• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What Is Your Favorite TV Show?

eclark1894

Visionary
What I always found amazing about B5 was, it was all written by a single person. Most TV series have a team of writers, and after a while it gets boring seeing the same theme over, and over, and over again. How he kept the scripts new and different for the 5-6 years it was on, is totally amazing to me.

Deep Space 9 was probably my favorite of the Star Trek series, though I liked Voyager too.

Actually, Miss B, JM Straczynski did'nt write Babylon 5 completely alone. He created the series concept and sketched out the show to last for about five years over time. So each season was more or less like a different book or chapter in the story. He did write a majority of the scripts (110), but several episodes were written by people like Peter David, Harlan Ellison, DC Fontana and Neil Gaiman just to name a few.

EDIT: I know this because I was on AOL at the time as was Peter David who I had some contact with online. He also used to have his own blog, but he no longer allows comment anymore.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhh, now that I didn't know. It's pretty amazing he got the likes of Harlan Ellison and Neil Gaiman to write episodes.

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
Time Tunnel's on Hulu too.

Not sure why they have to make the shows Dark and Brooding.

Seems that if a show doesn't start off dark, once they do the "big reveal", the next season they do a tone shift to dark to keep your attention. I find, that for me, unless they also lighten it up a little, its exhausting to watch all the angst and struggling constantly, especially when I am binge watching.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear

Seems that if a show doesn't start off dark, once they do the "big reveal", the next season they do a tone shift to dark to keep your attention. I find, that for me, unless they also lighten it up a little, its exhausting to watch all the angst and struggling constantly, especially when I am binge watching.

I'm of the same mind....

eclark1894

Visionary

As a rule Supergirl and Flash are not that dark. Arrow on the other hand was meant to be dark. But they're all superhero genre and that means that things have to get really bad before the superhero rallies, turns things around and saves the day.

quietrob

Extraordinary
What network is it on Rob?

It's on the cable channel METV or ME TV Here is the page Time Tunnel

I especially loved when they had to send someone into the past to save the guys. I think it was an attack by the Roman Empire. And this old wardog of a Soldier they sent back to save their bacon pulled out a machine gun! They needed more of that. I have no problem with revisionist Time Travel anachronisms!

quietrob

Extraordinary
I watched Law and Order for years. Now days the only one I can watch is Criminal Intent. I found Criminal Minds too brutal. I suppose I'm a gentle soul at heart except when it came time for Spartacus.

I do like the new Sherlock movies on PBS but the actor is now too in demand to truly commit to new episodes. He played Kahn in the Star Trek movies, Doctor Strange recently and is just busy all the time. He made a wonderfully obnoxious Sherlock! Oh and it's set in MODERN DAY England. Not the past.

Miss B

CV-BEE
It's on the cable channel METV or ME TV Here is the page Time Tunnel
Now there's 2 faces I haven't seen on TV in years. Unfortunately, TWC doesn't have MeTV on it's roster, or at least not here in NYC.

I watched Law and Order for years.
They shot scenes from an episode in the second year (or maybe the third year) at my old law firm. I actually got to meet Chris Noth one day as I rode down in the elevator with him and the black actor who played the ADA the first few years it was on the air. I can't recall his name, but remember him doing a guest appearance years later as a defense lawyer.

Now days the only one I can watch is Criminal Intent.
That's the only one of the L&O shows I can't watch regularly, unless I'm sure Vincent D'Onofrio isn't starring in the episode playing. I so dislike him.

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I miss ME Tv :( I don't have cable any more. I did the cord-cutting thing. There are a lot of classics on Hulu though.

I've watched quite of few of the Law and Order, CSI and Criminal Minds, mainly because of my wife. Watched a few episodes of American Horror Story and Breaking Bad for the same reason. Not to say that they aren't enjoyable or interesting, just not something I go out and seek to watch.

It's hard for me to pin down what I gravitate to or not. It isn't necessarily all about it being too darkly themed. It's probably if I can care about some of the characters enough to follow it. There has to be a quality in one or more characters that I can identify with.

I didn't have any problem with watching The Strain and I adore Ash vs the Evil Dead (partly fun characters, partly because it's so over the top it's a cartoon). Some series I initially like but then I get turned off on. Watched the Walking Dead until the sheriff lost his humanity and then it seemed to be about who is going to **** over who or how can we show off the worst in the human race and I was like... blah. It's interesting for a while but things run their course and it's the same old, same old.

I still watch Supernatural (not all the time, I do "catch ups") and it's WAY WAY past its prime. The lead characters have died and come back to life 2 or 3 times each, they've killed off most of the supporting cast, they've saved the world 5 or 6 times now. LOL.

Some of it is contextual or depends on how it is presented, as well. I'm not really into True Blood or Game of Thrones even though I greatly enjoy horror and fantasy... But I'm much more likely to watch Child's Play or Friday the 13th versus watching Saw, so it's probably the approach.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I rented the first season of Game of Thrones but was disappointed, probably because I've read the books, and enjoyed them immensely.

Friday the 13th isn't my type of show or movie, as I'm not into horror at all. I guess my taste in TV series reflect my preference for book genres. IOW, science fiction, crime fiction/murder mysteries, foreign intrigue/spy, and when in the mood, fantasy, though I read more fantasy books than watch fantasy type shows.

Last edited:

quietrob

Extraordinary
I suppose I'm lucky to have such a robust TWC cable, and thus METV here in Southern Cal. It's fun to catch Perry Mason or even the Beverly Hillbillies if I'm in a silly mood. Strange how the latter show had an adult theme that I didn't recognize as a child. I'm betting you have I don't though.

First, how can you not like Thor?
Thor Vince.jpg

Well we do all our own tastes.

I never read the Game of Throne books but by now I'm used to TV or the Movies changing things up due to time and cost. Things are always different. The ending of the Natural was despised by some critics but was beloved by Baseball fans. World War Z was different than the books. It left out a lot but I thought the Movie did a good job interpreting it. The Lord of the Rings didn't win all those oscars because they were lacking. I know they took liberties. I did read Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit but all six movies were worthy of my time. The movies and the books are always different. Shoot, even the DC heroes that rule the CW are all different than their book incarnations. They are worthy.

I didn't know Harlan Ellison wrote an episode of Babylon 5! He wrote the best Star Trek episode ever as well. The cream will rise to the top. It's no wonder they series was so good. One thing. That series was bought and presented on a local channel.
That local channel became in financial flux and replayed the same EPISODE of the shadow creatures every friday for at least two months. It was so bad I was mouthing the dialogue at the same time as the actors. I kept waiting for the new episodes, read about them but it was always that same with Sheridan leaping over the cliff as his real life wife came to "turn" him. (Half Pint! How could you!) I didn't see the new episodes until the next year when they upgraded our cable and I got the syfy channel.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I don't know if it's lacking here in NY, but TWC shows whatever networks will do well in different markets. Maybe they didn't feel it would work here. I do watch Hallmark Movies and Mysteries on occasion, and can catch Murder She Wrote (at odd hours of the day), and Diagnosis Murder. I think they also show Columbo, and Hart to Hart, though I don't recall if they run Perry Mason. Another old-time favorite of mine.

As far as movies always being different than the original books, that's always a given, though I think the LoTR movies were pretty close. Game of Thrones, on the other hand, are huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge books (the first being the smallest at close to 900 pages), so it's hard to retain all those details, even if it's a weekly series. What's interesting, however, is this current (?) season is past the last published book, so I'm wondering if they got a very detailed outline from George R.R Martin so they could film the newest episodes.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
@Pendraia Vampires are despicable in their seduction of young girls and turning others into a Vampires plus you'll never catch me wearing one of those Little Lord Fauntleroy outfits. Plus they killed Kate Beckinsale in Hellsing. I love Kate. Zombies do roughly the same thing but since you have no brain it doesn't seem quite as creepy plus you don't have to wear one of those Lestat foppish outfits! They should pay the Artist better known as Prince a royalty for wearing those clothes.
:rofl:I don't think Spike ever wore an outfit like that...Lestat*shrugs*, I never did watch...it didn't appeal at all. I did enjoy Hellsing though but I'm not as pro kate as you seem to be though...if i have a choice on what I'm watching eye candy works every time...rotting skin doesn't have the same appeal.

Netherworks

Enthusiast
Contributing Artist
I really liked Spike :)

Buffy was an interesting series. I found the show entertaining even when I wasn't always on board with the sub-plots, like the romance between Angel and Buffy. It also was novel in that I found many of the villians and rotating secondary characters very interesting. I like the "hunter" angle too (Supernatural, Buffy) versus the Anti-Hero Monster angle, but I've always enjoyed the classic vampire movie style (Hammer film fan here). Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the vampire hero, it's just way overplayed at this point.

That's the only one of the L&O shows I can't watch regularly, unless I'm sure Vincent D'Onofrio isn't starring in the episode playing. I so dislike him.
And he's the reason why I liked Criminal Intent. Whereas Chris Noth never was my favourite, neither in the original Law& order, nor years later in Criminal Intent..

:rofl:I don't think Spike ever wore an outfit like that...Lestat*shrugs*, I never did watch...it didn't appeal at all. I did enjoy Hellsing though but I'm not as pro kate as you seem to be though...if i have a choice on what I'm watching eye candy works every time...rotting skin doesn't have the same appeal.
Not that I remember.....Actually the film "Interview with an Vampire" was not that bad, I've seen worst ones.....Hellsing was good, and you had your eye candy in Hugh Jackman (not to mention he's a good actor though one has to watch one of his lesser known films for that). Buffy actually brought me back to the Vampire genre which I avoided for years due to Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski (I was around 12 when I've seen that one and Kinski was a scary creepy vampire)

eclark1894

Visionary
For what its worth to anyone who's interested, YouTube does have some full episodes of The Time Tunnel. They're shrunk down and slightly sped up, but other than being a little annoying voice wise, no biggie.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'm totally on the fence with Designated Survivor. I'll finish Season 1, but probably won't continue watching if renewed for a second season. Kiefer Sutherland isn't one of my favorite actors. Mostly because he always whispers rather than speaking. Give me an actor like Patrick Stewart who never leaves you guessing as to what he just said.

Lethal Weapon has grabbed me, and I like that Martin Riggs (Clayne Crawford) is starting to connect again after the devastating loss of his wife and child. He opened up more in Can I Get a Witness, and the end was very encouraging. Damon Wayans and Clayne Crawford work well together ... which I didn't expect with Damon Wayans. I kinda did a huh? on seeing Damon Wayans listed. Clayne Crawford has appeared in several episodes of shows I've watched (Jerico, The Glades, Justified, Rectify), but I didn't realize I'd ever seen him before. Part of the appeal with Lethal Weapon is that Martin Riggs is so indestructible.

Lucifer is back, and I still enjoy it. ‎Tom Ellis is perfect as Lucifer Morningstar, as are D. B. Woodside as Amenadiel Firstborn and Lesley-Ann Brandt as Mazikeen. I don't care at all for Tricia Helfer as Lucifer and Amenadiel's mother and hope she either goes back to hell soon, or finds some other child to cling to.

Love The Librarians too and just finished watching Season 2.

It was the interactions between the cast on Firefly that most appealed to me. Well ... that and it was a space western. Growing up on westerns and discovering science fiction at a very early age ... how could I not love a space western?!? And of course, it's a band of rebels taking on a big, bad, and corrupt government. What's not to love about Robin Hood? (Ron Glass, who played Shepherd Book (and Barney Miller's Ron Harris), died November 25.)

D

Deleted member 325

At the risk of starting a fight, I just don't get Firefly and why people loved it so much. I saw one or two episodes... meh.
Initially I felt the same when it was on first run (missed the pilot/1st episode and trying to jump in I just didn't care for it). I did not truly come to appreciate the show until 1 night visiting family, when insomnia hit, I was channel surfing and caught the opening battle of the first episode. That was enough for me to stop and see what sort of show it was - and I grew to love it. The channel it was on just picked it up and was running an entire series marathon that night, so I watched all of the episodes, back to back, and came to love the characters, the way they played off of each other, and this greatly offset a lot of the aspects I did not like.

Given that, I will say this is one you need to catch from the start to really appreciate. It is hard to jump right in to. I have even gotten a few people I know who were initially against this to give it a watch from the first episode and changed their minds. I would say, if you know someone who might lend you the DVD sets, or if you have a service you can queue it up on, give it another try from the beginning. Say give it 2 episodes - then you will know for sure you either aren't fond of it, or you will decide to watch it through.

My greatest concern over talk to bring it back recast is that the cast really made the show. I do not know if a new cast will work and mesh as well.