• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How The Hivewire Horse (harry) Came To Be.

Carey

Extraordinary
@Chris ! As I was creating a toned female Dawn/Harry centaur...I suddenly CRAVED having Harry as TONED in an artistic way as Dawn (or Dusk) - something like what Boris Vallejo would do!!

Get it? Would it inspire you to do an add on for our Harry for that style?!?!
Darn can't rate it, five stars on this one

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I am going to chime in with a second on the more muscle definition for Harry and while we are about it some ribs too please?

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
yep, muscles for the quarter horse and ribs for a racing thoroughbred!

ohh and I'd love it if someone would do a veins map for him too (hint hint CWRW :p)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
I can certainly add a toned look to our Harry. Not sure it would still be enough though. To get a deep tone muscle definition with veins and such, one would have to create a high resolution sculpt in sub-D, then bake it into the existing mesh. That would be cool. Paul and I have done some experimenting with this years ago. We've had some suggest this is needed for all our figures for added realism. I always thought this would be a solid add-on by CAs, but that hasn't happened. There is certainly room to add this type of thing to our core figures. Just need to get there is all. Lots to juggle and prioritize.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I'd buy that too Chris. Lyne hit the nail on the head for doing hero or god/goddess or fantasy sorts of renders

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I'd like to try to do some veins and/or muscling for the horse and big cat etc at some point. I would probably try it as some sort of displacement mapping as of course I can not model one whit. I would likely have to team up with someone though as so far the normal mapping programs for Mac aren't very good or intuitive- all the good ones seem to be for PC only :(

Coz yeah I'd love to have those things too:)

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
You Go ALL!
I have been asking and hoping. A few days ago I asked for same thing for Big Cat but got no responses and thought everyone was sick of all my stupid requests and just lay quiet dejected wishing I had been born later in life so I could grasp all this 3D creating stuff better and just make my own stuff! But, yeah I am all in.....request!......the same for Harry and the DOG and the Big Kittie.....which would look GREAT on the black Jaguar/Leopard and Lion too as would the vascular bumps (no need to get too complicated me thinks mapping would suffice)!

Just curious would a set of vascular maps work the same on Harry as they would on the Lion/Big Cat so that one map works for all kinda thing?

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I would think the vein mapping would differ with each animal but I could be wrong. Perhaps we are more the same than we think! lol

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
@Chris ! As I was creating a toned female Dawn/Harry centaur...I suddenly CRAVED having Harry as TONED in an artistic way as Dawn (or Dusk) - something like what Boris Vallejo would do!!Get it? Would it inspire you to do an add on for our Harry for this style?!?!
I've always been a fan of Boris Vallejo's artwork.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
@Chris ! As I was creating a toned female Dawn/Harry centaur...I suddenly CRAVED having Harry as TONED in an artistic way as Dawn (or Dusk) - something like what Boris Vallejo would do!!
View attachment 35965

Get it? Would it inspire you to do an add on for our Harry for this style?!?!
Awesome Lyne!! You can't go wrong with Boris or Julie Bell for that matter as far as body tone goes! Well, I'm rather fond of Luis Royo too, but yeah, sculpted Harry like Paul's sculpted Dusk would be cool!! Thinking you might be able to get some vein def with displacement mapping and well .......... would have to use a sculpting program for the muscle tone. I kind of played around with something using shading no sculpts with the dragon though. Please note ..... this is just a prototype those horns etc are all 2D
Dragon823.jpg
Dragon823H copy.jpg
Dragon823M copy.jpg

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
YEEK! I WAS LOOKING AT THE HORSE, DIDN'T REALIZE THE BORIS LADY HAD NAKED BREASTS...SO SORRY! DELETED! :oops:
I DELETED IT SO FAST, DIDN'T SEE IF THERE WERE LIKES OR COMMENTS... OH SORRY!!!!!!!!!!
Get it? Would it inspire you to do an add on for our Harry for this style?!?!

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I can certainly add a toned look to our Harry. Not sure it would still be enough though. To get a deep tone muscle definition with veins and such, one would have to create a high resolution sculpt in sub-D, then bake it into the existing mesh. That would be cool. Paul and I have done some experimenting with this years ago. We've had some suggest this is needed for all our figures for added realism. I always thought this would be a solid add-on by CAs, but that hasn't happened. There is certainly room to add this type of thing to our core figures. Just need to get there is all. Lots to juggle and prioritize.

AH, Thanks, Chris, for this information on your thought processes... was also thinking @Sparky is very talented with morphing.... !?

I'll edit the image to deal with the TOS and re-upload it...so you and Sparky can see it...

B-120-A.jpg

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
PS....Chris, Paul and all.... the muscles and bones that show on Dusk with both the sculpt, toned, body builder don't have veins...so don't let the lack of veins stop you...I think we all love the look of these morphs as they are... IMHO

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Just curious would a set of vascular maps work the same on Harry as they would on the Lion/Big Cat so that one map works for all kinda thing?
Harry is a different mesh/UV to the Big Cat but I think all the hooved animals will be the same as Harry so could possibly "wear" the same displacement map. The Big Cat veins would most likely work on the House Cat and Dog (just not sure if the veins would be in the same place for each animal in real life but I don't think that would matter much).

I think a displacement map would work ok for veins but I think the muscles would need morphs (and if it was morphs I think this would be great so you can dial in how muscular you'd like the animal to be).