• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP MEC4D - Creations for Dawn 2 and Dusk 2 , work in progress

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I do understand that there is a bit of blue around the eyes but with how the SSS is set up currently it's a fine line between realism and over the top. Same with glowing around any openings like the eyes, face/lips where the geometry is set up for surfaces. Nails too. I THINK they finally got that glowy thing wrangled but can't remember it's been a while.
well if you use Burley everything is glowing lol , it is good for fast candle wax not complex models . Also that SSS mode needs an model completely closed .. The material seams between the lips-face are the things that are actually not so PBR , on top if you model is not modeled proper to it scale it will create glows even more , in Zbrush you have an option under Polypaint to check your model for that issues , first you need to set your model to the proper height ( in real world mazements ), then check the thickness polypaint for issues .

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Actually with the Separate RGB node it actually looks now more like Cycles Principled shader , I just lost the yellow undertones that need to be fixed but the gray/bluish illusion is less actually it is not blue but gray with yellow undertone. BTW check the references .. how older the skin how more bluish the eyelids , so little is OK .
As long you don't squishing the body and get blue shade lol actually very "PBR" hehe

So why is this happening ? well the shader reacts to the thickness of the skin , if you insert another model the skin becomes less thick in that area and the blue light penetrate it , same when you add a displacement the top will be more bluish than the lower level . I inserted a ball and everything OK . The ball turned blue but the skin did not ( after adjusting )

So why it was never happening in early version of Poser ? they shut down the blue channel on purpose to get rid of that effect .. the blue channel never worked proper before that why you never got any issues with . I have little solution for that beside the Separation RGB node for the eyelids .
Also remember the eye sockets do poke through the eyeballs what is not good for PBR and better to set off Opacity to zero however it will no eliminate issue completely , I have to add fix in geometry for AVA to get rid of that issue . So dear Poser users, welcome to PBR .. make sure your hair caps never poke the skin or are too close .. same thing in DS with iray ..

Attachments

• adjusted.jpg
    adjusted.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot 2024-06-30 131227.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-30 131227.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot 2024-06-30 125944.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-30 125944.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot 2024-06-30 134449.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-30 134449.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
You are a treasure!! *off to experiement*
BTW the Subsurface Radius is a Vector not RGB , if you plug in SeparateRGB node for example all channels R G and B it will turn into grayscale , however if using only Red channel it will reduce the red value of The Subsurface Radious to half .. so in place of using :RedFilter" you can reduce the Subsurface scale to 0.04 it will give you the same results as SeparateRGB node with red channel only . Also make sure your color textures are no brighter than 72-76 at max .. anything above that will create issues with this shaders and unrealistic effect . The best is to use image edit and check what is the brightness value , if higher than 72 , reduce the exposure until it is right , that why nobody should have builds in textures light as it will affect the shader very much , there can't be anything more bright in PBR than 80% of 255 RGB , that would be fresh snow and clouds colors .. skin is below that in the max 70's range

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
BTW I think I found the issue , the eyelashes may be too close , it also poke through the eyelids, I need to check out of that can be fixed by creating a morph to move them out , AVA uses Geometric eyelashes so if that is the case maybe not needed the trans mapped .We see !

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
@Rhia474 new findings , the transmapped eyelashes creates the worse effect , but it can't be removed using PrincipledBSDF Alpha or Transparency/Opacity under Physical Surface , you need to use Poser Surface to set the transparency on .. since the others do not works 100% and that is a huge bug also .

What cause the rest ? well I removed the eye sockets , eyelashes and partial eyelids from inside using alpha map under Poser Surface ( beside the face , but the eyeball can't be removed so it will cause the shadow .

The black lines on the right are the eyelashes inserted into that mesh . So what we can do ? well they need to fix the Alpha under PrincipledBSdf and the Transparency /Opacity under Physical Surface ..then there is solution

Screenshot 2024-06-30 164103.jpg

Last edited:

Rhia474

Admirable
Eyelashes are a pain, apparently. It may be the same issue as the cap of hair pieces then. Ugh. I wonder how other renderers deal with it?
And yes, from the RGB only the R is plugged into Subsurface.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Eyelashes are a pain, apparently. It may be the same issue as the cap of hair pieces then. Ugh. I wonder how other renderers deal with it?
And yes, from the RGB only the R is plugged into Subsurface.
You know that the R subtract the SSS effect and nothing else ? you can also change the Subsurface scale to 0.04000 and have the same effect without using "Redfilter" . Thankfully I have geometric based Eyelashes fr Ava and Dawn 2 so problem solved , nut there is one more problem with lids , but the alpha is not working correctly .

xyer0

Brilliant
This looks niiiice! I know you're working on materials, but can you manage a bump/morph for the lacrimals perchance?

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
This is where I stop for now shuffling the buggy shaders .. eyelids looks acceptable , this is my to go skin shader using Physical Surface in Poser

Soft HDRI , Soft HDR plus Area Light and now working on the displacement and micro details for the skin, of course the details are only visible at very close up. Also I want to adress today the eyeballs in Poser and Lacrimal

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-30 190728.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-30 190728.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot 2024-06-30 192835.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-30 192835.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot 2024-06-30 202734.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-30 202734.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot 2024-06-30 204632.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-30 204632.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 61

rHawk

New-Bee
well if you use Burley everything is glowing lol , it is good for fast candle wax not complex models . Also that SSS mode needs an model completely closed .. The material seams between the lips-face are the things that are actually not so PBR , on top if you model is not modeled proper to it scale it will create glows even more , in Zbrush you have an option under Polypaint to check your model for that issues , first you need to set your model to the proper height ( in real world mazements ), then check the thickness polypaint for issues .
Thanks for the tips on using Burley for glow. I think it's a really good choice for quick projects. As for complex models, would you recommend other lighting modes or materials?

rHawk

New-Bee
This is where I stop for now shuffling the buggy shaders .. eyelids looks acceptable , this is my to go skin shader using Physical Surface in Poser

Soft HDRI , Soft HDR plus Area Light and now working on the displacement and micro details for the skin, of course the details are only visible at very close up. Also I want to adress today the eyeballs in Poser and Lacrimal
Another question. How did you achieve such an effect of skin microdetailing?

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Thanks for the tips on using Burley for glow. I think it's a really good choice for quick projects. As for complex models, would you recommend other lighting modes or materials?
Burley is good for candles and closed models , it is not so accurate PBR subsurface method and not HDRI friendly for skin and small detailed models . Random Walk. and Random walk fixed are the best Subsurface method for very small objects and human figures ( Fixed it best for human models) )
Of course if you use PBR shader for skin you need a proper Environment lighting , empty space will not works well as everything in PBR need to reflect something .

Another question. How did you achieve such an effect of skin microdetailing?
Well this one was done using displacement , but I will see if I can use Normal maps , I do my sculpting maps in Zbrush , sculpting it into 3D direct on the model . There is no one area on human skin that is the same , lots of work , time and practice , there are no shortcuts.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
I am blown away! Absolutely fantastic beyond belief! It looks like you are just taking photos of some wondrous model and painting part of her neck black so that she looks 3D...
Awww thank you ❤

Another portion of daily dose of AVA until you cant anymore , like an old record hehe
This time in DS with Dawn 2 merchant textures, shaders tweaked to my liking . The face textures are AVA's
I am getting Charlize Theron's type here with that one .. @xyer0 don't miss iray render ;)
Light is Iray sky sun only , little flat ..

AVA_Merchant_text_mec4d_Dawn2-Canvas1-BeautyBW.jpg
AVA_Merchant_text_mec4d_Dawn2-Canvas1-BeautyColor.jpg

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Do you know that AVA have the real proportions to world average tall woman
That include her ears, eyes, eyelids thickness , nose, lips , fingers, hands, arms, legs , feet , breast wide , to mm .. not by accident ;)
If you work in MD I can give you the exact measurements.

In the future when you pose AVA make sure the hip don't move back , she already have the right back curvature and behind .
AVA_Merchant_text_mec4d_Dawn2_04.jpg

Attachments

• AVA_Merchant_text_mec4d_Dawn2_02.jpg
    AVA_Merchant_text_mec4d_Dawn2_02.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 54
  • AVA_Merchant_text_mec4d_Dawn2_03.jpg
    AVA_Merchant_text_mec4d_Dawn2_03.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot 2024-07-02 071538.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-07-02 071538.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited: