• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

LAMH Fuzzy Kitty

Dan30

Adventurous
Some inspiration for VortigensBane. This is a 300 $ Turbosquid model. Why on earth models over there cost a fortune? Just because they are made in 3dsMAx, Maya, C4D? And many of them are not even rigged! I could never understood that.
Anyway, just as an inspiration, would be nice to have our new fury kitten look along these lines. I personally like it a lot!
upload_2017-2-3_22-2-9.jpeg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Love the crystal shader and the gold one VB! With the 3Delight one have a look at your ambient and reflection settings as they can muck things up sometimes.

@Dan30 too cute!

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Some inspiration for VortigensBane. This is a 300 $ Turbosquid model. Why on earth models over there cost a fortune? Just because they are made in 3dsMAx, Maya, C4D? And many of them are not even rigged! I could never understood that.
Anyway, just as an inspiration, would be nice to have our new fury kitten look along these lines. I personally like it a lot!

They do have to pay off their software somehow...

This is a look I definitely want to re-create. Pretty sure it won't cost $300, though... ;)

I have decided I'm going to reverse engineer A.M.'s LAMH presets for the DAZ Big Cat (which I have) to see how he gets the fur coloring to work out right. As of 3Delight test #2, my preset would only work in a horror movie...
kitten 014.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I thought it took the colour off of the displacement textures? It almost looks like a 3DL shader issue since I can see some correct colour depending on the light?

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
It has a "root", "strand", and "tip" color. The root color is based off of the texture map, but I'm going to look at the other two. The multiple colors per strand is a great idea, though, especially for animals which have a different colored undercoat (like the black undercoat of a polar bear).

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
ahh cool VB, I didn't know that. It will be good for my dog as his undercoat is a buff/cream colour but his guard hairs in most places is black mid to tip (he's a Belgian Shepherd/Husky cross so his coat is like a wolfs coat but cream instead of white). My tabby cat also has the ticking where the root it cream and the end is black, or even cream/black/cream

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
yeeeek!!!!!!! You may be THE one that gets me to download and install DS! I hate that program....but... if I could have that kitty...could save it as a static prop, - export it to POSER to render properly... LOVE IT!!! Your assignment of fur to the house cats is really amazing! (still needs to be VERY short on the big cats...and FINER on the cub... IMHO. :)

It is physically possible to load the kitty in DS, add the LAMH preset, export the preset as obj, reload in Poser, and render, but each time you export a LAMH preset as an obj file, an average size is 6 Gb. At least, that is what I got when I exported AM's "Wolf 2.0" for rendering in Vue. Of course, you could always lower the compression setting to make a smaller geometry file, but I never got around to it.

And yes, the Big Cat presets still need work - LOTS of work... :) Now that I know so much more about how to work the plug-in, I might just go through and start again from scratch. Probably faster than fixing the current one.

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
And now I am thoroughly mystified... When I load A. M.'s fur preset (which renders beautifully), there are only five-or-so "slots" that show up in the surfaces tab. When I load my fur preset, there are pages and pages of slots in the surfaces tab. Now how to figure out how to condense the options so that the little kitties render more like the big kitty.
kitten 015.jpg

Black kitten is looking a bit better, just the specular needs work, I think. Orange kitty? Not so much. :(

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Not ANOTHER project!!!

In any case, I think the light went on. Sometimes it's a good thing to go back and peruse the user manual. Novel thought, right? I had the 3Delight hair shader set to "Human Hair" rather than "Standard." Setting the shader back to "Standard" - for which I had to reload the preset and save it as a new one - gave me this:
kitten 016.jpg

Not 100% sure, but I think I need to re-load the black kitten with the new and improved setting.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
It is physically possible to load the kitty in DS, add the LAMH preset, export the preset as obj, reload in Poser, and render, but each time you export a LAMH preset as an obj file, an average size is 6 Gb.

oh! well... I do have a very high end machine, so should be ok... it's WORTH it to get that look....my hands hurt so when I track-ball manually brush out the fur edges in photoshop!!