• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

3D Modeling

theschell

Brilliant
Of course you couldn't distribute anything you exported in that manner, but if it was for your own use in renders you'd be fine..

theschell

Brilliant
Yep... just load the item in DS, select it in the scene tree, the go to "File" > "Export"... you can export obj's and Cr2's and then it's just a matter of selecting the right export options in the export menu... You can even export the obj with textures and an mtl materials file that Poser can read when you import it, you just need to tell Poser to read the mtl file on import. If you choose to, you can even export entire DS scenes as a single obj.

If you have multiple items loaded into DS when you export an obj, it will automatically create a single obj file with all the items you've loaded (though they won't be pose-able individually once you do this). If you only want a single item from a scene you'll need to delete anything you don't want before you export the obj...

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Not sure if this would be helpful but...If you have DS you can load the item and then export the geometry as a an obj. You'd then be able to load that object in Poser though you'd have to manually apply materials and adjust surfaces. For something like that pot-belly stove you mentioned this would be an easy approach, not really useful if you want it as a rigged figure though... For something rigged you would need to export a Poser type CR2 from DS, which you could also do, though this won't work well with anything weight-mapped...
Just as easy to export it as a cr2 just make sure to choose Poser scale or it will be too large. I have gotten a couple of things into Poser that I used on Dawn that their were only DS versions for.

If you find Blender doesn't suit...it makes my head melt the way it works, you could try using Geek At Plays tutorials for Hexagon that was how I got started.

theschell

Brilliant
Yep... which is why I mentioned both the obj export and Cr2... obj export is good for props that don't need to be rigged, Cr2 export for rigged figures... depends on what you want to use it for or do with it, and what you're intending to export in the first place... :)

theschell

Brilliant
Lol... no worries... I was dragging my heels this morning when I woke up too... actually I've been dragging all day, it's been raining and gloomy here all day. I know what you mean with Blender as well, it gave me migraines just trying to figure out even basic functions...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I think I need more coffee...have to take my parents shopping this morning so I'll need a kickstart.

I've only ever managed to do one thing in blender and that was by following a tutorial very carefully. It may be very powerful but it just doesn't make sense to me. I can use Hexagon and Zbrush no problems though...

theschell

Brilliant
I'm on my 5th coffee so far today and still can't seem to get all 6 cylinders to fire at once... I think I might need either a nap or my neck bolts tightened (I'd lose my head if it wasn't bolted firmly in place) and I'm not sure which... LOL :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
lol...just got my first for the day. I'm not supposed to drink too much as it puts my blood pressure up but I still remember the joy of a 5th cup...getting old sucks!

theschell

Brilliant
It does indeed! I'm beginning to think that my ACME brain hamster might have been run over by his wheel again, I can't brain, I has the dumb!

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
lol...I know that feeling. I did some gardening yesterday and did too much so today I'm aching everywhere but the garden is starting to look better...spring has truly sprung in my back yard.

theschell

Brilliant
My gardens will be done for the year soon... another couple weeks and we'll likely get a first frost and that'll be the end till next spring...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Our best growing season is just starting and I want to plant some veggies. Tomatos, onions, capsicums(I think they're called bell peppers in the states), beetroot. And this year I want to get some manderins from our tree before the birds do...; )

theschell

Brilliant
I designed the landscaping for the landlord for the building I live in. Created a nice circular garden around a large tree in one corner of our front yard by the street. Matched that with a second circular garden with decorative shrubs in the opposite corner at the curb and put a large piece of driftwood, for some visual character as a feature for the shrubs to grow around. Against the walls along the front of the building I put in rectangular gardens with a raised circular inset to make everything tie in together. I added decorative Red Cedar mulch, and each garden got a boarder edge of local Blue Shale from our escarpment here. Along with nice shrubs I planted Snap Dragons and Tiger Lilies... I was raised a country boy, and put myself through school taking landscaping work during summer breaks... :)

Here's a bunch of kitchen stuff that includes a 'Pot Belly Stove', or something like that.
I think it's a composite prop instead of a figure, but it could be converted to rigged if you like.
There's no restrictions on use, and it's free. Looks like this:

All this stuff was modeled without drinking any coffee at all.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Pictures!

Please.

I designed the landscaping for the landlord for the building I live in. Created a nice circular garden around a large tree in one corner of our front yard by the street. Matched that with a second circular garden with decorative shrubs in the opposite corner at the curb and put a large piece of driftwood, for some visual character as a feature for the shrubs to grow around. Against the walls along the front of the building I put in rectangular gardens with a raised circular inset to make everything tie in together. I added decorative Red Cedar mulch, and each garden got a boarder edge of local Blue Shale from our escarpment here. Along with nice shrubs I planted Snap Dragons and Tiger Lilies... I was raised a country boy, and put myself through school taking landscaping work during summer breaks... :)

theschell

Brilliant
Sadly I don't have a camera just now, my digital gave up the ghost on me and I haven't been able to afford a replacement... but I'll see what I can do when the weather is nicer and I can safely take my laptop outside...

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, I would love to see pictures of that landscaping as well, if you can handle it with your laptop. ;)

I made the Stove Prop into a single OBJ file and zipped it.
Unzip to wherever you would put your geometry to work on.
You can load it into Hex.. and play with the shape of it or use it as is and rig it in Poser.
You will need 9 Bones with internal names set as follows.
First the Oven bone which is the main body.
Then..
lOvenDoor
rOvenDoor
CoalDoor
lFrontBurner
rFrontBurner
lRearBurner
rRearBurner
StovePipe

The child bones don't need to be connected to the Oven bone.
Just deselect the current bone and start a new one each time.
For the doors place the bone's origin in line with the hinges -
(vertically for the Oven Doors, and horizontally for the CoalDoor)
and in between them (the hinges)
Orient the bones so they are within the geometry of each part as close as possible.
You can experiment with the burners so they will open as you like.
I would put the origin level with the stove top and off the side so the burners lift like someone raising them.
I didn't make a burner handle so if you want one you get to make it yourself.

The stove pipe wouldn't move of course but you could scale the bone
vertically so the pipe will go through a roof if there is one.

Oh yes, and disable bend on all the parts or the stove will go goofy.

Attachments

• Pot Belly Stove.zip
    325 KB · Views: 211