• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
When it's released :p

Sorry, Rae, couldn't resist lol...

Seriously, though. Paul's still working on finishing things up and then he'll get it to Beta and then to QAV ;)

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Even just to be able to get those big teeth would be great :)

Haha Alisa, I was getting really excited thinking it would be cool for the jungle love contest :)

Stezza

Dances with Bees
SabreTooth kitty in Carrara -- naughty SabreTooth! :eek:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
How did you get the big teeth Stezza? I used the teeth dials and it doesn't get any where near as long as that.

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Thought I'd try a size comparison between Smiley (Fatalis) and Big Kitty! I suspect Dusk may have to hit the Gym before tackling that guy. Now did anyone mention one of the prettiest cats of all - the Cheetah?***

***After Big Kitty of course!

Smilodon v Leopard.jpg

Estimated Body Weight:
Smilodon fatalis: 160-280 kg (353-617 lb)
Smilodon gracilis: 55-100 kg (121-221 lb)
Smilodon populator:
Up to 400 kg (882 lb)
Body Length: Smilodon fatalis: 175 cm (68.9 in) (measured rump to snout)
Height at Shoulder: Smilodon fatalis: 100 cm (39.37 in)
Tail Length: Smilodon fatalis: 35 cm (13.8 in)

General Description
  • Similar in size to modern African Lion, but more robust with slightly shorter limbs.
  • Nearly 18 cm long (7 inch) canine teeth (Homotherium's canines were around 10 cm or 4 in long.
Information curtesy of San Diego Zoo.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Tried an experiment with our new cat... I 'released' the canine upper length dial (added "O"'s) and got much longer teeth, BUT they distort, so does need a new morph, or at the very least POST work.... I often release dial limits by changing the numbers to suit, but am very careful not to go beyond what looks 'right' in the view...
-Poser 2014

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I am hoping there will also be a hairless kitty made available. I love their long ears and hairless (or relatively hairless) pinkish skins with all those wrinkles. But most of all I love their incredible faces.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Love the big cat and put it in my wishlist qhen it was released. But creating fantasy art I was hoping to eventually also getting a good sabertooth cat as well and will wait to buy big kitty if and when that is released.
Also, desperately waiting for the Spanish Bull but I know that is on another thread! ;)

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
A manticore and a sphinx would be cool. The manticore might be iffy because of the triple rows of teeth. Not sure how one would fit that into a supposedly human shaped mouth (still, no one ever said the head was in scale). And for that matter, who ever got close enough to see that there were *three* rows of teeth and lived to tell the tale?
There is an old argument I have received from content creators of fantasy characters that "It is a fantasy figure and therefore what is right or wrong way of making it">
I look at things according to weight and balance and distribution.The Minotaur had a bulls head and horns on a human body. Those images that show a massive hump and strong shoulder, neck and chest musculature look the most "realistic". Adding a fairly balanced head size helps a lot in contributing to the look and feel of the final figure . If the balance is off even though a fantasy figure, it just looks cartoonish and unusable for me anyway especially when put in a render beside a real world figure like human or equine or canine etc..

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Oh they're still usable, but veeeeeery long in the tooth.

Lately someone over on DAZ has started offering sets of flat and curved background images in Studio format. Things like Cityscapes, or mountain scapes. Theirs seem typically to have a water ground plane.

Something like that ought not to be difficult to create (theirs use transmaps so they aren;t rectangular in use. They have properly irregular skylines). I think they are designed to be used as backdrops *inside* a skydome. With a decent ground plane you could build pretty much any kind of environment.

Of course one can also wait in hope for a DS-compliant version of the Terradome. (Poser users don't have to wait.)

I picked up the super environment set at RDNA before they sold out/merged with DAZ but for some reason have not used it. Got so much stuff I forget all I have! :(
But there are also some really nice simple sets at Renderosity by
SabreTooth kitty in Carrara -- naughty SabreTooth! :eek:

this is cool but one thing needs to be remembered the sabertooth or of the smilodon species of the animal was twice as large as a modern lion from what comparative studies I have seen and too, because of the size of the huge long sabre teeth the jaw needed a greatly readjusted range, widening the opening to compensate for the teeth. If a sabertoth breed is made from this beautiful cat here I hope that i taken into consideration in its development and not just morphing the teeth bigger. Also need more scruff added perhaps as a transmapped smart prop under chin, base of tail, top of neck and loins. Again simple smart props with god texturing and transmapping would take it farther than most big cat figures I have seen.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Thought I'd try a size comparison between Smiley (Fatalis) and Big Kitty! I suspect Dusk may have to hit the Gym before tackling that guy. Now did anyone mention one of the prettiest cats of all - the Cheetah?***

***After Big Kitty of course!

View attachment 14441

Estimated Body Weight:
Smilodon fatalis: 160-280 kg (353-617 lb)
Smilodon gracilis: 55-100 kg (121-221 lb)
Smilodon populator: Up to 400 kg (882 lb)
Body Length: Smilodon fatalis: 175 cm (68.9 in) (measured rump to snout)
Height at Shoulder: Smilodon fatalis: 100 cm (39.37 in)
Tail Length: Smilodon fatalis: 35 cm (13.8 in)

General Description
  • Similar in size to modern African Lion, but more robust with slightly shorter limbs.
  • Nearly 18 cm long (7 inch) canine teeth (Homotherium's canines were around 10 cm or 4 in long.
Information curtesy of San Diego Zoo.

Nice comparisons. Like the model. Where did it come from?

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Oh they're still usable, but veeeeeery long in the tooth.

Lately someone over on DAZ has started offering sets of flat and curved background images in Studio format. Things like Cityscapes, or mountain scapes. Theirs seem typically to have a water ground plane.

Something like that ought not to be difficult to create (theirs use transmaps so they aren;t rectangular in use. They have properly irregular skylines). I think they are designed to be used as backdrops *inside* a skydome. With a decent ground plane you could build pretty much any kind of environment.

Of course one can also wait in hope for a DS-compliant version of the Terradome. (Poser users don't have to wait.)

I picked up the super environment set at RDNA before they sold out/merged with DAZ but for some reason have not used it. Got so much stuff I forget all I have! :(
But there are also some really nice simple sets at Renderosity not sure who by but just picked up The Rift and Green Valley, RPC Australian Outback and a few others which are a nice combo of cyclorama-like flat or curved textured planes joined with well made and seamlessly textured mesh foregrounds of rocks and plants and grounds. Way worth the money for the variety they offer.