• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

CWRW Product Previews

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yeah I know what you mean GG- def planning on doing more on my end! - just need more hours in the day!:) I think I want to do the various Siamese colors next for our Kitty once I get this current pack (and then Deer Family, Thistle and my Appy Harry set) wrapped up- I had a wonderful old style hunk of a Seal Point Siamese when I was a kid who was my best bud/even went everywhere with me on a leash (we lived in downtown Burlington VT when I was a kid.)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Talking about fuzzy, I was thinking about normal maps, if they would make the fur deeper, or instead make it look weird?

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Talking about fuzzy, I was thinking about normal maps, if they would make the fur deeper, or instead make it look weird?

Hey Ken

Actually the Orange Tabby and all future sets including this one I am using a normal map- hence the suggestion of fur depth at all- is all up to lighting it to pull it out well. One can always adjust the amount too for different lighting situations and close up vs far away etc. The new Cougar uses one too.

Def still hoping Tiny can add Poser Hair to our big and little kitties! And def looking forward to you VB doing your LAMH for them!!

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
You know, just so happens I have one I made for Dusk. Haven't rigged it or propped it yet, though.
That would be pretty Cool!! ........ I can totally see Taka or Dante rockin a bow tie with some nerdy glasses or add some cuffs and cuff links and it 's Thunder from Downunder!

That would be really cool e! BTW love the pic Napalm!
Thanks it's a googled image, but so darn cute!!

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Hmm......... thinking along the hair lines @phdubrov's up coming SF shaders will give it that semi translucent quality and they deal with light surface scattering if you can get a good Poser fur preset they also have a velvet setting that can be combined with the translucency setting and blended to get different effects so hmm that is definately something to think about.

Doodle Designs

Eager
Contributing Artist
Actually the Orange Tabby and all future sets including this one I am using a normal map- hence the suggestion of fur depth at all- is all up to lighting it to pull it out well. One can always adjust the amount too for different lighting situations and close up vs far away etc.

Maybe a light and camera set product to go with the normal-mapped textures? It would help those of us who are lighting-challenged. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Lighting affects normal maps in many ways, so it depends on how the figure is posed, and in what angle the lights will hit the surface. Like Laurie said, this takes some experimentation to bring out the effect. ^^

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
And those of us who are beyond "challenged"... I have always struggled with lighting, although I have to admit the Iray lighting system is easier for me to understand than previous render engines.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Me too VB, I just wish I could still render :(

DD, there are lighting packs to purchase out there, you just need to find the ones that suit your needs.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@VortigensBane Maybe you are referring to IBL with HDRI lighting presets? Those can greatly simplify lighting at the cost of finer control. However, those were already used in Poser since version 7. way before PBR was introduced. It's not something new or particular to Iray. It's just one of many ways to light a scene with minimum effort, and works great with PBR. :)

VortigensBane

Busy Bee
Not to derail Laurie's thread, but actually, it's the regular light sources in Iray, which work based on things I understand like Kelvins, Watts, lumens, etc. I could never figure out how to get a light to be the color I wanted before. Poser lighting was "easier" to figure out, but I struggled a lot more then than I do now.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@VortigensBane Oh I see - you mean the terminology! In that aspect, this indeed varies a lot between different PBR implementations. Lux works entirely with physical properties, while Poser works with RGB colors, and Octane offers both options for light emitters. Superfly/Cycles also supports physical light profiles (IES), so we can work with that if we prefer. We can download IES profiles straight from the internet and use in Poser if that's what we want. We have to be careful to use real world scale when doing so, though, or the whole thing won't work at all. I am not sure if either Poser or DS care for that.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
My sister had a Calico and she had kittens way way back when. I always liked Calico's. Love all the ideas so far Laurie. All very adorable!

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Yeah I know what you mean GG- def planning on doing more on my end! - just need more hours in the day!:)

Yeah, I can't image how long it takes to do such high quality kitty textures. I wouldn't even know where to begin. But hey, it's summer, so there are more hours in the day right. . . ? I mean it's not like you can use a computer when it's dark outside.