• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Art_of_Mind projects for Dawn

seachnasaigh

Energetic
@eclark1894 : The pistol grip is a single piece of ABS plastic; the checkered area is simply molded in.
If the grip is a separate material zoned, and is UV unwrapped, then you could make a discriminator mask of the checkered area, and use that mask to control bump (if I don't already have an asymmetrical checkering tile, I could make one).
Alternatively, you could model the grip so that the checkered area boundaries are defined by polygon edges, so that the checkered area could be a separate material zone.

If you want to model that, I could get a pic of the other side which would show the ejection port.
If anyone wants to build models, I could get pics of the other side of these weapons. Maybe I should build a Stargate Atlantis bullpup (FS2000, by Fabrique Nationale Herstal). If there is interest in this, you/I could start a thread just for that, so as not to derail @Art_of_Mind 's thread any more than I already have. :oops:

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
@eclark1894 : The pistol grip is a single piece of ABS plastic; the checkered area is simply molded in.
If the grip is a separate material zoned, and is UV unwrapped, then you could make a discriminator mask of the checkered area, and use that mask to control bump (if I don't already have an asymmetrical checkering tile, I could make one).
Alternatively, you could model the grip so that the checkered area boundaries are defined by polygon edges, so that the checkered area could be a separate material zone.

If you want to model that, I could get a pic of the other side which would show the ejection port.
If anyone wants to build models, I could get pics of the other side of these weapons. Maybe I should build a Stargate Atlantis bullpup (FS2000, by Fabrique Nationale Herstal). If there is interest in this, you/I could start a thread just for that, so as not to derail @Art_of_Mind 's thread any more than I already have. :oops:

Derail away, I don't care.. I enjoy the company; an always eager to learn a new trick.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
I decided this morning to finish the boots for the sky outfit. I didn't get any imput so I just went with what I wanted. I imagine that there is some sort of magnet in the boots holding the person onto the flying device, so I wanted some thick soles. No textures yet, just threw some shaders on it, other than that these are modeled, UV’d with material zones.

1.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Looking great, but I do have one suggestion. I don't think I've ever seen boots that have a zip in the cuff. What I have seen is zips that go to where it starts leaving the cuff intact or having a split in the cuff. But otherwise it looks great!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I hadn't thought of that when I saw these earlier Pen, but you make a good point, especially since the zipper appears to go up and over, and then down the rest of the boot. You'd probably have to unfold the top to use a zipper like that.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That was what I was thinking the zipper pull would need to be on the other side. Many boots have a closed zip which make it easy to pull them on and off but don't go all the way to the top.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Hey, thanks for keeping me straight.
I actually liked the boots better with no zipper, I just thought they looked a little, like they needed something else and just threw one on there. It will be easy to remove it.
Might be best to just not have one at all.

eclark1894

Visionary

No, that won't be necessary. I did actually hope it might be a procedural shader, maybe with a normal map.

seachnasaigh

Energetic
No, that won't be necessary. I did actually hope it might be a procedural shader, maybe with a normal map.
You could indeed do it as a procedural. The Cellular node has a mode which would provide checkering, but to rotate it 45' would require some math nodes. It would be easier to use a bump/height map. I have that. I made a normal (and inverted Y normal) also, but you'll find that you can't negate a normal map to engrave.

Ironically, I've never modeled a gun in 3D, though I build real ones.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Hey, thanks for keeping me straight.
I actually liked the boots better with no zipper, I just thought they looked a little, like they needed something else and just threw one on there. It will be easy to remove it.
Might be best to just not have one at all.

Well I have a pair of knee high boots with a cuff at the top. They do have a zipper, but it starts under the cuff. The cuff has enough extra fabric in it, that you can slip your foot easily into that part of the boot, its just further down you need the zipper.

I think they look better overall without the zipper too. And I like the wedge shape.

Art_of_Mind

Engaged
Contributing Artist
Thanks,
So I'm removing the zipper then right? Everyone is good with that right?
Thing about these outfits is they all go together, a complete uniform, that thick wedge is to make it seem like they could either be metal or have some sort of magnet in them to hold the rider onto the sky glider. I don't think mixing those shoes with something for dawn to wear to Walmart in would work. They are battle shoes for that one battle outfit. Most likely the wedge will have a metalic surface setting when textured.
-
I've been working today on the boots for the land soldier. I can't show them yet, got a few things to work out still.

eclark1894

Visionary
Well, I was going to say something about the boots. I did give the metallic boots some thought, but I think I would go with something more mechanical, like quick release and quick attach boot clamps.