• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Art_of_Mind projects for Dawn

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
At least its not cancelled this time :) (I was supposed to have it earlier this year but the Surgeon left even though I was supposed to be his last patient). The new surgeon and his team seems much nicer anyway and this gives me time to sort the room out for mum (its our junk room so at the moment you cant see the bed :p), since she's nice enough to come help me I better give her a bed to sleep on :D hehehe
Oh yes, we can't have mum sleeping on the floor.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'd love to test for you but I won't have time as I'll be off the computer for awhile after my operation (my op was supposed to be today but is now in 3 weeks :()

The texture looks more like gingham than tartan but I still like it! :)
Sorry to hear this Rae...

AOM, you can also export it as a CR2 file but it doesn't always transfer easily. Paul's webinar in the store explains how to do it.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I always inclede the obj with my products.

Okay interesting. This raises a question for me, as a mainly Poser user. I have something I made for Poser, and then started covering over to DS. When I saved out what I had in DS to a flash drive all it gave me was the duf file, and I guess I sort of assumed that it was just referencing other files on my computer. But is the .duf all you need in DS for a clothing item? (Ignoring materials). I was thinking I was going to need to go searching through data folders for others parts of it to get it packaged up. Of course I have the .obj file for Poser anyway, so there's no reason not to include it.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Okay, let me use the pants here for an example.
Workflow, the pants are in their own folder and go through about 20 revisions until at last a base shape with material zones are considered to be the final version.
Now it is time to start setting up the product.
A dummy runtime is created and linked to DS
The final version (Hard Copy) of the pants is put into Runtime/Geometries/Art_of_Mind/ Apocalyptic_Warrior
We leave the (Hard Copy) there.
We load it and turn it into a figure duf.
At this point the (Hard Copy) is no longer needed to read the duf file however it is left in place. We don't have to leave it but we do anyway. An experienced user could find the file useful for a number of things and can easily go retrieve it.

Basically we needed it there in the beginning of the clothing creation process and though it is not necessary to leave it behind, there is also no reason to go back and delete it either. We are leaving it as a courtesy for experienced users.

A cr2 has to have an obj version of itself.
The morp data is in the obj while the rigging is in the cr2

Miss B

CV-BEE
Nice, clear explanation AoM. That's pretty much what I thought, but it's good to have it confirmed by someone more experienced with the DUF format than I am.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Well I've been wrong before and may have stated something in there somewhere that was incorrect.. sure enough to write all that out, but not so sure that I am right to bet anything on it. Short explanation, the obj needs to be present to begin your work, better safe than sorry, leave it where it is, it could be useful later.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't know if that varies from object to object, but out of curiosity, I just checked something I got at DAZ a number of years ago, and one of the prop's Poser .cr2 to load it into a scene is 265kb, where as the DS .duf for the same prop is 254kb, so that seems pretty close to the same size. I don't know what difference there would be between the two as far as resources go, but I can't imagine there being much of a difference if the size of the files are pretty much the same.

Needless to say, in this case, there are .obj files as well because it's usable in Poser as well.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
should I go through here and like everyones posts or is it too much spam, I want to be nice but dont want to drive you all nuts

about the .duff using more memory than a .cr2

at least on this machine it takes a .cr2 a lot longer to load into the scene than it does a .duf
I think (unsure about this) but I think it is like this on all machines becuase (could be wrong here) but a .cr2 calls up all information of morphs as soon as you load it - but a .duf does not call up the information unless you dial it in. Except in some rare ocassions like for example, I have an outfit that will be in the store soon, the skirt loads with one morph already called up/fit_over_shorts - the reason being there is about a 100% chance with this outfit - the user will load the athletic shorts, then load the over skirt; therefor the overskirt already has the morph called up by default to fit the skirt over the shorts.

I'm unsure but think the .cr2 uses more memory, because it has to load all information, the .duf only loads information when you dial it in so it would use less memory.

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
What you say makes sense, but I don't always see .cr2s that have a specific morph already dialed in.

For example, Pen's Diva character for Dawn. You need to load Dawn into the scene, and then inject the Diva morph into Dawn. I see that more often, even with clothing, than having it automatically load with a specific morph to fit a certain way, i.e., a morph for a skirt or pants to fit over a long top.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
What you say makes sense, but I don't always see .cr2s that have a specific morph already dialed in.

For example, Pen's Diva character for Dawn. You need to load Dawn into the scene, and then inject the Diva morph into Dawn. I see that more often, even with clothing, than having it automatically load with a specific morph to fit a certain way, i.e., a morph for a skirt or pants to fit over a long top.

Well, character inj files are addons that would not be part of the base.
As I understand, again could be wrong - but back in the old days Daz created Power Loader as a way of saving time on loading the base .cr2 files new users found it confusing, for example if you did not choose morphs++ when you loaded from the power loader, when you tried to load a addon character that was crafted with morphs++ dial spins they would not load.

again, a lot of what I am writing is (I don't know but I think) (I could very well be wrong)
I do not make .cr2 files. I've picked up on a few things here and there but .cr2 files are not my area.

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Funny you should mention the Power Loaders, because I never used them.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Funny you should mention the Power Loaders, because I never used them.

I don't use them either. I don't use the Daz models at all.
Stupid questions here, does Poser have the Power loaders? also does Poser only use .cr2 and .obj files? and there is another too without looking I think it is .pp7 file

what I'm getting at is when I get the money up to buy Poser and support it, what new files do I need to learn, I think it would only be .cr2 and .pp7 ?
I'll also have to learn to convert my textures.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I suspect you mean .pp2, not pp7. So the files I can think of off head are .cr2 (characters including conforming clothing), pp2 (props and poses), hr2 (hairs), cm2 (cameras), lt2 (lights), mc6 and mt5 (materials), and pz3 (full scene files). There are others for Hands and Faces (expressions), but those are less common file formats.

Of course, if you never create full scenes for sale, you probably won't create cameras either. The same goes for face files, unless you create a character and want some facial expression structure that isn't included in the base character, such as Dawn, Dusk, etc. Also if you don't create hair products, you won't have to worry about those either. You also may not create light sets, though that's something I want to learn how to do . . . eventually. ;)

That said, yes, .cr2s, .pp2s and .pz2s are common, though folks are not using .pz2s to apply materials/textures any more, as now that DS can access the Materials library, which it couldn't do in versions prior to DS 4.0, there's no need for them for that reason.

Hope that helps some.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I just had a look and the only thing where I have both .cr2 and .duf is the Fantasy Oak Tree House.
I just loaded the .cr2 and counted twelve seconds to load. Then I loaded the .duf and counted four seconds to load.
Understand though I do not have the answer on if a .duf uses less memory. I honestly do not know.
I'm going to ask someone and direct them to this thread and see if they could help give a real answer - most of what I'm writing is thoery. I really tried to make it known that I was unsure about what I was writing and could be wrong.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I suspect you mean .pp2, not pp7. So the files I can think of off head are .cr2 (characters including conforming clothing), pp2 (props and poses), hr2 (hairs), cm2 (cameras), lt2 (lights), mc6 and mt5 (materials), and pz3 (full scene files). There are others for Hands and Faces (expressions), but those are less common file formats.

Of course, if you never create full scenes for sale, you probably won't create cameras either. The same goes for face files, unless you create a character and want some facial expression structure that isn't included in the base character, such as Dawn, Dusk, etc. Also if you don't create hair products, you won't have to worry about those either. You also may not create light sets, though that's something I want to learn how to do . . . eventually. ;)

That said, yes, .cr2s, .pp2s and .pz2s are common, though folks are not using .pz2s to apply materials/textures any more, as now that DS can access the Materials library, which it couldn't do in versions prior to DS 4.0, there's no need for them for that reason.

Hope that helps some.

I almost fainted, that is a lot to learn.
and I just sent out a pm to some folks that might be able to better explain .cr2 files.
Like I said, I do not make .cr2 files. I've picked up on a few things here and there but .cr2 files are not my area.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I almost fainted, that is a lot to learn.
and I just sent out a pm to some folks that might be able to better explain .cr2 files.
Like I said, I do not make .cr2 files. I've picked up on a few things here and there but .cr2 files are not my area.
You're not alone. I've modeled clothing, but when you import an .obj, which is merely a prop, if you want to make it conforming clothing, what Rob stated above would be a way to go. Of course, if you want to do dynamic clothing, then you can stick with the prop, and go from there

But that's about all the advice I have as far as creating in Poser goes.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I may have misunderstood the question, "Does a .duf file use more memory than a .cr2 file?"

Memory as in Random Acess Memory - RAM is what I was hitting at in my earlier posts. I'm thinking (again could be wrong) in terms of RAM it uses less. However the file size on the HDD could be a bit larger therefor requiring more disk space.