• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Art_of_Mind projects for Dawn

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
A cr2 has to have an obj version of itself.
The morp data is in the obj while the rigging is in the cr2
Im going to disagree with this. If I load an object in either program there won't be morphs. Its only after you've loaded the morphs and saved it in either format that the morphs are retained. There is a way in zbrush to retain morph targets but it works differently to poser and ds.
The only way i know of to get an item complete with morphs from ds to poser is to either export a cr2 or to use dson and then convert it to a cr2.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Im going to disagree with this. If I load an object in either program there won't be morphs. Its only after you've loaded the morphs and saved it in either format that the morphs are retained. There is a way in zbrush to retain morph targets but it works differently to poser and ds.
The only way i know of to get an item complete with morphs from ds to poser is to either export a cr2 or to use dson and then convert it to a cr2.
I stand corrected. At least I was right about me probably being wrong. I'll let someone else take it from here.

Last edited:

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I may have misunderstood the question, "Does a .duf file use more memory than a .cr2 file?"

Memory as in Random Acess Memory - RAM is what I was hitting at in my earlier posts. I'm thinking (again could be wrong) in terms of RAM it uses less. However the file size on the HDD could be a bit larger therefor requiring more disk space.

So I have no idea which uses more RAM, but I can say this about cr2s at least in Poser (obviously they may behave differently in DS). cr2 do not always have the geometry embedded and can have references to the .obj file elsewhere. The good part about this is that if you have multiple versions of something loaded in your scene at once (at least in Poser) it only has to load the .obj once, so you do end up saving time/resources. Same thing can be true for .pp2 files, which is what Poser uses for props. You can have the geometry embedded in the file, or a reference to the .obj file. For props like plants this is especially great because again, if you have a lot in your scene, you don't have to loaded the geometry every time.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Asking, purely out of curiosity, AOM, have you ever own a copy of Poser or Poser Pro?

No but I want one, and 3D coat.
Edit, I think Poser Pro 11 would be the version I would need right? Also want to say that I am jealous of the renders I see come out of Poser. It will happen, I don't know when, but eventually we will have and support it.

Last edited:

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
No but I want one, and 3D coat.
Edit, I think Poser Pro 11 would be the version I would need right?

For making content, you definitely want a Pro version. Especially when adding morphs to your clothing you'll find the Pro version makes all the difference. You can of course still find versions of 2014 (which was what came before 11) and they are a bit cheeper. I know there are people who prefer 2014 to 11, but although personally I love 11 much better. There's not an easy answer to whether you get the older version and pay to upgrade later, although, I will say sometimes you can come out ahead by doing this sort of thing. My first version of Poser was not a Pro version, even though I knew I wanted the Pro version, because I found a copy of the base version on CD and on sale for really cheap (it was something crazy like $29). I did the math, and figured out that with the sale on the CD version I could buy it, and the immediately pay to upgrade to Pro for significantly cheeper than if I had just bought the Pro version outright.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Okay, lesson learned here folks, I (can) answer any question but whether or not you get the correct answer is another story.. Sorry I hope my incorrect assumptions didn’t make me any enemies, you all have been very kind to me here. @Pendraia please don’t take any of my tokens away.

To the topic.. I've decided the weapon would be illegal unless you are a member of some sort of government enforcement agency or Dawn’s cyborg zombie apocalypse fighters.

About the outfit, it is growing; I’m getting flooded with ideas. This one is all for fun and I’m making big decisions now.
The theme is land, air and sea. This is so much stuff it may actually become three separate complete outfits with accessories. Gear and dress for land, another set for air, and another for water. The skirt is very short, so instead of making a pair of underwear I’m going to make a swimsuit, and the skirt can be an over skirt, a swim skirt. I also want to line up the clothing so parts will interchange with each other, meaning any top options will fit any of the bottom options.

So here is all the things I’m seeing right now.
Cop-like sunglasses, Arnold terminator style.
Swim mask, covers the eyes and nose.
I would like a third thing for eyewear but can’t envision it yet.
Pants.
Shorts.
Skirt.
Swimsuit.
Leather jacket.
Long sleeve shirt, the one we were looking at.
Short sleeve shirt, cropped ringer t style.
Swim top, heavy coverage like a water skiing type vest but not as bulky thick.
The boots I’m working on, thinking about doing away with the cuff though.
Swimming flippers.
And another pair of shoes but I don’t have the vision yet.
Weapons,
The thing you’ve already seen but I’m going to add another piece to it, I see it in my head I just have to make it and put it on there.
Second weapon will be based off of that one but like @NapalmArsenal suggested it will have a harpoon, and I will also remove the swords and replace them with extra harpoons.
Third weapon? Can’t envision it yet.

Any ideas, did I forget anything, you want anything?

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Nomad cloak or cape with a hood for those dusty areas?
Binoculars?

See - Tank Girl options?

eclark1894

Visionary
If you're talking about actual real life weapons, there no actual laws regarding ownership of swords as far as I know, as long as they aren't stolen from somewhere. However, walking down the street, sheathed or not, they will most likely get you stopped and questioned by the cops. Unless the gun is a ray gun or uses some weird radioactive energy source, there's likely not to be any laws governing ownership of that either. However, once it's discovered, that will be be remedied in a week. The police will take it from you that night.:sneaky:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
If you're talking about actual real life weapons, there no actual laws regarding ownership of swords as far as I know, as long as they aren't stolen from somewhere. However, walking down the street, sheathed or not, they will most likely get you stopped and questioned by the cops. Unless the gun is a ray gun or uses some weird radioactive energy source, there's likely not to be any laws governing ownership of that either. However, once it's discovered, that will be be remedied in a week. The police will take it from you that night.:sneaky:

Giggle!!

There are no laws about ownership on swords I actually own several that are combat ready, but if they happen to be valuable antiques (WWII Japanese blades) or are stolen then yeah several rules apply.

In public you are fine to carry a blade over 6 inches as long as it is in its scabbard and peace knotted day or night. I do take mine to Ren Fest on occasion. It takes forever to unloosen the knot and actually pull it out of the scabbard.

As for the gun ........... they have dogs for that kind of thing.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
lol...your tokens are all good AOM...I had to stop and think what you meant by tokens though.

I like the idea of a swimsuit...

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist

At least in the US, it depends on the state. Sometimes you just have to register them, and it also depends on if they are concealed or not. So sword canes are illegal in Colorado unless you have a concealed weapons permit. Also when I was studying martial arts in California, I had to register my nunchucks and carry a card around with me saying I was registered for them. Some knives like switchblades are also illegal here.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
@Gadget Girl ,That is really neat about the nunchucks!! I did have a pair of those once upon a time, but gave them to my brother as I kept beating myself about the head with them ROLF!! Yeah, those Kewl Bruce Lee moves .......... imagine that but with hitting yourself in the head every 4 or 5 strokes.

Texas, well you know we have that whole Bowie knife thing and those are way over 6 inches so if you can carry that around I suppose a sword isn't too far off. Guns well we are an open carry state so you will need a permit for those. Sword canes I can understand that needing a permit.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
At least in the US, it depends on the state. Sometimes you just have to register them, and it also depends on if they are concealed or not.
Yes, I was just going to post the same. Here in NYC it's against the law to carry any concealed weapon, and guns especially must be registered. In fact, you even have to register a stun gun, and I believe, need to take a course on how to use it before you can register it.

Last edited:

eclark1894

Visionary
Yes, I was just going to post the same. Here in NYC it's against the law to carry any concealed weapon, and guns especially must be registered. In fact, you eve have to register a stun gun, and I believe, need to take a course on how to use it before you can register it.
Yes, we must make the city streets safer for the crooks and criminals who don't follow the gun and weapons laws.:sneaky: