• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED HiveWire Dog Is Underway

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
zombie looks cool but would also love a good realistic muscle map for the dog. I just asked of the existance of such a map for harry or Mil1 horse. Would love to have one each for the animals to go along with the similar maps for Mil2 & Mil4 muscle maps i have!
While that would be cool, I'd imagine it would be a lot of work for little profit (unless its something the PA really wanted for themselves anyway).
What I'd love more is a vein displacement map, especially for the horse so that my TB racehorse looks like he's just come from the track. I'd also like a displacement map of muscles so much QH looks more muscular than he does.

pRabbit

Most people are interested in the clean, cute aspect of the whole deal. I'd love if not only the content creators threw their ideas overboard that the content must be universally appealing. Creatures are made of flesh and bone, and I'm so tired of seeing Genesis 8 Female perfect person with super eyebrows and yum yum boobs iteration 1000. That's not a bad thing in general, especially if the creators of the content LOVE what they're doing. I admire them. Still. Skeletons. Monsters. Creatures. Animals. Dirty, loud, mysterious. That would be so sharp to see <3

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Most people are interested in the clean, cute aspect of the whole deal. I'd love if not only the content creators threw their ideas overboard that the content must be universally appealing. Creatures are made of flesh and bone, and I'm so tired of seeing Genesis 8 Female perfect person with super eyebrows and yum yum boobs iteration 1000. That's not a bad thing in general, especially if the creators of the content LOVE what they're doing. I admire them. Still. Skeletons. Monsters. Creatures. Animals. Dirty, loud, mysterious. That would be so sharp to see <3

An extension of glamor pinup and photo shopping to get that smooth clear unblemished effect are with us. They even have a darn air brush makeup applicator for women to get all that smoothing done en carne (in flesh on the face!) getting rid of photoshop on the street! lot of Poser fantasy artist seem to not adhere to the standards of realism I see in so many other images created by non poser artists. It seems to come out sometimes lime vector art with more fuzzy detail as if all the details were rubbed out by the smudge too.
I would love more of the same thing you request. I would love nappy hair or flea bitten fur, scars or flawed hides and human skin, dirty and injured. Especially for battle scenes or outdoor scenes where the figures are comprising an environment in nature. You see scantily clad women in hi heels and perfect makeup being chased by mr monster with perfect skin and coifed hair without any expression when it would be so much greater seeing same damsel in distress, bruised, sweaty, dirty scratched bare feet, torn garments, nappy disarrayed hair running for her life with a scream on her fear torn face.
Maybe it is a question of availability of the elements out there for the figure of choice or maybe despite there being many such add-ons out there, it comes down to lack of detail in the way they create.

I love the details and put as much as possible in my Poser scenes....sometimes too much perhaps some times just not enough to make it seem realistic. But animals monsters and other creatures are left short because there is already so very little support from the community and content creators out of the gate they may never look as real as I would like them to.

For instance I ask for nappier flawed skin for the big cat or Harry or dog. Real animals especially in the wild don't get their coats brushed out and groomed, the fur is hardly ever smooth and velvety it is coarse and raggedy and in places on the body such as joints, neck scruff and chest, groin and belly and neck. I love Chris is adding tufts of hair to the elk I hope he adds more even if just smart propped is enough to add stuff on the animal to add some real hard world of nature realism to it. Of curse the argument has always been you can just add all that in post. A good out I guess but not one I have ever subscribed to. My counter is what if you want to do some animations?

But it is true it is dependent of time/to compensation ration. If there is no notion it will be purchased what incentive will the content creator have to offer it. I just wish I had learned to model and texture when I was younger and my brain more flexible yo wrap around the concepts. I wouldn't be out here in the forums begging for stuff I feel I need. :(

Last edited:

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I think option are what we are asking for here. The option to have it smooth and clean and groomed as well as some add-on options for the opposite effect. They swallow the mule and choke on the tail is the expression that comes to mind. In other words they have already detailed the figure to great effect and instead of taking it to the next level , giving it character morphs, phenomes, expressions and anatomical realism in details and musculature and skins, they stop and move to something else. that is what makes the figures here so much better than those done elsewhere at content paradise for instance. The animals there have always sucked, they still suck and seems the way things go there, will always suck. I would still love to see some scruffy looks for Harry or the Big Cat or The up coming Canides! Scrars, rough nappy fur. snarl and other expressions....all the things that will make them great instead of just GOOD!
My take on it anyway!!

pRabbit

I think option are what we are asking for here. The option to have it smooth and clean and groomed as well as some add-on options for the opposite effect. They swallow the mule and choke on the tail is the expression that comes to mind. In other words they have already detailed the figure to great effect and instead of taking it to the next level , giving it character morphs, phenomes, expressions and anatomical realism in details and musculature and skins, they stop and move to something else. that is what makes the figures here so much better than those done elsewhere at content paradise for instance. The animals there have always sucked, they still suck and seems the way things go there, will always suck. I would still love to see some scruffy looks for Harry or the Big Cat or The up coming Canides! Scrars, rough nappy fur. snarl and other expressions....all the things that will make them great instead of just GOOD!
My take on it anyway!!

Smith Micro is a through and through cynical corporation when it comes to Poser and content, at least that's my take on Content Paradise and their treatment of their own software. They somehow stopped evolving around 2004 (give or take a few years) in regards of content and modernizing Poser and that's where DAZ broke in. I really don't know all the details behind the happenings, even though I'm a long time adopter, but suddenly there was that fresh, new software named "DAZ Studio" that made it possible to freely move the camera in the preview workspace with acceptable FPS even in more complex scenes - something Poser can't do to this day. Granted, Studio has other, heavy shortcomings, and DAZ is about to become the same cynical piece of ... developer (d-Force more important than working IK? That's top level trolling.), but at that time when SM showed weakness, they did something right. I digress however, sorry for that. Years of frustration, ton of money spent without ever seeing a proper revolution during the last years in the niche market of posing software. Don't know what Poser's currently doing, but as far as I understand they got a very good project manager on board again a while ago, and I hope he gets everything he needs to even out the very discrepancy that made this whole market the viscid mess it is today.

I LOVE your comment about choking on the tail, and that's a content creators problem. We got these awesome models, which had a lot of thought put into them for rigging here and there, and still they can't express anything beyond basics. It's like their faces don't have muscles. Can't raise an eyebrow, can't smile, can't smirk, can't stretch out their tongue. That's a bastion I'd love to see conquered, together with a more grimy approach to the texture work, although I understand both are a metric ton of work for the creators. At the moment I'm always buying the cat in the sack, and this can only go on for so long until I lose all incentive to spend my money. That's why I like HiveWire's original products. Buy animal, feel how much love was put into its creation from nose to tail tip. If the texture isn't "realistic" enough, I still can give it a run down through Manga Studio (ironically a Smith Micro software. Damn it.) with some grime brushes.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Yeah, the Hivewire team does it from the heart. You look at the animals and run them through their paces and know the creators loved the animals they create from and loved creating the animals they sell.
I wish there were more of them on the team. I love the projected project ideas and grow impatient.....as most Poser users have always been......waiting for some of them but that is as it is.
Realistically I have so much money invested in all this, one would think I would be at the computer day and night creating my imagery. But alas since May when I lost my computer, my car got totaled and i wound up in the hospital on antibiotic iv for an acute case of diverticulitis. The computer is back up, my car is fixed up and my infection is gone but still can not seem to focus on getting new work done. And along with that I have stopped trolling the stores and spending money on Poser. Seems I have lost the fever.
Sad day that was in May.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Glad my snarl worked for you, Chris! ;-)

Still working on the black lab texture, hopefully I'll have it ready to go along with the other two. :)

Have you looked into xoloitzcuintli (show-low-eetz-queent-lee), xolo for short? They are awesome apartment dogs and they come in a number of different sizes (standard/miniature/toy) as well as hairless/coated variants. They are also very easy to train, because they are extremely intelligent and friendly. They are also among the most ancient dog breeds still in existence, and were considered to be sacred by the Aztecs.

Definately, a beautiful dog. Look Egyptian or something like African Ridfbebacks. Their faces look smart actually.
wonder what their life span is?

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Freaking wow Chris and Spary! Love it. Wish someone had taken the extra time and done that to the MilDogs!
I guess noone cared about realistic dogs back then. I wonder what the frell was the point.

Thanks, Carmen! I'm glad you like the snarl. ^.^ The MilDog has its pros and cons, it came with a lot of skins, and a good amount of morphs, but the development time was spent on shape morphs rather than expression and posing morphs. The advantage of doing things this way, with a base animal that can be expanded upon with further breeds, is that more attention can be paid to the details of the base as well as each breed.

Definately, a beautiful dog. Look Egyptian or something like African Ridfbebacks. Their faces look smart actually.
wonder what their life span is?

South American breed, life expectancy 14-17 years on average.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Thanks, Carmen! I'm glad you like the snarl. ^.^ The MilDog has its pros and cons, it came with a lot of skins, and a good amount of morphs, but the development time was spent on shape morphs rather than expression and posing morphs. The advantage of doing things this way, with a base animal that can be expanded upon with further breeds, is that more attention can be paid to the details of the base as well as each breed.

South American breed, life expectancy 14-17 years on average.

but there were no other attempts made by ANYONE to add more features to the MilDog beyond what came out of the box. I very much liked the idea of getting many breeds in the Plus Plus add-on expansion but as usual there was no other attempt made to add more versatility to it like paw fixes, Snarls, accessories and more breeds, were completely abandoned which reinforces my point of their swallowing the mule (dog!) while choking on the tail. So annoying a practice in the overall Poser community for so long. Though I see things being different here despite the other fact there are so few content creators here to churn out the goods forcing users to wait a LOOOOOG time to get anything besides the base figure let alone extras. Not whining per se' just stating the glaring fact. Of course when finally something IS done it is great so I guess it makes up for all the wait, but my bone pickin here is more with DAZ who did have more crew and options to get'er done! and never did it.

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
but there were no other attempts made by ANYONE to add more features to the MilDog beyond what came out of the box. I very much liked the idea of getting many breeds in the Plus Plus add-on expansion but as usual there was no other attempt made to add more versatility to it like paw fixes, Snarls, accessories and more breeds, were completely abandoned which reinforces my point of their swallowing the mule (dog!) while choking on the tail. So annoying a practice in the overall Poser community for so long. Though I see things being different here despite the other fact there are so few content creators here to churn out the goods forcing users to wait a LOOOOONG time to get anything besides the base figure let alone extras. Not whining per se' just stating the glaring fact. Of course when finally something IS done it is great so I guess it makes up for all the wait, but my bone pickin here is more with DAZ who did have more crew and options to get'er done! and never did it.

If I remember correctly, the MilDog didn't have any empty morph channels the way M3/V3 did, so making expansion morphs was a somewhat tricky proposition. The animal figures weren't designed to be expanded on the way the human figures were. Understandable, I suppose, since at the time even commercial characters for the human figures were by and large dial-spins, finding a product that included a "custom character" was a rarity.

Nowadays, that's not a problem, since both Studio and Poser have built-in features for adding new morph channels to figures.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Sure getting anxious for our 'doggy in the window'.... !!! Hope a lot of the 'quiet-ness' around here means folks are working hard behind the scenes getting him ready for us! :)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Sure getting anxious for our 'doggy in the window'.... !!! Hope a lot of the 'quiet-ness' around here means folks are working hard behind the scenes getting him ready for us! :)

Yeah, I hope that too. I think we all were hoping he'd be out in October. Final poses are being worked on. Still needs to go back to Sparky for final product imagery once poses are complete.

Patience is highly over rated. Ha.

Here's a few screen grabs to show dog efforts continue from my end. This is early work on our Labrador puppy.

LabWork279.JPG

LabWork280.JPG

LabWork281.JPG

LabWork282.JPG

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
ohhhh I was just about to ask if we are getting an older Puppy! This Buster is going to be AWESOME!

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Standing ready to do promos for the lab and do the finishing work on the other dog projects I've started (need a Studio version of the figure to edit the joint centers).

Puppy's looking very cute. ^.^ Just don't forget the giant, pudgy paws! ;-)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Standing ready to do promos for the lab and do the finishing work on the other dog projects I've started (need a Studio version of the figure to edit the joint centers).

Puppy's looking very cute. ^.^ Just don't forget the giant, pudgy paws! ;-)

Thanks, haven't touched the feet yet.

Tonight during our team skype meeting Paul showed off the poses he's worked up. They're all finished now and look amazing. I'm creating a couple additional morph adjustments before all goes to QAV in a day or so.

So... very close now.