• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

3D Modeling

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Here's a bunch of kitchen stuff that includes a 'Pot Belly Stove', or something like that.
I think it's a composite prop instead of a figure, but it could be converted to rigged if you like.
There's no restrictions on use, and it's free. Looks like this:

All this stuff was modeled without drinking any coffee at all.

This is lovely!

Could you take a look at this thread please: Everyday Poses for Dawn and Dusk, please

They need this set to do those poses and I just haven't had the time to get mine finished. And I don't see my calendar clearing anytime soon.

This set would be ideal!

theschell

Brilliant
I'll see what I can do to get a few pics, problem is they'll be pretty lousy as I'll have to rely on the webcam in my laptop to take them and it ain't great... And on top of that I'm a lousy photographer... lol :)

This is lovely!
Could you take a look at this thread please: Everyday Poses for Dawn and Dusk, please
They need this set to do those poses and I just haven't had the time to get mine finished. And I don't see my calendar clearing anytime soon.
This set would be ideal!
Thank you, the link is right there. 'kitchen stuff' Not sure who is doing the poses, Janet?
I think Janet has it now. Well, there is a bunch of stuff in the set, as you can see at the link.
Some of it is curved to fit the walls in the Pods, but other stuff is normal and it is all scaled for Poser Characters.
Sorry DS folks, but of course thing can be scaled to fit other characters.
Also, Janet, the stove doesn't need to be rigged if you don't want the doors to open. Just did that in case.
And the OBJ can be modified in Hexagon more easily with all the parts together.
There's bed and bath stuff on my site too. Some of the pieces are normal shapes.

The items in this render are normal shapes, kinda.
The stool for the vanity can be scaled in height to fit various size characters.
The vanity is a compound prop, so the mirror can tilt, and I think the drawers open.

sapat

Brilliant
QAV-BEE
Miss B, mumurations are one of the most fascinating things ever! As far as I know they still don't know why birds do this. It's bird ballet and poetry on a mass scale. I'd love to make one of Ken's birds do this!

Ok did this make anyone else tear up? Oh...then it was just me then...:unsure: It reminded me of back home when you'd drive out into wide open farm country and see birds doing this over the fields. It's breathtaking, and put to music....well.....:cry:

DanaTA

Distinguished
I use Silo. I find it easy to use and capable of doing anything I've asked it to do. It's inexpensive and easy to learn. The Nevercenter (makers of Silo) site is full of tutorials to get you started. There are also a lot of Silo based tutorials for sale over at Renderosity by Fugazi1968 that helped me with creating in Silo.

I've just started working with this in the past few months. Got pulled away by an issue, but intend to get back at it. They have an upgrade available, makes it 64 bit. Can't afford it right now, though.

Dana

I made the Heart Vanity into a single OBJ
As with the Pot Belly Stove, if you want to rig it the groups for bones are as follows:
Case
centerDrawer
HeartMirror
lBottomDrawer
lTopDrawer
rBottomDrawer
rTopDrawer

It has multiple UV maps. Don't know if that works in Hexagon, but it does in Poser.
Sorry, there are no templates, but the textures that come with the original will still work or you could do your own.

Attachments

• Heart Vanity.zip
    440.2 KB · Views: 224

kobaltkween

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
I know I'm late to the party but I'd like to add to the wisdom posted here. I'd say that the best modeling tool really depends on what you want to model and how.

Way back when I started, I tried 3DS Max, Maya, Animator, Hexagon, Wings 3D, and a few others. I settled on Blender not because it was free (though I _deeply_ appreciate that fact), but because it was _by far_ the easiest to start making what I wanted to. I wanted to begin with clothes, hair, and morphs. While I still haven't gotten a handle on hair (I just can't seem to figure out skullcap painting to my satisfaction), clothes and morphs were _way_ easier to make in Blender than any of the others. 3DS Max has a whole lot of power, but it takes a hell of a lot more clicks and switching modes to polygon model, which I've found to be the most effective way to make clothes. And Blender has pretty easy to use cloth sims with animated pinning, as well as _really_ easy to use sculpting. Like, just load your mesh, switch to sculpting mode, and go. Even before the interface revamp, sculpting was dead easy.

For me, Hex came in second, but it was still just way more clunky than Blender when it came to bending and shaping things.

That said, if I'd wanted to mainly do hard surface subdiv modeling (I almost always use a subdivision modifier, but I generally build poly by poly, not extruding faces of a solid), I'm pretty sure that Hexagon and Wings3D would have been more efficient. And I can definitely say that if I'd mainly wanted to do more procedural modeling, I'm very sure that 3DS Max would have been _much_ more efficient. I'm working on architecture now, and I'm hitting some pretty glaring inefficiencies in Blender. There's no angular array modifier, for instance, and modifiers build mesh that's actual rather than instances (they use just as much resources as if you'd modeled by hand), so I actually need to build a script myself to work with angular instances. Which is kind of nuts, IMHO. But since what I love working on most is easiest in Blender, that's the best tool for me.

So while what tool makes the most sense to you is very personal, it's not necessarily just a matter of opinion. It's also a matter of goals. If you want to make your own organic figures, from what I know of the industry (and what little I've seen of it), I'm guessing that Maya might be a great tool for you. It's not impossible to use Hexagon or Wings, but that's definitely not their forte. If you want a cheap rival to Zbrush, then Blender is probably your best bet. A lot of work has gone into its sculpting tools, and more keeps being put in. Also, I'm seeing lots of crossover in the communities, with people listing both Blender and Zbrush as tools for renders. That said, if you're willing to put in more money, 3DCoat or even Mudbox are more advanced in sculpting and 3D painting.

If you're looking to mainly make low res, game type and style objects, especially environmental ones, I'd suggest investing in Allegorithmic's tools. I find they're comparatively weak in my primary areas of interest (skin, velvet, satin, cotton fabric, etc.), but strong in areas I'm interested in (weathered stone and wood in architecture, stone and ground in nature) and haven't explored mainly because I haven't been sure how to do it.

So my suggestion is to look at galleries of the tools you're considering and see how prevalent the types of things you want to make are, and the average quality of those examples. If people seem to be struggling to make the kind of thing you want to make, then it's not the tool for you. If people are making _great_ examples of the stuff you want to make, start looking at things like cost, customer support, how fast the software is advancing, etc.

Last edited:

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
So I opened up Blender yesterday and played with it for a few hours. It was a lot easier than I remember. It would just be nice to be able to render the odd prop when I need it for an image. Thank you everyone!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
If you ever feel like taking a course to learn Blender, I can recommend Udemy's courses. They often have sales, and it only cost me $10 or $12, and you get lifetime access. If you want, I can let you now the next time they're running a sale.

Even though I've been using Blender for a long time, I'm still picking up how to do things I've never tried before.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Wings 3D is good too and the latest one has texturing within the program (like Blender) and they UV stitcher-unwrapper is nice.
I found free tutorials on U-tube with CC so I can use them.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Thank you, the link is right there. 'kitchen stuff' Not sure who is doing the poses, Janet?
I think Janet has it now. Well, there is a bunch of stuff in the set, as you can see at the link.
Some of it is curved to fit the walls in the Pods, but other stuff is normal and it is all scaled for Poser Characters.
Sorry DS folks, but of course thing can be scaled to fit other characters.
Also, Janet, the stove doesn't need to be rigged if you don't want the doors to open. Just did that in case.
And the OBJ can be modified in Hexagon more easily with all the parts together.
There's bed and bath stuff on my site too. Some of the pieces are normal shapes.
Thank you for sharing your talent. That is one profitable trip when visiting your site. I especially like that stove!

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I just watched a video about how to make Poser clothing. Only thing I need help with is where to find the cr2 file. For Baby Luna specifically. There's a cute little jacket coming his way!