• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What is a "Slut Dress"?

Hornet3d

Wise
True.
In Honesty I was more aiming my response in reference to Hornet3D's mention of not seeing Viki go into battle in a Bikini. As a general rule I would tend to agree with that sentiment - but then it hit me (mainly because I have been doing a lot of Savage and Jungle themed images lately) that there are a number of Male heros in pop culture and literature through the ages who go into conflict in little more than a loin cloth, and maybe bracers/armlets. Though the skimpy armor for female characters does seem way overdone at a glance - I just wanted to provide a seldom considered contrast.

It was a fair point and one I had not thought of, then again there have been more than a few women in films and TV shows that have been dressed in a similar manner. I guess it could even have been true in real live in battles in the past. I can understand it in savage and jungle themes as well, I guess I was more thinking on the fantasy and sci fi outfits that seem to exist in high numbers in the Poser/DS world. I would give examples but it would be wrong to single out a particular outfit, or vendor for that matter.

Rowan54

Dragon Queen
Contributing Artist
Some of the skimpy armor for women characters look even less comfortable than chastity belts (which cover much of the same area), and don't cover any of the vital organs. How could anyone even *walk* in "metal undies" let alone *fight*?
Did anyone (besides primitive tribes) in the real world ever go to war in a loin cloth? Somehow, I doubt it.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
I believe the Spartans went into battle with little on, and its rumoured that the ancient brits went charging in wearing only woad(blue paint).

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
The annoying thing is that my school is an all girls school and there are no boys to get excited over a glimpse of a few bare toes or ankles. Who would even get all worked up about toes or ankles anyway?

The point, of course is to teach you 'body shame'. I am sure that the heads of the church (pretty much any organized church) are convinced that this will stand you in good stead all your life, and keep you out of trouble.

quietrob

Extraordinary
The annoying thing is that my school is an all girls school and there are no boys to get excited over a glimpse of a few bare toes or ankles. Who would even get all worked up about toes or ankles anyway?
I once read a book where a time traveler went to the early 1900's to experience his childhood from an adult point of view. He ran into his family and ended up falling in love with his Mother even as the five year old version of himself delighted in torturing the Time Traveler. However, because fashion at turn of the 20th century was nothing but clothes covering more clothes and outrageous hats, he caught a glimpse of a bare ankle and got excited! It all depends on your culture and it's time in the world view. For instance from my point of view I see nothing about a man to get worked up about but I watched a friend narrow her eyes and give off indicators when she saw a hairy chest.

Suppose you lived in Tehran, Iran? How much ankle do the men see there?

An all girls school? They still have those?

D

Deleted member 325

Did anyone (besides primitive tribes) in the real world ever go to war in a loin cloth? Somehow, I doubt it.
From historical references, and just a quick list at a glance (loincloth like or similar):
Early Greeks, Kelts, Nords, Many African tribes including Zulu and Masai, Early Egyptians, Infamous Norse Berserkers wore nothing at all..., American Indian garb for some tribes was close to little more than a loincloth and moccasins.
Again, just a very quick list from the hip. Research would bring me far more examples.

D

Deleted member 325

Masai, Zulu, and American Indian Tribes into the 1800s when parts of the world had rifles yet were still in such attire. Viking Berserkers, and Kelt tribes into 14th and 15th century when European troops had mail or better armor . In 1879 in South Africa, Zulu forces, essentially wearing tribal garb and loincloth like attire with spears and bows primarily, engaged the British Royal Army's main column and defeated it. Throughout the late 1800's and into the early 1900s a number of American Indian tribes continued fighting American Colonial Forces (U.S. Forces) and were still often wearing traditional war garb.
Again just from memory and a quick glance at commonly taught historical sources, detailed research would yield more examples in close to modern times.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I've never had problems with loincloths ... when appropriate. As with early greeks, kelts, nords, etc. What I object to is when the male warrior is in full armor, head to toe, and the female warrior is wearing a chain mail bikini.

A cloth loincloth is one thing ... one made of chain mail with nothing under just can't be comfortable a-tall, a-tall!

@Satira Capriccio
You mentioned, I think, 'granny dresses' earlier, which made me think also of a style hippie chicks wore called 'Muumuus'.
But those were not worn like the actual Hawaiian ones, which were pretty much just tents.
The Muumuus I saw in the Bay area had a kind of bodice section.
Now you have your Boho which actually looks like styles that hippie chicks wore too.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ohhhh, I haven't thought about Muumuus since I was in Hawaii back in the late '60s. IIRC, my mom had a "house dress" that fit like a Muumuu, which she wore at home because it was extremely comfortable, but wouldn't have been caught in outside the house. ;)

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
From what I'm reading, there's no "one size fits all" for how much or how little clothing is worn. The choice of clothing is dependent on culture, religion, location, period in time and many other things. When choosing "impractical" armor for a woman in a scene, it's best to match the man's armor to the same time period. Not so much a bias against NVIATWAS images, just that sometimes they don't make sense.

I recall way back in the early days we didn't have much in the way of clothing for our 3D figures and fantasy armor was some of the first offerings available to purchase. There was the Changing Fantasy Suit for V2. You turned a dial to load a new skirt or new top. I think there's at least one image in my Renderosity gallery where I used two "naked" Vicky's in a battle scene (overcoming the hurdle of crosstalk which prevented loading more than one of the same figure in one scene) using that Fantasy Suit.

My budget for 3D content was really small so a lot of my renders were nude and then painted over. I spent what I could afford to and then made promo renders for people in exchange for their product to try and collect more. I was very new to the whole Poser world so I figured the more i could improve my render skills, the more people would want to gift me their product in exchange for a render.

At the time getting a really good render without postwork was challenging so I used Poser as my sketch book and then learned how to use Photoshop to paint over the renders. I had an idea for a render using denim and there was nothing out there to buy, so I learned how to make my own denim textures for the clothing I had to try and make do. That led me to becoming a vendor at Renderosity way back in 2001 or 2002. My products are long since clearanced out of there by now.

Wow, meandering down memory lane ... anyway ... just to make the point that sometimes the choice of what goes in an image is based on what is in the Runtime Library.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I joined Renderosity in 2001 and not sure if they were first I joined or DAZ 3D , but around the same time.
If I remember correctly M2 had a fantasy suit type thing but it all loaded together, I think I still have it in my zips collections.
And I had the one for V2 as well, mostly I depended on freebies.
Being limited on money I had to learn to texture on my own using Photoshop.
Sometimes my Vickys wore very skimpy clothes.
And there were discussions there as to what was sexy, what was trashy and so forth.
Depending on how the users were raised or where they were from, opinions were different.
People of other countries thought most Americans were too conservative or prudish...lol.
As to what is a slutty dress, depends on the region and the person because what is normal fr one is trashy or slutty to another.

eclark1894

Visionary
Since you guys want to continue with this topic, I thought this might give you a quick smile. There is, btw, a whole series of these if you want to check them out.

Last edited: