• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

What is a "Slut Dress"?

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Though a lot of clothing could be considered that, I've never seen it used as a name. Did a google search and didn't find anything either.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I've only ever heard "slut" used to describe some things that some girls and women wear or use, such as slut red lipstick, slut stockings, slut boots and any tight/short clothing (short skirts, thongs etc) even in winter. I guess anything that shows off the curves in all situations can be called slutty?

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
True Bonnie. I always assume they're referring to the type of woman/girl who's wearing that makeup and clothes, etc., so I wouldn't think of giving a piece of clothing the name Slut Dress, unless the character who's going to be wearing it is specifically portrayed as a slut. The dress itself isn't the slut. ;)

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I wouldn't go that far, Bonnie. There is quite a lot of clothing that shows off curves without being overly sexualized.

There's ... this one.
upload_2018-3-18_15-17-47.png

and this one ... even if the back dips too low for MY comfort. But in my opinion, it's still tasteful.
upload_2018-3-18_15-20-3.png
upload_2018-3-18_15-21-31.png

Now of course, Miley has entire closets dedicated to clothing that most consider "slutwear" given they are see through, have more holes than cloth, or so short and tight she'd better never sit. But surprisingly, she's actually shown a bit of restraint a time or two.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
I've only ever heard "slut" used to describe some things that some girls and women wear or use, such as slut red lipstick, slut stockings, slut boots and any tight/short clothing (short skirts, thongs etc) even in winter. I guess anything that shows off the curves in all situations can be called slutty?

WOW that is one hell of a judgemental statement.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Bonnie is just stating what most of the opinions used to be, doesn't mean she thinks that.
There is less people thinking that way now as gals tend to dress the way they want and not be dictated to by society.
The fifties and years prior were very sexist and people were very judgmental of female actions and dress styles.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I didn't think Bonnie was stating how she perceived that type of clothing/girl stuff, but rather that she thought society seems to define anything that shows off a woman's figure as being slutty.

But yes. Some people are extremely judgmental regarding what others wear or do. To them, pretty much anything that isn't a prairie style dress would be considered slutty.

upload_2018-3-18_17-36-58.png

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Bonnie is just stating what most of the opinions used to be, doesn't mean she thinks that.....

Yes and as I posted that's what I've heard. Remember that I live in holy Catholic Ireland and it's drilled into us from an early age (from our parents and adults in general) that we girls should cover everything up, which is why our school uniform skirts go all the way down to our ankles. We don't like it, but that's the way it is. :(

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
I'm pretty sure the ankles are about 6 inches or so above the knees. That was one of the changes we instigated in 60s.

We get around it by rolling our skirts up at the waist, but not so much that it makes us look like we have a spare tyre on our bellies!
I really think schools should give up on the long skirt rule as almost every girl gets around it in one way or another. The same with the no face make up and nail varnish rules, my school makes us take it all off with face wipes and they even took the mirrors out of the bathrooms! But we won't be defeated you know, we just apply the make up sparingly so it isn't very noticable, and we use our mobile phone reverse cameras to get around the lack of mirrors. :)

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
The schools here (in STL and a few other towns) have stopped trying to control the make-up on kids.
You even see it on some 1st and 2nd graders.
And the guys as well, they like the eyeliner and mascara. :)

eclark1894

Visionary
We get around it by rolling our skirts up at the waist, but not so much that it makes us look like we have a spare tyre on our bellies!
I really think schools should give up on the long skirt rule as almost every girl gets around it in one way or another. The same with the no face make up and nail varnish rules, my school makes us take it all off with face wipes and they even took the mirrors out of the bathrooms! But we won't be defeated you know, we just apply the make up sparingly so it isn't very noticable, and we use our mobile phone reverse cameras to get around the lack of mirrors. :)
Personally, I blame Marcia Brady! It's all her fault.:sneaky:

I didn't think Bonnie was stating how she perceived that type of clothing/girl stuff, but rather that she thought society seems to define anything that shows off a woman's figure as being slutty.

But yes. Some people are extremely judgmental regarding what others wear or do. To them, pretty much anything that isn't a prairie style dress would be considered slutty.

View attachment 36089

Those have got to be the happiest women I've ever seen. :laugh:

On the other hand, look how miserable these 'sluts' are:

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Oh my, those faces on those women in dresses!
That's me when I'm forced into a dress for any reason.

I figured what you meant there about the judgmental attitude, not that Bonnie was being judgmental.
There are less people now (at least in this country) who are less prone to call anyone a slut over dress or make-up.

We were not allowed to were Levi's or Blue Jeans, slacks of any sort to school, even under our skirts.
In bitter cold Winter we had to go into the cloak room and remove any slacks or jeans we had worn fr warmth.
Why?
Because it would distract the boys to see them peeking out under our skirts.
But never mind that those same boys were so distracted by us having to remove them that they peeked into the cloak room. :laugh:
That is why I love the more relaxed attitude in dressing today, no dresses or skirts for me if I can avoid it.
Slacks or stretch pants are way more comfortable and that is what I dress for.