• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

3D Modeling

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's probably back when I first started playing with Hex. Unfortunately, that was back on my WinXP laptop. Now-a-days with my Win7 laptop, it's just flaky and jumped all around every time I tried to do something, so I gave up on it.

Unfortunately, I hadn't saved any earlier downloads of Hex I could try, so it's wasting away on my external hard drive.

theschell

Brilliant
I'm not using the most recent version of it either... I found the last updated version (2.5.1) DAZ released to be buggy as well. I'm using a slightly older version, Hex 2.5.05 (the version before last) and it's been wonderfully stable (though typically Hex quirky) on both my old XP dual-core, and my current Win7 quad-core laptop. I wish the folks at DAZ would update their other children the way they do with Studio... Hexagon can easily compete with other higher-end apps if they bothered to pay it a little more attention. They're missing the boat with it, as with many of the other poor (in my opinion) choices they've been making the last few years. They're passing up on numerous additional income streams by focusing on DS to the exclusion of the other programs they own...

Last edited:

Miss B

CV-BEE
I have to agree with you. I'm a die-hard Brycer, so would DEFINITELY like to see them update it some more.

theschell

Brilliant
It's sad that DAZ chooses to ignore the others... they have huge potential and the crew at DAZ just doesn't seem to recognize what they have in front of them... They'd rather blame 3rd party content providers for their woes (we'll ignore that technically almost all of DAZ's own DS content is 3rd party since DAZ is a brokerage) than put the effort into the extra resources they have languishing in limbo. If they were making smart decisions they'd combine the best features of all the programs they own and make DS an all-in-one program... or at least keep development of the others on pace with DS. They don't even make much effort to market what they have outside of DS which is not smart from a business/profit stand-point...

Last edited:

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Dawn (Lully) just figured out why my jacket wasn't working in dynamic cloth. It had some polys with more than 4 sides. She fixed those, smoothed it out and I'm going to release it as a freebie. It's based on two quilted jackets I made for my sons when they were about Baby Luna's age. I can't tell you guys how much the support I've gotten here at this forum has meant to me! You guys are awesome and so inspiring! Geez I haven't been this excited in forever!

And here's the little jacket with Dawn's magic applied!

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh yes, that would make a difference. Four-sided Quads, or 3-sided Tris, will work in the Cloth Room, though I prefer the Quads to Tris, which is why I usually convert MD3 clothing, which is all Tris, to Quads.

The jacket looks good Janet. It's draping nicely. :)

quietrob

Extraordinary
I just looked up, "Converting Triangles to Quads in Blender". This caught my eye because I wanted to add some decals to sci-fi fighter Obj but the UV was crazy because was triangles. I couldn't make sense of it. Is there an advantage to one over the other? (Tri vs Quads)

Miss B

CV-BEE
Some folks prefer the Tris for dynamic clothing. I, personally, am more used to working with Quads because most of my modeling with Blender, up until now, has been props and/or environmental scenes (think a castle), so I'd never run into Tris before I started playing with MD3. I knew what they were, but hadn't found a need for them.

With the shaping of clothing, however, they come into play a lot.

That's pretty impressive Janet. You're making amazing progress with Blender.
I think about creating cloths sometimes but can't get a concept in my head for it.
Maybe I could do it with, what is it, Fabulous Designer? Is that the right name?
Something like that. If I'm thinking right it works like making a pattern right?
Just like when sewing cloths?
I learned about pattern making and sewing from my little brother who started making Marionettes when he was 8 years old.
Blew my mind, and so I made a Marionette Theater for him, and then we started selling them and made some good money.

Well, great start! Can't wait to see what you do next.:D

Yeah, that's it Marvelous. I know it's expensive but it would probably be the only way I could get into doing cloths.
Dynamic cloth cloths had me totally baffled for a long time.
I was skeptical about it until I started using dynamics in Lightwave Layout to get shapes that you can't get in modeler.
Someone was saying how she uses Poser to make changes to geometry and then send it back to a modeling tool to continue work.
That's how it's done in Lightwave only the Modeler and Layout can communicate and you can pass things back and forth with a single click.
So when I got used to that I wasn't so afraid of Dynamic Cloth in Poser.
I do have some Dynamic Cloths but they all came with Conforming Versions too so I've just used the Conforming ones.
Oh, and as I've said before, I don't sell anything. So if I made some good ones they'd be freebies like all my other stuff.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Here's how the texturing came out. Would anyone like to test these for me before I release it as a freebie? BTW that's the Luna long sleeved shirt underneath, fits perfectly!

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Well I thought I was in a private conversation but apparently not. So there's the link if anyone wants to try it. I'm not certain I did it right though.