• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Freebies by Catherine3678a

Erwin0265

Motivated
Oh wow! You are just to generous!.......... Thank you!
So what is the significance of Pat Your Head Rub Your Tummy in relation to UV's (unless you just like creating really long acronyms... lol)...........

All are most welcome :)

The phrase just came to me while I was making the promos ;-) Decided to keep it too for the entire collection of UV sets I'm working on.
By the by, one may find that those UVs need to be duplicated a few times and flattened together to get a working copy that will permit a clean selection for the clear backgrounds required.

A really new tutorial - on an idea I've never seen even talked about in any of the forums I've been to - is in the works. While making the images for it I did create a bikini skin clothing set which is now a share. While made for G3F one may find it could work on other figures sharing a similar map.
Skin clothing comes in handy at various times be it for decency or to have something which shows underneath model clothing - with no dangers of poke through ;-)
One may conclude from all of this that the new tutorial covers an idea for how to make some skin clothing :)

Bikini Skin Clothing [NO SKINS included] These are just the bikini parts.

Readme includes some instructions on how to use L.I.E. in D/S as well.

New Skin Suits.jpg

And here's the NEW tutorial!
Daz Studio, Hexagon, L.I.E., image editor ...
n.b. the tutorial is not about actually designing certain clothes items - it's about using the programs to make the templates, etc. I was making the aforementioned Bikini while writing this tutorial. It shows how to use D/S to make a template with the buffer zone, how to use L.I.E. in D/S4.6 [may or not still be applicable in the recent edition], etc. And it shows how to use the uvmap of an actual mesh to make a clothing template STARTER for one's self using Hexagon. Concept should theoretically be possible also in other modelers. One has to be able to manipulate the uvmap ignoring the mesh. Enjoy ;-)

Making Skin Clothes

Making Skin Clothes promo.png

Made a wonderful, not, discovery today. My ol' Corel program can make the layers, save the layers in a .psd and then decide the file is too large and NOT open it!
So my Aiko5 PYHRYT folder has a couple of much smaller .psd files, no masks etc this time. And that's the way it's going to be for the rest too.
I also redid the Genesis Base Female folder just in case that .psd file was giving anybody any issues.

Freak 5

Aiko 5

Genesis Basic Female SMALLER .psd files [no masks etc]

Anubis

Erwin0265

Motivated
I'm totally oblivious as to what formats Corel can work with, but Photoshop has the PSB (as opposed to PSD) file format ('B' as in Big.... duh....). Perhaps Corel has something similar? I've had issues with Photoshop doing the same thing you describe (creating a file it can't open) but all I had to do was change the file format from PSD to PSB (manually) to get it to work again. Mind you; this is for files larger than 2 GB............
Also, FYI; those of us lucky enough to have Photoshop, your original PYHRYT Genesis Base Female file opens up fine (thank you). I currently have no idea what I can use it for but I'll add it to the collection anyway......

Erwin0265

Motivated
So I've been keeping "Yes lentered" busy for the past few weeks..... :giggle:...
Just to show how little I know about UV's; I never realised that all the different Genesis (and presumably Genesis 2, 3,.... 8) characters had different UV's - I just assumed that the UV's morphed just like the character did - but then, I suppose there would be lots of stretching and distortions in the resultant textures.... Mmmm, perhaps I do know a little bit...

Yes I do get a few strange handles here and there - confounded automatic formulas sometimes refuse to let one use the preferred or chosen name/handle.
That site claimed I had not entered a real name and so I replied Yes Ientered ... and that it took, go figure ;-)

My Corel programs are old ones so no idea about the present edition - but no, there's no .psb. And it would never handle anything near 2g in size. Does a lot of things quite nicely though and for the price is more affordable than Photoshop, the industry standard for those in the biz AFAIK.

You may be familiar with how stretched the front of a long skirt can look - that's the UVs showing the texture applied on them. IF that "was" to be the new figure [if all this were say for a character morph of "*" ] then the figure "needs" to have a different UV. So yes, Genesis has a lot of 'em. Each serves a purpose and/or a particular character morph.

With these UVs, one can make and texture new skins, eyes, etc.

I also have a set for Dawn and Dusk in the works - and then the game plan would be to make a tutorial or two ;-)

Erwin0265

Motivated
Ahh! It's an 'I' not an 'L'. "Yes I entered"; that's funny!!! LOL..
With all these freebies that you produce; you really must enjoy creating them. Most would sell such items (as they are of a high standard/quality; frankly, far better than many of the items listed for sale on any of the content-providing sites); it's nice to see that some items of quality can still be gotten for free from generous people such as yourself...
Thank you once again....

You're quite welcome, I usually enjoy making 'em.

Am presently working on something for an eye texturing tutorial using the Gorilla in my examples.

Old Eyes.jpg New Eyes.png

Erwin0265

Motivated
Cool; I often have difficulties getting a "non-Iray" eye to work in Iray (eg. When using a Genesis figure in an Iray render). Retexturing all other parts to work with Iray is fine but getting the eyes to 'behave', I find difficult.
I have a few of the Iray skin packages (that sounds kinda dirty) such as "NGS Anagenessis 2 Revolution" (which is meant to be suitable for all skins; even on animals - hair, scales, etc) and "Iray Smart Converter & Advanced Skin Managers for (Generation 4, Genesis, Genesis 2 & Genesis 3)"; but I still have issues when trying to get eyes just right ("HFS Races - Talarian for Genesis" is one that comes to mind - I can never get the eyes right. PS ends up being my friend in those cases).
So I look forward to learning more about the eye textures as they all (ie. Gen 4, Genesis, G2, G3 G8) appear to have different surfaces/parts/names of parts. Being an ex-science teacher, I often get confused with the eye part names as most of the eye surface names/parts don't correlate to reality (the Cornea covers the whole visible front of the eye, for example; with some of the generations, it only covers the iris.... and there's no such surface as Tear [in reality]...etc).
So much for my uni degree; now I keep getting it wrong!.... lol:(:cry::eek::oops:...etc;)

Erwin0265

Motivated
Oh, I forgot to mention; other than humans, no other animal has a white schlera...... if you're going for realism. Otherwise, the retextured eye is really nice.........

Well some of the Gorilla images showed the whites of the eyes - but could also be black or very dark - I highly recommend getting some decent animal photos if going for realism. Many images on the 'Net are of artwork or 3D models too. What I did notice is that for the Gorilla their irises are quite different than ours too. At any rate, there is a starter .psd file and a bunch of templates ready to play with :)
n.b. There are 2 downloads for the Gorilla. People only need ONE if wanting the tutorial. That package includes all what is in the other Gorilla download.
The 2nd Gorilla download is for those who do not want the tutorial so the file is much smaller in size.

And there's a PYHRYT for the Genesis male as well.

Genesis Gorilla WITH Tutorial

Genesis Gorilla NO Tutorial

Genesis Base Male

Getting a non-Iray eye to work in Iray - is a matter of the shaders used too. One can hold down the Ctrl key when applying an Iray shader, select to keep the original images - and hopefully get it working okay. I'm not an expert on anything to do with Iray.

Making Eyes promo.png

Erwin0265

Motivated
Well, it looks like I was wrong. Previously, it was thought that humans were the only mammal to have a white schlera. But apparently, the original study only looked at 4 gorillas and assumed that whatever these 4 gorillas had, must be representative of all gorillas (ie. bad science; way too small a test group).
So, although rather rare, some gorillas do have white schleras............
BTW, I didn't make my original statement based on looking at online pictures (I know that what we see online isn't necessarily real); I based it on what I had learnt over the years; scientifically speaking.
Many in the arts think of science as being the "opposite" of art; personally, I think of both as being complementary............. Anyway, this is getting a bit off topic.
Just in case you're interested, check this out: There is something weird about this gorilla's eyes

Well, it looks like I was wrong. Previously, it was thought that humans were the only mammal to have a white schlera. But apparently, the original study only looked at 4 gorillas and assumed that whatever these 4 gorillas had, must be representative of all gorillas (ie. bad science; way too small a test group).
So, although rather rare, some gorillas do have white schleras............
BTW, I didn't make my original statement based on looking at online pictures (I know that what we see online isn't necessarily real); I based it on what I had learnt over the years; scientifically speaking.
Many in the arts think of science as being the "opposite" of art; personally, I think of both as being complementary............. Anyway, this is getting a bit off topic.
Just in case you're interested, check this out: There is something weird about this gorilla's eyes

I've watched too many documentaries ;-)
Some of the most fantastic "artwork" seen, is found in nature.

Erwin0265

Motivated
You can never watch too many documentaries; much easier than actually reading (I did enough of that as a teacher...lol)...............;)
Nature definitely has the best canvas; we merely try our best to create something resembling a poor facsimile of one of nature's discarded sketches (did that provide enough of an idea to indicate a small fraction of the respect an awe I have for the art in nature?)............
NATURE IS IN DA HOUSE!!... OK, OK, act your age.......................... ;)

It was VERY hot the other day ... somehow apparently a minor typo slipped by in one of the .psd files. Nothing major so hopefully anyone who notices it fixes it if they want to. My program keeps renaming layers as you work with them anyhow.

Today's uploads include DAWN and DUSK and M4 for Genesis.

PYHRYT for Dawn

PYHRYT for Dusk

M4 Genesis