• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

WIP MEC4D - Creations for Dawn 2 and Dusk 2 , work in progress

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
Here your daily portion of creativity ..

AVA - Poser 13

AvaPoser13New_mec4d_dawn2_Ava.jpg

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Love to see a little vid of Ava but more full shot. I can share the vid to my socials to drum up more excitement for Dawn 2 Maybe even have Adam interacting with her little bit!
Thanks Rich, Adam is still in a box not rigged yet , and I am still WIP .. spotted 2 things I need to address again .. Finalizing the skin shader , after that I will do full final shots .

Rhia474

Admirable
Here another angle of Ava from Poser 13 , I still did not decided if the skin shader I made is good enough to process the rest of the body

View attachment 78892
That looks absolutely the best texture so far in Poser 13 I've seen. Just a very, very wee little dryness so maybe some SSS adjustment? Pores look appropriately uneven, and while I prefer a more unstructured eyebrow, it looks lovely. Also thank you for paying such a close attention to the corners of the mouth with your texture build!

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Thank you @Rhia474

I switched to Poser Physical Surface to set the shader .. I think that is the best it can do for now with PS root shader for the skin .. Maps reduced to only 2 for the skin , the rest magic of PBR settings and HDRI. The HDRI has the brightest light allowed in PBR what is the sun.

Screenshot 2024-06-30 072959.jpg
AvaPoser13_PS_Hair_mec4d_20242.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-30 092452.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-30 100100.jpg

Last edited:

Rhia474

Admirable
Yup, still magnificent. Just one teeny suggestion: You may want to modulate SSS a bit in the eyesocket because there is that telltale blue glow that heralds overlapping scatter groups around the eye. Not sure what mat groups Dawn 2 will have--but unless you added a lot of blue eyeshadow there, that is clearly visible. Same thing you want to check for when you build the body. There were some great discussions about P13 skin on the Rendo P13 forums I've learned a lot from.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Yup, still magnificent. Just one teeny suggestion: You may want to modulate SSS a bit in the eyesocket because there is that telltale blue glow that heralds overlapping scatter groups around the eye. Not sure what mat groups Dawn 2 will have--but unless you added a lot of blue eyeshadow there, that is clearly visible. Same thing you want to check for when you build the body. There were some great discussions about P13 skin on the Rendo P13 forums I've learned a lot from.
Thank you, yes I noticed the bluish tint on top of the thin eyelids skin what is around 2mm and eliminating it do not well for the rest of the look , I am very familiar with the shader used in Physical Poser surface , the shader is based on the Cyles PrincipledBSDF but somehow it is not as good as lots of things are missing . Do you have link to that thread, maybe I will find some clues, I checked the thickness of my AVA shape and everything is OK to mm so it should be not turning blue , but the shader in principle "Don't like " when other objects crossing the volume or are too close. and I am refusing to use Christensen-Burley Subsurface method because it is not accurate in PBR and using HDRI and melting all the eyelids and models details Poser renders that I see to date losing its definition .. And it may be faster but it is not the best one to use on humans. Random Walk Skin method "Random Walk Fixed in Poser " is the best way to go.

I need to change the HDRI to neutral studio light and investigate it more , I did reduced it already half way but cant get rid of the Blue light completely as it affect the whole point of SSS .
Blue lights is the one that penetrate the skin less since the wave length is too short to get deeper , that why it appears on top of the surface especially where the model thickness is at its lowest , AVA eyelids thickness is less than 2 mm according to human anatomy , actually her whole body proportions are exactly the size of a average women size in length according to her height .

Funny thing I have SSS on eyeballs, iris , lacrimals etc.. and only eyelids get affected

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
The SSS bug has been an ongoing issue, hopefully they will have it fully wrangled by Poser 14
So that is a bug ? bluish tint should spears in a skin where it is very thin , all my photo references showing bluish tint on top eyelids and surrounded areas because of that very thin skin . So eliminating is completely would be wrong . My shader is set to 0.2mm for blue penetration according to my model physical anatomy ..

You see Richard, that Subsurface Radius have RGB levels of how the light get deep inside the skin according to the actual wavelength of that light , and blue is the one that just scratch the surface . For the same reason our specular Reflections appears to be bluish tinted.

Sadly it is slightly too much , let me spend another 12h on tweaking , maybe I find something lol

Rhia474

Admirable
The SSS bug has been an ongoing issue, hopefully they will have it fully wrangled by Poser 14
What Rich says. It is very annoying, and it comes out with good HDRI. I stated a thread on Rendo, and as predicted it got completely derailed, but has some nuggets of info.
What you say about Burley may be the reason...actually. *thinkyface* It is good to see that simple is almost always the answer, to be honest, now that PBR is in Poser.

Weird Blue Glow on Skin | Renderosity --just ignore the weird derail, it has some good info there about how intersecting meshes are a pain. ;)

Cycles based SSS skin shader | Renderosity ---this has a skin shader I use right now and it's Cycles based, as simple as it gets, but I may go even simpler now that I tested a Physical surface based one with *good* maps. Good maps are such a key (again, helloooo, vendors). ;)

Rhia474

Admirable
So that is a bug ? bluish tint should spears in a skin where it is very thin , all my photo references showing bluish tint on top eyelids and surrounded areas because of that very thin skin . So eliminating is completely would be wrong . My shader is set to 0.2mm for blue penetration according to my model physical anatomy ..

You see Richard, that Subsurface Radius have RGB levels of how the light get deep inside the skin according to the actual wavelength of that light , and blue is the one that just scratch the surface . For the same reason our specular Reflections appears to be bluish tinted.

Sadly it is slightly too much , let me spend another 12h on tweaking , maybe I find something lol
The RGB on the shader I use has a redfilter node added to plug between the map and the subsurface. It's Cycles based, I don't want to derail your thread with it.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
The RGB on the shader I use has a redfilter node added to plug between the map and the subsurface. It's Cycles based, I don't want to derail your thread with it.
Funny that how I set my Cycles shader , the red node only helps adding color to the clearcoat not really affecting SSS ( not really PBR accurate for skin ), just a layer on top .. people told me to switch from Cycle root because you can't see the texture preview in the viewport but it is my favorite accurate root shader node .. so if that is ok I would prefer to keep it as main shader and not bother with PP , hopefully P14 will be able to see preview of the shader .

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I do understand that there is a bit of blue around the eyes but with how the SSS is set up currently it's a fine line between realism and over the top. Same with glowing around any openings like the eyes, face/lips where the geometry is set up for surfaces. Nails too. I THINK they finally got that glowy thing wrangled but can't remember it's been a while.

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
What Rich says. It is very annoying, and it comes out with good HDRI. I stated a thread on Rendo, and as predicted it got completely derailed, but has some nuggets of info.
What you say about Burley may be the reason...actually. *thinkyface* It is good to see that simple is almost always the answer, to be honest, now that PBR is in Poser.

Weird Blue Glow on Skin | Renderosity --just ignore the weird derail, it has some good info there about how intersecting meshes are a pain. ;)

Cycles based SSS skin shader | Renderosity ---this has a skin shader I use right now and it's Cycles based, as simple as it gets, but I may go even simpler now that I tested a Physical surface based one with *good* maps. Good maps are such a key (again, helloooo, vendors). ;)
OK I checked the thread , well that is not a bug , that is how the shader reacts , it can't be poked with anything , same thing in DS , especially with hair caps that go too close .. nothing bad just the way the shader SSS mode works also in Blender .. but I will try that fix and see if any changes , thank you so much and don't worry about my thread, I Really aprettiate your input !