• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I know how that is. I have actually spent quite some time converting that Amelia character for Dawn to Poser. When I first saw her at RO, I decided I must have it in Poser, and didn't rest until I did - with all the overlay bells and whistles, and even a little more. That's when I realized most of these characters for Dawn I have purchased at RO didn't include correction morphs for the eyes and leg bending. Apparently, RO doesn't require those, or possibly doesn't test them enough to see the character is not fully working properly. Those kinds of things wouldn't pass on HW QAV by a long shot.
I wish I knew how to convert DS items to Poser. I don't have a new enough version of DS that can work with DUF products, but I have to give you credit Ken, as I'm not sure I'd want to even try, though I certainly like Amelia's look.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I wish I knew how to convert DS items to Poser. I don't have a new enough version of DS that can work with DUF products, but I have to give you credit Ken, as I'm not sure I'd want to even try, though I certainly like Amelia's look.

Good part of the fun was that Amelia used overlays for the makeup, and I love working with those. Most of my recent products have used overlays one way or another. In Poser they show up in previews, but not in DS, which is a bummer. When I made the DS version for the dog bandana, I created the overlays with bricks on ShaderMixer, but nothing shows on previews. I don't know if DS users are used to this, but when I apply the material presets with overlays, it's like nothing happened until you render. With that I have learned to better appreciate the previews we have in Poser.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I rarely used the ShaderMixer in earlier versions of DS. I think I mostly used it for the ShadowCatcher I was using.

As far as preview in Poser, that's only true for those who have a GPU. I don't see a lot of textures correctly until I render, because I only have a CPU.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
ShaderMixer is the way to go if you want to plug more than just a texture map. But with or without GPU, results don't show in previews there. Each brick has its own preview, but at least in my experience, using them can cause DS to freeze up on me. Maybe that's why they are disabled by default.

It kind of makes sense that Poser OpenGL previews require a GPU, since it's hardware accelerated. It's not perfect, but I can see what I am doing when building a new shader, or editing an existing one. That's important to me. It's good to have the option available.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I agree. My old Dell dual core laptop had an nVidia GPU and I miss it, but that laptop died suddenly, and I was in the middle of a project, so didn't have the time to spare to order a new one. I just purchased a ready-made laptop that had everything else I wanted, just no GPU.

My next laptop will definitely have one, that's for sure.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I agree, though I'm also going to be looking for much more RAM. My old laptop didn't have much, maybe 4gb, and this one has 8gb, but I'd like at least 16gb and, if possible with a laptop, a 6-core. Not sure if laptop's come with 8-cores, or that's mostly for desktops. This puppy is fully hyperthreaded, so not bad as far as RAM usage, but the more cores, the better. ;)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
When it comes to more cores, Intel has finally resolved the overheating issues, so I think it's viable to put as many as 6 cores on a laptop, though I bet they do some kind of slowdown to save battery life. Memory is not expensive nowadays, but DDR4 are. At least they were a few years ago when I built my current computer. Maybe prices will go down with time, but for the time being, DDR4 may remain expensive in comparison - especially the quad-channel ones required in my motherboard.

xyer0

Brilliant
Dagnabbit! It's Poser only? Too bad for me. I was so excited to find that Dawn and Sora were on sale, but now I have no reason to get them. Oh well.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Dagnabbit! It's Poser only? Too bad for me. I was so excited to find that Dawn and Sora were on sale, but now I have no reason to get them. Oh well.

I might make a DS version of it. Bringing the body shape into DS is rather simple, but the JCMs are a different story, and the ERCs that control the skeleton animated origins are all lost in translation. There are 2 other body sculpts on the way, so I am looking for a viable way to make this work in DS. I suppose the major barrier is that Poser doesn't support Unimesh when exporting geometry, and DS requires that.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've heard people say its easier to go from DS to Poser for characters but I wouldn't begin to know how :)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I've heard people say its easier to go from DS to Poser for characters but I wouldn't begin to know how :)

Indeed it's easier to convert from DS to Poser, because DS can export Unimesh morph targets, while Poser can't. However, I have just found a way to import Poser JCMs into DS, so it's cumbersome but not impossible. Below is an I-ray test render in DS 4.10 with the Type-2 Body on Dawn, complete with conditional corrective JCMs and automatic animatable origins in native DUF format. Forgive the rather crude render, I am really out of my element in DS.

Test_iray.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I wish I knew what I was doing with stuff like that, I'd love to get CatsEyes into DS. I'd get this figure too (she's in my wishlist but if DS would get bumped up higher on the list :p)

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I wish I knew what I was doing with stuff like that, I'd love to get CatsEyes into DS. I'd get this figure too (she's in my wishlist but if DS would get bumped up higher on the list :p)

I actually have a fully functional CatsEyes for DS, but I have never finished the materials because they didn't show in previews, and by then I didn't know that was normal.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Wants! LOL yeah, some Iray settings don't show until you render

Actually, nothing was showing on previews for both 3DL and I-ray. More recently I have purchased that Amelia character for Dawn from RO, and it uses LIE overlays for the makeup, and these don't show in 3DL previews either. If I switch to I-ray, the entire face turns black, so I understand LIE is not compatible with I-ray? I am not using LIE - I make my own overlays with ShaderMixer by hand, but I suspect this won't work with I-ray either because MDL requires its own shader bricks, and I don't know how to use them (undocumented).

i woul like to have a version for DS too!!
the materials will not be a problem for me if the morphs work!

CatsEyes has all her morphs, ERCs, and JCMs working in DS. She's only missing the materials. I have already created the overlay shaders for her eyes and eyeliners, but not for the lips, nails and eye shadows yet. And those only work in 3DL since I don't know how to use MDL bricks. In Poser, both FF and SF are fully compatible, but 3DL and MDL are not in DS, so it doubles the work and it's undocumented. It's easy to get lost in the jungle if you want to support DS. Unless you become a DAZ vendor, you are on your own.