• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Hi Chris,

Had a good look at the attachments given above by Desertsilver. Your models of the cougar (Puma concolor) are really nice, but they are not the final ones yet, are they? I hope it is not out of place for me to comment on the current models.
1. The cougar and its close relative the cheetah are quite distinct from the other big cats. They are actually big "small cats". They have proportionately smaller heads relative to their body size when compared to the other big cats. Your model's head, I think could be a wee bit smaller.
2. It has a long heavy tail, about two thirds to almost the combined length of its head and body. I think you captured this very well indeed.
3. Among all the the big cats, the cougar has proportionately the biggest hind limbs of all, allowing it to make spectacular leaps. The hind limbs of your model could be made a bit bigger.
Here are 2 pictures I downloaded from the Web to illustrate the points that I am making.View attachment 15376 View attachment 15375

I can't resist this picture of a kitten with its mother. Hint: I hope you will include a kitten in your release.View attachment 15377
Incidentally, there IS another puma, the jaguarundi (Puma yagouaroundi). This is a rather unusual looking small small cat - see the following picturesView attachment 15378
View attachment 15379
View attachment 15380

You may consider this a future project????

Love the jaguarundi. A really unusually beautiful cat. Unique streamlined face almost looks like a mink or ferret thpough no comparison but the shape of the snout/muzzle and size compared to body make for some interesting portraiture/looks. Would love this as a possible morph add-on later.
Where is it from? I have never seen images of it before...though I vaguely recall the name just not from where or when.

Harimau

Eager
Love the jaguarundi. A really unusually beautiful cat. Unique streamlined face almost looks like a mink or ferret thpough no comparison but the shape of the snout/muzzle and size compared to body make for some interesting portraiture/looks. Would love this as a possible morph add-on later.
Where is it from? I have never seen images of it before...though I vaguely recall the name just not from where or when.
It's from Central and South America. It inhabits a broad range of both open and closed habitats, including rainforest, swamp and savanna woodland, savanna, thickets, and semi-arid thorn scrub.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Showing some of the very early work I started on the male lion. This is without the mane so far of course. Just getting shaping and size relationships established. This male would be 3.9 ft tall at the shoulder (as in wikapedia). The lioness with be a bit shorter but not shown yet. My goal is to get the male done with mane (not a Barbary Lion mane either), then create the lioness from that.

Combo images include the Male Lion, Leopard, Cougar, Leopard Cub, and House Cat.

leopard282.JPG
leopard283.JPG
leopard284.JPG
leopard285.JPG

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Looking great Chris. Can't wait to see how you do the Mane, or are you going to leave that up to Tiny? ;)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Oh barf!!!

In a good supportive barfy kind of way. Like hold the hair and turn away while you hug the big O.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
OH MY G.O.D.!
was drinking coffee still in a post bed trance when I scrolled down to this image and almost choked. I LOVE THIS IMAGE. What a freaky looking creature. Are we going to get the option of getting one like it on one of the morph paks for the animals...I say animals because I have no real clue if it is feline or canine or if it resides in some dark place in between!

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I'll model in a sweet mane as a very solid base for the Lion. Tiny or whoever else will be most welcome to add on fiber or strand based hair.
nice looking place holder in my book. Wondering here what is the mane made of for the DAZ MilCat1 set? That pretty much looks nice enough to me for my purposes I am pretty sure it is a transmapped mesh though can't swear by it since I have not used it in a while.
I have several hair and beard props etc. offered around the community that look like strands but didn't need hair room access. Is that something else entirely Chris (s0orry just knowledgeable enough to be annoying some times)?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
There are some hairs that have been created using microfibers in Zbrush. Neftis and Mec4D have created some of those. Generally they are considered very heavy for many computers to use. It's also what AM used on some of his earlier animals.