• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
More screen grabs from today showing efforts on the mane. Getting most of the mane on the head and face now. Will start on the neck portion tomorrow.

leopard303.JPG
leopard304.JPG
leopard305.JPG
leopard306.JPG
leopard307.JPG

pRabbit

Quick question time. My apologies that I throw this stuff in here once in a while, but I can't help myself, since what Chris is doing here looks a lot like a "best practice" (also looks awesome by the way), and if there's a chance to learn from it, oh well. I've noticed a lot of what appears to be "curved edges" in the model - is that a modificator (subdivison surfaces, e.g.) in the modelling software applied to the view or is that a "real physical" thing going on in today's 3d modelling?

pRabbit

If you are talking about the curved edges on the mane hair strands, it looks to me like Chris has the smooth modifier turned on in Modo (TAB key). To achieve that look in Poser or Studio, the surfaces will need to be subdivided.

Thank you very much for the insight! Always good to know how to interpret what's seen on the screen :)

Exactly right. Thanks Ken.

The WIP postings are very insightful, and the question "How on earth is he doing that?" came and comes to my mind more than once. Thanks to you and the whole crew for letting me, us, participate in the process man. It's a ton of informative fun to watch.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Wow, I missed a lot! I haven't been being notified! Going to have to check that email/alerts are on!

So, a question, not a criticism, just curious.....
On the HiveWire Horse, where the breeds are and the foal, they are different colors in the parameter tab, which makes it really easy to find them in the long list of amazing morphs and adjustments. Why wasn't the cub done the same way? Or is it something that's planned for the future when there are more breeds/morphs for the Big cat?

*That was a really awkward sentence! lol*

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Great idea Dakorillon. Not sure why it don't happen, perhaps we just forgot. We'll have to take a note of the different colors and make sure we do that when the Cougar, Lion and others are offered.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh now there's a thought I wouldn't have realized. Hmmmm, run the mane through the Cloth Room in Poser. Hmmmm . . . .

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
I've run hair props through Poser's cloth room before successfully, but in order to get them from falling apart during simulations I had to export them and add a new material zone at the "roots" so that I could constrain the vertices in the cloth room more easily. It takes a long time... I LOVE the way VWD handles it; you just tell the software how far away from the base figure should be considered a "root", and then it selects everything in the near vicinity and makes it stick to the figure.

P.S. It's on sale for 50% off this week (and I'm not the one who invented it, so I don't make anything for advertising...;)).

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, I've had to do the constraining as well, otherwise everything falls apart, especially if it isn't all one piece.