• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What Is Your Favorite TV Show?

D

Deleted member 325

I would say Godzilla isn't evil in the same way a Lion or Tiger isn't evil. Just a force of nature.
Love Godzilla...especially the older Toho movies.

eclark1894

Visionary
Godzilla's about as evil as you are walking through the woods.

Although I would dearly love to see the old Toho Godzilla walk though Japan, stop and scrape something off the bottom of his foot.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Godzilla was never evil... He was just misunderstood... At least that's what his attorney claimed.

Actually, I think Godzilla wasn't evil. At least in the original Japanese movies. As I recall he was usually fighting the other giant monsters.

All of which reminds me of a line from an old X-Men comic book. I just remember people fleeing through the streets of New York (I think) and a friend of Wolverine's saying "These people would never survive in Tokyo during monster season."

eclark1894

Visionary
Here's the poop on Godzilla. Godzilla had a bird's brain in the original movies, which is why he was tramping all over downtown Tokyo. He was following a line of birds has they flew overhead. After that, everytime Godzilla popped up he would be following some typed of instinctual need. That included a few times when he had to battle some monster. After that, Toho simply had the army that Japan supposedly doesn't have airlift Godzilla to whoever they need him to fight.

McGyver

Energetic
Godzilla's about as evil as you are walking through the woods.

That might not be the best example of the difference between evil and not actually evil, just strolling in a spectacularly destructive manner... Especially if you would have seen me chasing that squirrel the other day*.

* No squirrels were harmed in the incident referenced as they had a good head start and I fell out of the tree.

D

Deleted member 325

By my comparison I meant, Godzilla's destructive swath and carnage was not by Evil intent, but instinct. Just as a Lion or Tiger is not evil for attacking or killing other animals for food, or to defend it's territory.

Yes, in the 70's Toho did a lot of movies where Godzilla was almost Heroic, or even intentionally Heroic (The best examples of the later two being Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, and Godzilla vs. Megalon, two of my favorites for sheer campiness). With the reboot in the 80's and 90's Godzilla's actions are less intentionally heroic and more of a "You're in my territory" type approach when fighting the other monsters. Japan tries to come up with methods to destroy him as well as the other monsters, but at the end of the day, for some reason, Godzilla is the hero and far less of a threat to the world as a whole as the other monsters.

Me, I just like that the Japanese movie companies build these massive, detail accurate scale model cities and then pay a guy in a rubber monster suit to stomp them flat. I tried this with Legos and some friends once myself...I really should have videotaped it (it was long before computer graphics were what they are today - even before youtube).

I also liked the Gammera movies from the 90's.

McGyver

Energetic
By my comparison I meant, Godzilla's destructive swath and carnage was not by Evil intent, but instinct. Just as a Lion or Tiger is not evil for attacking or killing other animals for food, or to defend it's territory.
Actually that's what I meant too... Or was agreeing to... I'm not sure anymore...
I'm naturally destructive while chasing other animals that have my food, for example that lousy squirrel with my cookie (double fudge chocolate chip).
Come on who wouldn't attack another animal for taking one of those...
But while that is my natural instinct, which on its own is not necessarily evil, I also got mad when I realized it was the last cookie... Which is always the best one... The last one is always the best one of anything...
Unless you are eating pistachios, in which case the last one will always have a moth larva in it, which will leave a horrible taste in your mouth... Except for people who slurp those down like pimentos, in which case it's like a bitter squoosy bonus...
So getting mad is kinda evil since that is not instinct and more like emotion, and it's probably leaning even more in the direction of evil if your intention is to traumatize the squirrel by duct taping him to a chair and forcing him to watch reruns of cheesy 70s sitcoms... Which was sorta my intent...
It's kinda confusing because initially it was my "it's running so I have to chase it" reflex/instinct (if you've ever had a dog you'll understand) which when I realized what the little booger was carrying, triggered my "he's got my cookie" instinct which is sort of a greedy instinct and greed is bad and duct taping squirrels to furniture and forcing them to watch bad TV shows is pretty evil.
I guess my point was- Godzilla was just being Godzilla and he was out for a stroll, so no bad intent there, but when I'm running through the woods there is a 50/50 chance I may be up to no good...
Or something like that.

And on a side note... I never knew there were Gammera movies made in the 90s... When I was 7 or 8 years old, Gammera was my favorite giant movie monster.

McGyver

Energetic
I was more of a Mothra fan myself.
I found Mothra dead in a light fixture last week... It might have been his cousin or some other relative though, because nobody in the media ever responded to my emails.
I really hope old movie monsters have not sunk so low on the charts that if it were him, nobody cared.
But it did look very moth-like and Mothra had butterfly wings...
I always thought Mothra looked more like a butterfly, but I suppose Butterflyra would not have tracked so well...

I feel I desecrated an entire genre of science fiction for my kids... Netflix has a couple of old Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes and I showed them that and some old Kaiju/Godzilla/Giant monster movies and we sat around making fun of the acting and irresponsible parenting (sure Timmy, you fly off with that giant turtle to battle that three headed whatever... Be back for supper...).
Granted, they were older when they saw it and they are very critical of even modern special effects...

Actually that reminds me... I think MST3000 is going to have a few new (2017) episodes on Netflix...?

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Actually that reminds me... I think MST3000 is going to have a few new (2017) episodes on Netflix...?

Yes, it is coming back. I'm so excited. I'm also stunned and shocked to think you would watch MST3K. I just don't see how a show about a random guy with some random robots made out of whatever he could put his hands on and a group of villains that are completely nonsensical would appeal to you at all.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I actually had to look up Mystery Science Theatre 3000, as I'd never heard of it. The MST3000 The Movie listing doesn't sound like anything I'd like to watch, so I'm sure I wouldn't want to watch any of the others either.

D

Deleted member 325

And on a side note... I never knew there were Gammera movies made in the 90s... When I was 7 or 8 years old, Gammera was my favorite giant movie monster.
They are:
Gamera: Gaurdian of the Universe
Gamera: Attack of Legion
Gamera: Revenge of Iris
Most often sold as a three pack now a days.

I was more of a Mothra fan myself.
I was never as big a fan of Mothra, Rodan, or King-Kong as I was of Godzilla and Gamera. Though there was a Mothra trilogy in the 90's as well (or as I like to say, the 2nd gold age of Kaiju movies). Those were all simply called Rebirth of Mothra I, II, III respectively (though I swear there was one called Mothra vs Battra but it is not listed officially now).

I watch a lot of Giant Monster movies... a lot...

McGyver

Energetic
I actually had to look up Mystery Science Theatre 3000, as I'd never heard of it. The MST3000 The Movie listing doesn't sound like anything I'd like to watch, so I'm sure I wouldn't want to watch any of the others either.
It's actually quite terrible and I'm pretty sure that was the point... It's like being back in college and watching really bad movies with a bunch of semi funny wise guys... Not like Sopranos wise guys... knucklehead wise guys...
If you don't get time to watch movies and your movie time has to count, or if you are serious about movies and don't like wasting time on nonsense, then MST 3000 is not for you... But if you find yourself flipping through channels and stopping on horror classics like "Teenage Werewolf Beach Party"or "It Came From Beyond The Back Of The Fridge", just to marvel at their crapulence and terrible dialogue, and often find yourself laughing at the sheer level of terribleness, then MST3000 might not be so bad...
It's a "hosted" show... Like those old late night shows that would have a monster theme host (like the crypt keeper or Elvira Mistress of the Dark) who would introduce the (terrible B grade) movie and make hackneyed comments or do trivia at commercial breaks.
MST3000 goes a step further in that the host and his wise ass robots "sit in" on the movie with you and make wise cracks and comments while it plays...
Sometimes they aren't funny, and other times they can get on a roll... It's entertaining late at night if you've had a few beers or if you are watching it with kids who don't need much to make them laugh... Sadly the older ones tend to have a lot dated jokes that made sense in the late 80s or early 90s... Now even I take like five minutes to process some them before I get reference... but maybe it's the beers...
It's definitely not for everyone, but if you tend to notice all the bad details and plot holes in bad movies, and enjoy someone else wondering aloud why there is a doorknob at shoulder height in a doctor's office, or why the crash victims car suddenly changed from a 70s Cadillac sedan to an 60s Ford station wagon before it blows up, you might get some chuckles from this.
Or hate me for even mentioning it to begin with.

Miss B

CV-BEE
It's a "hosted" show... Like those old late night shows that would have a monster theme host (like the crypt keeper or Elvira Mistress of the Dark) who would introduce the (terrible B grade) movie and make hackneyed comments or do trivia at commercial breaks.
See now, I liked Elivra, maybe because I've always liked Goth, and she reminded me of what I thought a Goth character should look like.

Miss B

CV-BEE
+1 :D

I can't recall, was Elvira's anything like the one Carolyn Jones wore as Morticia in the Addams Family?

MorticiaAddams.jpg

Last edited: