• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have hopes to have Body Type-1 (slender) out to the store still in this month, hopefully. Body Type-3 (voluptuous) has already been submitted for QAV. ^^

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Great news! I have them in my cart just trying to work out if I can afford them this week as I had to renew my service agreement for UVLayout.

Luckily I had some money from Diva in my Paypal so bought both this and narrow shoulders.

Thanks so much for doing the DS versions...

Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Great news! I have them in my cart just trying to work out if I can afford them this week as I had to renew my service agreement for UVLayout.
Luckily I had some money from Diva in my Paypal so bought both this and narrow shoulders.
Thanks so much for doing the DS versions...

Thank YOU for supporting a starving artist! ^____^

The DS versions are simple to make because these products do not include materials. I still don't know how to make MDL shaders, and that's a showstopper. People expect them.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Iray render.. just a quick test head is one of VW's asian heads and wearing Brunhilda.
Body type two test.jpg

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Thank YOU for supporting a starving artist! ^____^

The DS versions are simple to make because these products do not include materials. I still don't know how to make MDL shaders, and that's a showstopper. People expect them.

What exactly do you mean by MDL shaders and people expecting them, all people really expect for DS Iray is Iray settings - using the Iray Uber shader.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
What exactly do you mean by MDL shaders and people expecting them, all people really expect for DS Iray is Iray settings - using the Iray Uber shader.

MDL = nVidia Material Definition Language. All of the I-ray bricks in DS are created with MDL. It's the only thing I-ray understands, and also what makes I-ray materials incompatible with 3DL bricks. If Uber shader can work in I-ray, then it is also made with MDL. Without MDL, all you can make for I-ray are pure texture maps.

I have read the nVidia MDL white paper, which is basically the technical documentation of how it works as a shader programming language. It teaches how to create I-ray shaders by typing lines of MDL code in a text editor. That's is utterly useless in DS, but at least I now understand I-ray's philosophy, how it was designed, why, and what it is trying to do. But still doesn't help me create MDL shaders in DS.

Hope this answers your question. :)

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
MDL = nVidia Material Definition Language. All of the I-ray bricks in DS are created with MDL. It's the only thing I-ray understands, and also what makes I-ray materials incompatible with 3DL bricks. If Uber shader can work in I-ray, then it is also made with MDL. Without MDL, all you can make for I-ray are pure texture maps.

I have read the nVidia MDL white paper, which is basically the technical documentation of how it works as a shader programming language. It teaches how to create I-ray shaders by typing lines of MDL code in a text editor. That's is utterly useless in DS, but at least I now understand I-ray's philosophy, how it was designed, why, and what it is trying to do. But still doesn't help me create MDL shaders in DS.

Hope this answers your question. :)

You don't have to create MDL shaders for DS Iray, all you need to do is create mat presets or Shader presets using the Iray Uber shader, this comes with DS, its what just about everyone else does.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
You don't have to create MDL shaders for DS Iray, all you need to do is create mat presets or Shader presets using the Iray Uber shader, this comes with DS, its what just about everyone else does.

Hehe I have heard of uber shader for a long time, even before I-ray came to DS, but I am a Poser guy and have never seen or used it. Is there documentation for vendors that cover it?

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Iray Uber Base.jpg

This is the shader tparo is talking about, if you double click that, it opens up options to use for Iray in the Surfaces settings. If an item is already set up for 3DL, just using that preset is sometimes all you need or a just slight tweak (of course the more you know about something the more tweaking you can do to make something look better :))

Edited to add: Iray can be like Superfly in that sometimes you can't see the surface until you render.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
There's an Uber shader for 3dl and 1 for Iray, you can apply the iray one from the shader preset folder under Iray>Daz Uber there's a base and several presets.
Sickleyield has a couple of tutorials on DA

Thank you, that might come handy! ^____^

This is the shader tparo is talking about, if you double click that, it opens up options to use for Iray in the Surfaces settings. If an item is already set up for 3DL, just using that preset is sometimes all you need or a just slight tweak (of course the more you know about something the more tweaking you can do to make something look better :))

Oh, I have seen these PBR root nodes in DS, but didn't know where they were coming from! So these are the preset root nodes that ship with DS. I will take a look on it and see if that alone will allow me to recreate the shaders I made in Poser.