• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Freebies by Catherine3678a

Next tutorial could be something for Dawn ;-)
And I have a wonderful discovery in watching over some old T.V. programs [now out in DVDs] - a LOT of sets and props were indeed used in several shows therefore not necessary pertaining to any "one" program so if/as time and the weather permits it's quite possible that I might make or remake some props and sets accordingly. That would get them out of the necessarily fanart posting category.

Tutorial WIP - images in the editing basket. Made a quick dress using the .free resource kit provided by Devil-Lived.
I edited the gown in Hexagon showing some of the workflow to be able to; then the steps for getting it to be a nice clothing piece with all those nice morphs provided in the kit.
For those using Hexagon, import in first the "dress dummy" for Dawn; then import in at whatever setting it takes [seems to vary] in order to have the item 'land' on the figure. For the gown I was using 0.41 m.

new dress for Dawn.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks...only just on the computer for the first time in a long time. Hopefully I'll get chance this weekend to download stuff.

You're welcome Pendraia :)

The other company has released a new free model so of course we all ran over to get one too :)
Loads with no eyelashes! There is one man in this world which many have heard of who has no eyelashes to speak because his "pet" gorillas like to pluck them out. Most of us would not keep "pet" gorillas although that is not the first reason that comes to mind as to for why. I'm sure everybody wanted to know this lol ...

Okay... I tried to follow some instructions to convert clothing to the new figure ... maybe the instructions require the up-to-date program [which would make sense] BUT you know me, let's see what can be done in 4.6. Well, basically one can forget using the auto-fit options for G8. However "remaking" clothing was a breeze. To do that from G3 to G8 requires that G3 be posed as G8 and since I needed one, I made it and it's a share. Brief instructions in the readme for the "remake workflow" are included.
It's at DA click here.

And it's available here too :)

remaking clothing.jpg

Last edited:
Made a discovery. IF one morphs Genesis 8 to Genesis 3 AND do the reverse of the posing settings [putting G8 into a T pose], then shoot that over the bridge to Hexagon, then in D/S dial out everything in Genesis 8 and reset its pose to A, then from Hexagon send back over the bridge that Genesis shape in T position and make another clone morph [name it clearly so you know what it is] .... THAT works better as a clothing clone in the auto-fit pop-up. And yes I know that's a nice long running sentence ;-)

I do wish we could edit posts, I should clarify that by "working better" I mean working better than the existing morph found in Hidden.

Tinkering away this generation also has to have the UVs "collapsed" if one wants to paint textures in programs such as Hexagon and other old programs. That can easily be done in the editions of D/S which export out .obj with the option to collapse the uv set. No groups in exporting, import back in for the new uvset.

Apologizes for the no notice but have again "deactivated" my DA account. It's the only way to clear out the photos en masse ... my account is a free one and I do not wish to take undue advantage of their free storage.

I do have some learning projects for myself in mind, and if they pan out ... am hoping to have some nifty tutorials available later on.

Info updates:
Okay ... I have the boot mesh and a purchased boot mesh to play around with in a tutorial WIP, well it's on the burner.
And lucked into a gee, RESOURCE item, wonderful I thought, good golly who writes these readmes! So me thought, me thinks maybe EITHER people need to know how to mix a "resource morph" WITH their morphs in order to make a merged together type of morph which could be redistributed - if truly packages called "resource" WERE resources, as opposed to ... hehehe ... oh dear. Oh buy it and read the readme. With those limitations unless the industry has way better morphing knowledge than I do [which is quite possible] I for one see it as anything BUT a "resource." Just some more morphs for to add to one's collection [which is fine in itself].

Another option is to make one's morph with the allegedly resource morph [or any other morph for that matter], BUT then to SAVE ONLY one's very own MORPH with NONE of the other morph present. One could then redistribute their own morph of course AND a "preset" which would load both their morph and the other morph IF the other morph is already present on the customers' computers. Sliders that dial in support morphs are also make able in Daz Studio [and saves folk having to remember which figure their new character is for].

If I get really bored, I might try to figure out how to do some of all that other stuff we're not supposed to do with that particular resource just to find out what they're talking about. Or maybe I might to land a mesh of a centaur and figure out how to rig that.

Morphs for Dusk on sale

A very nice person writes those readmes ;-) And apparently the sale price has been adjusted, so suit yourselves ... if you have something to work with while following the tutorial would be good, was the basic idea.

I did not find a free centaur to target in a tutorial BUT there is an English Bulldog!!! YES!!! Finally after years of searching there is an affordable model ... nab it while you can IF you want one. That means "download" it too. When free items are no longer free they cannot be downloaded from one's account over at Turbosquid.

Real type English Bulldog

There are a couple of file types included in the sample download both of which loaded just fine in Daz Studio 4.6.
It is uvmapped but not rigged. So is a good candidate for a rigging tutorial ;-)

Erwin0265

Motivated
Oh, Catherine, you have been almost an hour's frustration for me today..................:notworthy:
Let me explain.
I have been learning how to create morphs using Zbrush to use in DS 4.9. However, one part of the workflow (for morphs that affect the figure in a "major" way) is the need to use the Joint Editor, right click on one of the bones > Edit > Adjust Rigging to Shape. However, for my figure (Swidhelm's Skywyrm Bull - a dragon figure; Wyvern actually), this doesn't work and some of my morphs have been getting strange side-effects (like lengthening the neck makes the dragon's mouth close so far that it comes up through the top of the head...Ouch!).
So I posted on the DAZ forums and it was suggested that my figure probably had "Legacy Rigging". To me, "Legacy Rigging" means old-rigging-system (which I never knew existed). So, without an actual solution to my problem, I started Googling, "Daz Studio Legacy Rigging", and found this, "Legacy Rigging in D/S4 -- of figures :)" posted by Patience55 on the Daz Forums. Unfortunately, all of the links provided were dead (all DA links). So I kept hunting and kept being directed back to this same poston the Daz Forums.
So I thought I'd do a search for "Patience55" on DA and found "Patience55" had become "Patience55anotherone"; and then "alberta-rose"; and then "Catherine3678a"; all the while offering lots of wonderful tutorials I couldn't access :cry::confused:....
But, during my searching, I thought I'd send a message to your alter-ego, Patience55 on the Daz Forums asking for help to access the "Daz Studio Legacy Rigging" tutorial (I have no idea whether you still frequent the Daz Forums, or your mailbox there; so I thought I might contact you here on your freebies thread.
Through my search, I also found that you had written another tutorial (and probably yet another in addition to that) of great interest to me.
"GeoGrafting Rigged Mesh [we make a 6 legged horse]" and your centaur creation ideas. I created a centaur using Harry and G3F (removing horse head & G3F legs geometry and parenting G3F's hips to HH's chest); it needed tweaking for most poses or morph changes but it worked OK; but I'm always looking for a better solution (I don't really like Daz's Centaur 7 as it uses Daz Horse 2 and HH is much better wrt realistic joints and overall appearance AND HH went Iray before DH2 did...lol).
Daz's Centaur 7 has given us some great sets of clothing (something that was rather lacking overall).
So...yeah....anyway...phew....what a merry-go-round................
AND... to finally get to the point; could I ask you for a copy of (or access to; or a link to; etc) your tutorial/s; "Daz Studio Legacy Rigging", "GeoGrafting Rigged Mesh [we make a 6 legged horse]" and your centaur creation ideas?
Thanking you in advance - I do hope you find a suitable home for all of your tutorials and other freebies. I must admit to being totally oblivious to any of your contributions to the Poser/Daz/Hivewire communities; it's rare to find someone who creates so many tutorials (Most artists appear almost scared to write a tutorial. I was a high school teacher for 25 years and have helped a few artists write tutorials....).
On a "side-shoot", coincidentally, the first post I found on the Daz Forums by Patience55 also had several entries from Pendraia, written back in August 2014... memories...:whistling:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Lol...I've been following Patiences post for some time now so thats hardly surprising iirc it was around the time i was learning to use hex and that is a long time ago.

Erwin0265

Motivated
Yeah, you created a post, "Legacy rigging in the current version of Daz Studio" and one reply redirected you to one of the tutorials I'm after, "Legacy Rigging in D/S4 -- of figures :)"; so you were probably where I am right now, except I already use (and am still learning) Zbrush; I never could get into Hexagon (I tried C4D for a while but most of what I'm interested in is organic stuff and although C4D does have sculpting which is pretty good; I find ZB a lot easier and there is just so much info available for it compared to most other programs; except maybe for Maya and Max)......
And... in 9 days I'll be 55 and I'm already patient... so what does that mean?.............:speechless:

Well another 5 years and the patient have patience lol ... hehehe ... okay.
1. Ask a mod to remove zee email address 'k. No need to post those.
2. I have normally re-upped tutorials for requests and do indeed have 'em all "somewhere." Some are in "very" safe places lol ...
What I do have right now is something of a haphazard access to the internet so communications will have some lags.
I think I've found a place to upload files just haven't tested this particular connection yet to try it.

Was having my own frustrations - got a tutorial all but ready to go when decided "there are too many restrictions" on too many resources and so had a bad hair moment and deleted that one. Might try again when the weather is better.

The requested tutorials AFAIK are handy on my other computer so will try to get those uploaded for you sometime over the course of the week. They are too large to upload here.

I not own "(Swidhelm's Skywyrm Bull - a dragon figure; Wyvern " ... if it is a legacy figure [not weight mapped] the adjust rigging to mesh stuff is not going to work. That's for the weight mapped figures [like Genesis, etc.].