• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

CWRW Product Previews

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Hey JOdel- I feel ya- I had so many problems with the 3x versions crashing all the time on my Macs so I pretty much never used DS until 4x.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
The only time I'll look at a beta version of software, is if I'm on that software's beta team. Otherwise, not - gong - to - happen!

As far as DIM goes, I only use it for downloading, because I can download a bunch of files all at once, instead of one at a time. I never use it for installing.

Yeah I haven't used DIM for ages. I always do manual installs.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
You can have both the beta and the currant release installed at the same time.

Well maybe I will try over the supposed-to-be rainy weekend :(
I def will do a solid back up before trying it though:)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
It's likely to take me a while to learn the new hair deal so yeah I will most likely finish up the Lion Family ones, even if I do new ones with this new deal.

Has anyone seen any test renders of this new hair deal?

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
There are a few in the thread, but given the rate the thread is growing, it would take quite a hunt.

I suspect one of the big selling points is that it supports both 3DL and Iray. OTOH, it is a DS program feature so will almost guaranteed not translate too Poseer.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
There are a few in the thread, but given the rate the thread is growing, it would take quite a hunt.

I suspect one of the big selling points is that it supports both 3DL and Iray. OTOH, it is a DS program feature so will almost guaranteed not translate too Poseer.

I did find a whole thread showing test renders- so far anything done on animals is looking pretty awful IMO...
dForce Hair (as well as strand based hair and the strand based hair editor) in public beta

Also I did find a Daz3d youtube video that was a real quick overview.

I am sure this will not work for Poser in any way. For one that is not Daz's style:) And 2 I don't know it possibly could...

Still trying to get the beta to show up in my DIM...sigh...

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
On the other hand, one of the mods did a color demo which with shorter hairs might have made a very nice rug.

And Szark posted a link to a number of his renders using the Garabaldi plug-in which this was developed from. The one that made bird feathers on the heads and bodies of a couple of Ken's birds was particularly intriguing.

I was also rather heartened by RawArt's post giving a preview of an upcoming product of his which uses it. I used his LAMH preset for a gorilla render in a project last year. Also the one for orangoutangs. They worked quite satisfactorily, but I'd like to see how using a Garabaldi preset would compare.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Well.... once they have a build I can actually find in my stupid DIM (which I even got the latest/correct version/selected all the right filters and so on.. sigh) I'll see what I can do.... yes I have seen some awesome Garibaldi renders, so hopefully it has some promise for me.

Meanwhile I think I will just go ahead and finish my Lion Family LAMH stuff anyway...

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
That what was used for the cougar in the whitetail promo? Definitely interested in that.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
That what was used for the cougar in the whitetail promo? Definitely interested in that.

I used my WIP Cougar LAMH preset in that- need to fix a few things on that one.

I am wondering if Daz has even released a beta build for Mac yet- still not showing up in my DIM....

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
No idea. I vaguely think a couple of the posters in the beta thread are on Macs but since I won't use DIM, I haven't paid as much attention to the threads as I would have needed to to be certain.

4.11 has been in beta for several months in some form or other. I don't know whether they pull an earlier beta once they upload a new one.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Well it is looking like I will have to wait til I can get it to show up:) I've tried everything everyone suggested...

yeah I hate DIM:)

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Here are WIPs on the Lion Family LAMH presets meanwhile.... :)

Simba.jpg
LionMalwLAMHClump50_2.jpg
LionMalwLAMHClump50_4.jpg

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Haven't had time yet to learn anything dForce yet:) And I am terrible with dynamic clothing in Poser. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to learn:)
I'm getting better with Poser Dynamic but I can say that I find dForce much easier (but then again I just find DS easier in general LOL).

The thing I've found that causes the most explosions is the fabric getting "pinched" say when a hand touches a leg etc.
If its a simple pose with nothing touching I'll just doe a "current frame" sim, but if it has anything touching I start with default pose, set the pose I want on frame 5 (it helps if the torso is facing the same direction otherwise the fabric swirls or twists). If a hand is touching a body part (or legs etc), I select the arm somewhere (sometimes its best to do it from the forearm but other times a different area is needed) I copy the number (usually bend, but sometimes twist is best) then move it away from the body (depending on what the garment is this could be a small amount or if it has something like bell sleaves you may need more), then go to frame 10 (or more, again it will depend on the garment) and put the original number back in. This works 90% of the time, sometimes you may need to work on it some more to see what works. Sometimes you might have to do a couple of poses depending on what pose you want (for example, if you want her lying, you may want to sit on the ground then lying otherwise the fabric can do weird things).

If nothing is touching and you're still getting explosions (and its not a product that is "dForce ready") then it is most likely poorly made (such as not welded properly). I've found anything made for Poser dynamic works really well (even old V4 stuff, I'm guessing because its been made properly lol).

Hope this helps you get started so you don't get the frustration I had when I started (its frustrating enough when you cant get it to sit the way you want when you know what you're doing LOL) :p

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
The thing I've found that causes the most explosions is the fabric getting "pinched" say when a hand touches a leg etc. If its a simple pose with nothing touching I'll just doe a "current frame" sim, but if it has anything touching I start with default pose, set the pose I want on frame 5 (it helps if the torso is facing the same direction otherwise the fabric swirls or twists). If a hand is touching a body part (or legs etc), I select the arm somewhere (sometimes its best to do it from the forearm but other times a different area is needed) I copy the number (usually bend, but sometimes twist is best) then move it away from the body (depending on what the garment is this could be a small amount or if it has something like bell sleaves you may need more), then go to frame 10 (or more, again it will depend on the garment) and put the original number back in. This works 90% of the time, sometimes you may need to work on it some more to see what works. Sometimes you might have to do a couple of poses depending on what pose you want (for example, if you want her lying, you may want to sit on the ground then lying otherwise the fabric can do weird things).
You've pretty much mentioned exactly how I would do it in Poser as well. You always have to take into consideration any part of the character's body that "might" interfere with a garment during a simulation. Moving the part away from the torso, such as an arm, or even just the hand, will do the trick, but Satira once mentioned changing it back in the last frame, and that works beautifully.

The only time I wouldn't change it back until after the simulation is complete, is if the top or dress is sleeveless, because then there's no collision between the sleeves and the body of the top or dress, so it's only the character's arm/hand that needs to be away during the simulation. Even then, changing it back in the last frame would still help the garment sim naturally.

L'Adair

Enthusiast
Well maybe I will try over the supposed-to-be rainy weekend :(
I def will do a solid back up before trying it though:)
There are still a few issues with this beta on a MAC:
  • Mac Users:
    • Saving/Loading of scenes with Strand-Based Hair is not functional in this build; this is fixed in a subsequent build
If you can't install it yet, you may just be saved some aggravation.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
There are still a few issues with this beta on a MAC:
  • Mac Users:
    • Saving/Loading of scenes with Strand-Based Hair is not functional in this build; this is fixed in a subsequent build
If you can't install it yet, you may just be saved some aggravation.

Thanks!!!! I think I will wait for the real release. I know macs are the Oliver Twists in the Daz world. Though I still can't even find the beta in my DIM so it's academic anyway:)