• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

Freyfaxi

Adventurous
The big Cat is looking better and better, and my wallet is eagerly awaiting the next incarnation :) As an aside, does anyone know if there's going to be a *hairy* version of the cats, like there is with the gorilla ?

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
The big Cat is looking better and better, and my wallet is eagerly awaiting the next incarnation :) As an aside, does anyone know if there's going to be a *hairy* version of the cats, like there is with the gorilla ?

Yes, I know Tiny is capable, has the interest, and has the Big Cat to make it happen for the Poser side. She's also excited about adding fur to our House Cat (which I need to get her a copy to play with), and she's also interested in adding fur to our wolf.

We also have a capable artist working on adding fur with LAMH for Studio.

So... good things continue to happen.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Lyne, we're glad that you love our Big Cat. Yay! That's great to hear and see by way of your renders.

I'm personally looking forward to the day that you'll be able and willing to swap out your avatar with our House Cat model. :)

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
I'm wondering if it would be possible to make a prop- with however you are doing the whiskers- that could be posed and placed in the transition between the head and ears, and on the cheeks. Just an idea, since it does not look like a LAMH preset will happen. ( LAMH always crashes for me so I'm hoping for a different solution anyway)

So something sort of like a mane, but very short, that could be posed along the backbone and the ruff of the neck??

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
First off, I am not an artist. I am just a consumer, so I hope I am not unwelcomed here. I have always been interested in 3D art but never had the time to learn. I have recently retired and hope to learn to use Daz Studio - I hope I am not too old learn. Secondly, I have always been a fan of the great cats, extant or extinct, and have just purchased your Big Cat and Panther. I am glad that you are going to do all 8 extant big cats (or rather 9, considering that there are 2 species of clouded leopard) and perhaps Smilodon fatalis/populator. Regarding reconstructing extinct cats, I think the best reconstructions are those done by the paleoartist Mauricio Anton. Check out his web page: chasing sabretooths
and his book: https://www.amazon.com/Sabertooth-Life-Past-Mauricio-Antón/dp/025301042X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471422561&sr=1-1&keywords=sabertooth
Barbourofelis frickii is another interesting subject, although it is not a true cat but from a related family - It has large saber teeth with matching mandibular flanges to sheath them. It otherwise resemble a stockier Smilodon.

interesting links. thanks.
my new favorites are now that awesome bear dog and that wickedly dangerous looking Eurasian cat Eusmilus.
also love the bulky hunkering predatory body of that Pachycrocuta brevirrostris
hyena. would be a gorgeous runtime addition.

Last edited:

Harimau

Eager
Thanks for all the welcoming posts - makes me feel at home. Carmen, there are lots of other interesting reconsturctions on that site with archives dating back to June 2011

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Yes and I looked backwards through all of them.Very nice artwork ans studious information. I have always been a fan of NGM and seeing that cover illustration brought back memories. I have many hard cover books by NatGeo when I was a school boy that covered primitive and older civilizations from prehistory through the major historical periods and loved most especially the illustrations used to help tell the stories.
As far as preferred animals in my work I tend to gravitate either towards the moat powerful and wickedly intimidating or the more unique and interesting and less known or illustrated of them. The few I mentioned stood out the most to and I would love them to work with.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I'm personally looking forward to the day that you'll be able and willing to swap out your avatar with our House Cat model. :)
Ohhhhh YA!! I can't wait to convert my 4 beloved felines to your house cat... They (especially Travis- my avi-cat) have incarnated through EVERY poser cat since the beginning of Poser time... They will not be as good as Laurie's maps for sure.... but I'll do my best... my maps were larger, but NOT as large as the new HW cat's mapping... hmmm I'll do Travis/Nickie right away, but Punkin and Clancy (my black cat) may have to wait... er... and depending on when the house cat comes out, I may be 'down for the count' with my surgery.... still will be great to LOOK FORWARD TO!! Big Kitty is sure helping me survive this long waiting period leading up to my surgery!!! :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
First off, I am not an artist. I am just a consumer, so I hope I am not unwelcomed here. I have always been interested in 3D art but never had the time to learn. I have recently retired and hope to learn to use Daz Studio - I hope I am not too old learn. Secondly, I have always been a fan of the great cats, extant or extinct, and have just purchased your Big Cat and Panther. I am glad that you are going to do all 8 extant big cats (or rather 9, considering that there are 2 species of clouded leopard) and perhaps Smilodon fatalis/populator. Regarding reconstructing extinct cats, I think the best reconstructions are those done by the paleoartist Mauricio Anton. Check out his web page: chasing sabretooths
and his book: https://www.amazon.com/Sabertooth-Life-Past-Mauricio-Antón/dp/025301042X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471422561&sr=1-1&keywords=sabertooth
Barbourofelis frickii is another interesting subject, although it is not a true cat but from a related family - It has large saber teeth with matching mandibular flanges to sheath them. It otherwise resemble a stockier Smilodon.
Hi Harimau and welcome to the Hive...all are welcome here consumers, artists and hobbyists. I'm still looking forward to retirement and I'm sure you'll enjoy learning to use DS. If you need any help sing out. We have a number of DS users here who would be happy to help. Thanks for the links on Sabre tooths...

Last edited:

Mythocentric

Extraordinary
Welcome to the Hive Harimau! As Pendraia says if you need to know anything just ask because you could'nt be in a better place. Enjoy! :welcome:

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
So is the House Cat and Big Cat Cub going to be released about the same time?

I think the House Cat should be named Sammy. That can be a male or female name! :D