• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Remake of a previous image in a different setup with blue and red lights. One of my art books claims I should _never_ use colored lights, so I gave it a try (because it told me not to). So, did I ruin the scene?

SuperLola2_1200.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've seen renders, some of them done in Blender, where more than one colored light was used. In each case they were used to set the mood of the scene, and I liked how they look.

I like your render, just not sure what the mood is supposed to be, or didn't you have one in mind?

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Beautiful render. I use different lights quite often from Sveva's color splash lights and they make the images look really awesome like for say underwater, but she also has portrait lights that are awesome too. I like this =) she just needs her counter part Superman!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I like your render, just not sure what the mood is supposed to be, or didn't you have one in mind?

I have placed an orange (warm) light on the right, and a blue light (cold) on the left. This makes half of the character warm, and half cold, color-wise. This technique is often used in "hidden object games" artwork to set a strong chromatic contrast. In many HOG games, the majority of the backgrounds are colored primarily in orange and blue. I have applied that to a character, instead of a background, and this is what came out. In some art books, this is called to "paint with light". Doesn't seem to work so well with characters, since only the skin tones were affected. Saturated orange light had little to no effect on the blue jeans and shirt. I have to try this in Octane to make sure this is not particular to Cycles.

Beautiful render. I use different lights quite often from Sveva's color splash lights and they make the images look really awesome like for say underwater, but she also has portrait lights that are awesome too. I like this =) she just needs her counter part Superman!

In most of my scenes, I tend to use standard 3-point lights, except for this one because she's standing close to a wall, which leaves no place for rim lights. Instead, I have added a point light between Lola and the wall to separate her from the background. It doesn't add a rim silhouette, but it was better than nothing. In general, every scene presents a different lighting or framing challenge, depending on what's on stage, but in this one I just wanted to play with colored lights. ^^

Hornet3d

Wise
Caoimhe thought it was typical of Turlough not to have a mirror in his apartment, of course there could be one in the bathroom but she had arrived early and now Turlough was taking a shower. She wandered through the rooms and found one in the bedroom, but she found much more, clearly Turlough has plans on making it a romantic night. She glanced at her reflection in the mirror, pleased she had decided to dress up for the evening, now she needed to slip quietly back to the living room before Turlough caught her spoiling his surprise.

A test render really as I am trying out new content namely Dawn's Dynamics-C-Fishtail Dress dress by lully which I have only recently purchased and 'Romantic Bedroom' by RPublishing which was part of the free content in the Poser 11.2 upgrade. I also use such renders to try out a few materials so some of materials in the bedroom have been changed.

Romantic Night HW.jpg

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Wonderful image! Love the colors and all the rose petals. =) I hope the evening is a memorable one for both of them.

Hornet3d

Wise
Wonderful image! Love the colors and all the rose petals. =) I hope the evening is a memorable one for both of them.

The rose petals are part of the default bedroom scene, all I have done is made the colour more a red than the default pink. The colours on the dress are one of the options Lully has included. Other than that I changed the materials on the chairs and table, made the bed frame gold rather than the default grey/silver and sash in the far right behind the bed was purple which I felt jarred slightly so I made that red as well.

Lighting is by three area lights, one covers the ceiling and faces down while the other two highlight Dawn and also give the twin highlights in the eyes which, in the full render gives her a sort of dreamy look. All in all I have to say I was pleased with the result and the fact that the bedroom was essentially a freebie is the icing on the cake.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
The rose petals are part of the default bedroom scene, all I have done is made the colour more a red than the default pink. The colours on the dress are one of the options Lully has included. Other than that I changed the materials on the chairs and table, made the bed frame gold rather than the default grey/silver and sash in the far right behind the bed was purple which I felt jarred slightly so I made that red as well.

Lighting is by three area lights, one covers the ceiling and faces down while the other two highlight Dawn and also give the twin highlights in the eyes which, in the full render gives her a sort of dreamy look. All in all I have to say I was pleased with the result and the fact that the bedroom was essentially a freebie is the icing on the cake.
Awesome!! =) Wonderful image!! Also thanks for the details on how you created the scene. I just updated to 11.2 so looking for some interesting ways to use lighting! Although LOVE Fabiana's the best!

Hornet3d

Wise
Awesome!! =) Wonderful image!! Also thanks for the details on how you created the scene. I just updated to 11.2 so looking for some interesting ways to use lighting! Although LOVE Fabiana's the best!

I always tread a thin line when I describe my renders, the stories I use to put the render in some sort of context is easy as I have a free hand and can make my own reality. Details are different, I do not want to take credit for the work of someone else but then I do not like to think of someone buying content on the strength of one of my render and then finding the materials they liked so much are not included in the package. Which is why I will usually say when I have changed some of the materials, assuming of course I mention the content I have used which I often don't.

I love Fabiana's stuff and have a lot of the older content, sadly much of the new stuff does not support my choice of using Dawn in Poser. I suppose some of it might with some work but I tend to like content that works straight out of the box as it were.

Me195

Extraordinary
Cool render, the outdoors lighting looks great! Did you use EZDome? ^_____^
Thank you very much. No, I used an HDRI on poser's Background with no lights. It's one I use a lot except this time I rotated the sun to the other side of the map and brought it closer to the ground using a mapping node. I also used a HSV node to reduce the strength of the HDRI to about half because the sun was closer to the ground.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Wow, it looks great for HDRI in Superefly. I haven't had much luck with it. I can do it with I-Ray and Octane, but not Superfly. I must be doing something wrong. What map did you use?

Me195

Extraordinary
Wow, it looks great for HDRI in Superefly. I haven't had much luck with it. I can do it with I-Ray and Octane, but not Superfly. I must be doing something wrong. What map did you use?
Thank you. Unfortunately HDRI in Superfly is a bit complicated. The HDRI I used is Kiara5 noon from hdrihaven, and this is the setup I usually use for the background.
Hdri.jpg

The only problem is that with this setup anything in any shadow will be grainy. This render took 80 samples(GPU) just to get to this quality.
Pretty Portrait.jpg

I am told you can actually greatly reduce the graininess if you have the textures and the background set up with proper cycles shaders. While I have seen examples of how to do this, I don't understand it enough to duplicate it. A big part of it is apparently input nodes, and I don't understand those at all. By the time I figure it out enough to write a tutorial poser will have moved on to a different render engine. I hope something out of all this rambling can be helpful.

I forgot to mention that you have to leave the detached nodes in the setup picture above intact or Poser will explode.