• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Art_of_Mind projects for Dawn

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I borrowed the idea from here, and was also thinking of what Milla Jovovich might like for her next zombie killing spree.

View attachment 23484

Wow! :eek: The parts may be missing from the Nambu (pistol) because Nambus were notorious for blowing apart when fired. :roflmao: But that is a humdinger of a novelty!

If I were advising Milla (AKA Alice Abernathy - whence the name of one of my render servers), I would say a pair of (separate!) short swords on her back, and a high-volume firearm.
Pistol versions of the AR-15 (full auto M-16, if you have the NFA 1934 tax stamp) will take standard 30-round magazines, or 60/100-round double width SureFire magazines, or even the dual-drum magazines:
The top pistol uses a gas piston system akin to the AK47, eliminating the need for a buffer tube sticking out the back. Nice short weapon.
The bottom pistol has carbon fibre receivers (the framework, or outer shell), with stainless steel barrel and bolt. It is remarkably lightweight and slender in the side-to-side dimension.

For sheer volume of fire, there also exist belt-fed uppers to fit AR-15 / M-16 weapons. Again, an M-16 lower receiver (full auto) requires federal tax stamp paperwork, but they'll happily fire semi-auto (pull the trigger repeatedly/rapidly!). These can also be configured with just a pistol buffer protruding out the back and with short barrels to make a belt-fed pistol.

I think I know what's bothering me personally about this weapon. I prefer a "full conversion mode" weapon. In other words, while it's a sword, it shouldn't look like a gun, and while it's a gun, it shouldn't look like a sword. At least it shouldn't be so obvious. If you could press a secret button and release a lever or something that would allow the gun handle to swing into line with the barrel and lock ( and back of course when you want to use it as a gun).
Maybe make the sword composed of telescopic segments, or articulated like the sword on Gypsy Danger (cf Pacific Rim)?

Then use an ERC dial to extend/collapse?

seachnasaigh

Energetic
A convertible sword/pistol could have a swivel joint between grip and slide, to bring the pistol handgrip into alignment with the barrel/slide/sword section when transforming into sword mode.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Don't worry about the placement of the swords they are not welded to the gun, I just stuck them in there as an alt variation. They don't have to be there unless you want them there.

If you all want an AR 15 I'll put it on the list. I could possibly get something close right now but an exact copy might have to wait until my modeling skills improve.

Retractable blades.. let me think on it, I might be able to come up with something.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've done several types of swords, but haven't, yet, tried a gun. Those reference photos for the AR-15 and the 2 NATOs are pretty damn nice Seach. Real nice!! ;)

seachnasaigh

Energetic
@Art_of_Mind : Don't change your pistol idea because of me (except maybe for the bend joint between grip and barrel, I like that idea for the gun/sword combo) :p And a telescoping extendable/retractable blade. That would make a neat Transformer weapon. :cool: And I was just bouncing that off of Earl's idea.
All I meant was that *my* advice for Alice to arm herself would be blades (don't require ammo) and a high-volume firearm for dealing with a mob.

@Miss B : Both of the belt-fed rifles are also AR-15s (the bottom one is actually a tax-stamped M-16). The "NATO" term specifies the type of ammunition they use. The upper one uses 9mm NATO, as opposed to 9mm Makarov or 9mm Kurz. The lower one uses 5.56, as most AR-15s use. AR-15s are like Legos; they are very modular and you can quickly switch parts to make a different configuration.

Miss B

CV-BEE
@Miss B : Both of the belt-fed rifles are also AR-15s (the bottom one is actually a tax-stamped M-16). The "NATO" term specifies the type of ammunition they use. The upper one uses 9mm NATO, as opposed to 9mm Makarov or 9mm Kurz. The lower one uses 5.56, as most AR-15s use. AR-15s are like Legos; they are very modular and you can quickly switch parts to make a different configuration.
AHA! Live and learn. I've heard of Makarov, but not familiar with Kurz. I'm liking both of those guns, though the top one has the ammo inside the casing. Knowing me, if I was to be shooting something like the bottom one, I'd probably trip over the spent shells. ;)

seachnasaigh

Energetic
You might recognize 9mm Kurz by it's American name, .380 auto, popular for small concealed carry pistols.

We often use a glorified butterfly net clamped to a picnic table to catch the spent empty cases and belt links flying out of the belt-fed weapons. :laugh:
Tidy is as tidy does.

And we always have safety glasses and ear muffs for everyone...

Miss B

CV-BEE
You might recognize 9mm Kurz by it's American name, .380 auto, popular for small concealed carry pistols.
AHA, yes, that I do recognize.

We often use a glorified butterfly net clamped to a picnic table to catch the spent empty cases and belt links flying out of the belt-fed weapons. :laugh:
Tidy is as tidy does.
Yes, especially if you're a snipper/assassin, and don't want to be caught. ;) You MUST police the brass. :D

seachnasaigh

Energetic
Using a belt-fed for assassination would be like using a sledge hammer to swat a fly. :laugh:

Try this:
Another AR-15 configuration, optimized for nighttime varmint shooting. 24" long barrel, with a suppressor (requires a federal tax stamp) and a generation 3.5 night vision scope. Loaded with Israeli 77grain "Razor Core" hollow points. Quiet, precise, effective. It is a rapier, compared to the belt-fed's broadsword. :ninja: This AR-15 is a coyote killer; they hunt at night and kill the newborns of livestock and pets. The suppressor is just a courtesy to neighbors, since this is used at night.
The two rod things under the barrel are a bipod, folded into the carry/storage position.

I don't draw well at all, but I can probably get the idea across. I'll try to do that

Last edited:

seachnasaigh

Energetic
I had in mind a hinge about where the blue circle is, so that the pistol opens like a switchblade to use the sword, and folds into the pistol configuration to shoot the gun.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Okay I see now.
Might need to do a rebuild from the ground up, I'll put it on the list and see what I come up with.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Using a belt-fed for assassination would be like using a sledge hammer to swat a fly. :laugh:
Of course. I was just referring to how a snipper or assassin would police their brass so no comparisons can be made, especially for those who are well known for the type of riffle and ammo they use. ;)

CG Cubed

Technical Director
Staff member
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I love the sword gun concept because... you still have a weapon if you are out of ammo and more zombies/ bad guys come around the corner. Lets just hope zombies don't learn to shoot, lol.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
I love the sword gun concept because... you still have a weapon if you are out of ammo and more zombies/ bad guys come around the corner. Lets just hope zombies don't learn to shoot, lol.

Or, in the case of zombies, you have something to do silent kills with when you are trying to sneak in, but once everything goes to hell and you are being swarmed, you can start firing.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Hey I just did a quick run through re-reading some posts and liking posts.

Thanks for the suggestions, feedback and requests.
I'll be working on this project off and on over the weekend.
I'll upload my progress as it unfolds.
As always suggestions, feedback and requests are welcome.