone who is a DS user can tell me how that process works in DS, or if there is another means of doing so.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Ken, you speak of "add[ing] the morph to the clothes," but that is news to me (as a DS user). Perhaps someone who is a DS user can tell me how that process works in DS, or if there is another means of doing so.

In Poser we have to manually copy morphs to the clothing if we want them to follow the figure's morphs. This is typically called a "morph injection", where vendors provide a INJ and REM presets to add and remove morphs from the figure. In DS this happens automatically. Any morph installed for the figure is ALWAYS available afterwards. In Poser, that is only for the current session, after you manually add the morphs.

This is not to mean that DS always loads all morphs to memory. Actually it loads none, until you dial them up. The moment you do that, DS automatically loads the morph to memory, and injects them into the clothing. And that only happens if the clothing doesn't already have the morphs. In DS this is called Auto-Follow. In Poser, Auto-Follow only happens after we manually inject the morph into the clothing. In Poser "auto-follow" just means we don't have to dial morphs on the figure and also on the clothing like it used to be in the past, but still, Poser users still have to manually inject the morphs first.

You are using DS, so once you install the product, you don't have to do anything.

Hope this helps. :)

xyer0

Brilliant
Thanks so much, Ken. It's not your job to educate, but I'm sure glad you've bothered to do it with me. :notworthy:
I'll be in Dawn land next week this time, thanks to you. Obrigado!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Lovely render, Mininessie! If you can't post an image, maybe the size (width or height) is larger than the max allowed?

mininessie

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
the image is 1000x1000 and 556 kb....i think i had uploaded some more large than that