• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Todays Weather where you live?

DanaTA

Distinguished
Well, it’s dark now and I’m not looking forward to losing an hour when the clocks change this weekend.
Stupid Daylight Saving Time... surely they’ve saved enough daylight, they need to start giving some back now.
We don't lose an hour, we gain an extra hour of play! (Diane says we get an extra hour of sleep...but what fun is that?) It's Fall Back time!

Dana

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Such a beautiful morning yesterday then at midday it was like someone turned the lights off and for the rest of the afternoon/night it thunder stormed, we even had hail. I'm so over the storms, I hope its nice today.

McGyver

Energetic
We don't lose an hour, we gain an extra hour of play! (Diane says we get an extra hour of sleep...but what fun is that?) It's Fall Back time!

Dana
Yeah, I meant lose an hour of evening light... it gets light earlier, but soon it’ll be getting dark at 5PM... Blegh.
The sucky part about the extra sleep thing is, for me, I still get up at the same point... the clock time is irrelevant.
I think part of my insanity is based on not getting enough sleep.
Oh well... who needs sleep anyway.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You better take precautions tomorrow McGyver, as we're getting more gale force winds with gusts up to 45mph. They're talking about the western Long Island Sound, New York Harbor, and the Long Island south shore bays, which is pretty close to where you are, if I remember correctly.

McGyver

Energetic
Its Monday now, but yes, my wife took precautions and made me stay inside... almost... she left one of the windows unlocked and I crawled out... unfortunately it was the second floor window and when I bounced off the roof below, I made a loud enough “thud” that it alerted her to my escape.
After she untangled me from the rosebush I fell on, she voiced her disappointment and I decided to stay inside...
Mostly because the lighting inside was better for picking out the thorns.
It was pretty windy last night, but it usually is around here due to the proximity of the water... so far I haven’t gone outside to see if anything is wrecked, but from the windows it looks normally wind blown.
Except for one of the rose bushes... it looks like something big and stupid fell on it...
Weird...

Miss B

CV-BEE
Glad to hear you guys are OK. The wind's been howling here pretty steady since late last night. At least the sun's out, with little to no chance of rain, so I might actually get out of the house today, as I didn't yesterday with the steady rain all day.

McGyver

Energetic
The winds finally died down here a little while ago... The early darkness is annoying... I was running out of daylight faster than I expected and had to stop some yard work before I was finished... sooooo many branches lying everywhere.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I'm afraid to see how many branches are down in my back yard. there are always some every time I go out there to do yardwork. But, except for maybe fallen leaf control, I think I'm done with yardwork for the season.

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
We had gale force winds again today, so I was bundled up, including pulling my hood up when I was out today It quieted down again late afternoon, but I don't like when it's that windy.

McGyver

Energetic
It’s foggy right now... 52°F/11°C... Feels like good weather to go out onto the moors and search for the ghost of Amos Stellenwerf...
Actually, I’m not sure the marshes around here constitute moors...
According to everything I’ve read, a moor is a like a fen, and a fen is a kind of marsh... and people would go hunting on the moors, and here people would go hunting in the marshes... for ducks...
But back then in Stellenwerf‘s day (1840s) ducks were the most fearsome predators known to mankind... or really tasty if cooked right... either way people on Long Island have been obsessed with ducks...
They are either shooting them (presumably for some ages old act of violence committed by the ducks), eating them, naming crappy minor league sports teams after them, or making buildings in the shape of them...
072FBF7E-27C3-4041-9311-484FB906C075.jpeg
2F38C74A-28D5-4D29-BDAC-35EC7FAAAEFB.jpeg

Sorry, but I had to add a picture of the duck’s back door... which is actually accurate because all ducks have air conditioning units just below their tails... that’s why you see that trail of bubbles behind them when they are swimming... it’s not duck farts, it’s cold air bubbling out of the cooling vent and actually helps them take off quicker... like JATO rockets on old military transport aircraft.
Long Island’s native ducks don’t actually look like that duck though...
They are mostly mallards... which are kinda colorful...
The “Big Duck” was painted white because at one time it was a poultry store that sold mostly farm raised ducks which are white...
But it is built to the scale of the giant “Murder Ducks” that took the life of Amos Stellenwerf...
Actually I have no idea how, when or if Amos ever died... in fact he could still be walking the moors looking for his lost boot to this day...
Amos actually owned a lake house hotel near Knapp’s Lake, which is totally not haunted or infested with lake monsters like I used to tell my kids...
But apparently Brookwood Hall, a large estate house that was built on the site of the lake house is...
It was built by the wealthy Knapp family in 1903 and sold to the Thorne family in 1929 who lived in it until 1941 when it was sold to the Orphan Asylum of Brooklyn...
Over the years there were a few drownings in the lake, giant murder ducks attacked the hotel, it partly burned down in the late 1800s killing a horse (who probably started the fire because cows and horses in the 1800s were real pyromaniacs) and the whole orphanage thing pretty much assured a ghost or two...
The estate is now called Brookwood Hall and is part of the town’s municipal buildings and actually houses an art gallery where I had the opportunity of showing some of my crappy art a few years ago... If you can get past the tortured screams of the resident spirits, it’s actually kinda nice... the grounds are several acres, they have a large carriage house that used to be an public artist’s loft, but now houses several tractors and snow plows, there is a community vegetable garden, a former servant’s domicile that’s a senior center/summer daycare and a nice sized lake for drownings... it’s filled with perch, a few trout and at least one lake monster that’s probably a really mangy Canadian goose.
Some of the town employees have claimed they’ve heard children crying or laughing in the building, but considering the grounds are public and just brimming over with kids playing nearby I’m sure at least one of the ghosts people claimed to have seen was actually a child ejected from a swing or seesaw... you can get some good distance if you try hard enough...
F19341CE-6388-4F43-A667-F02F195ABD51.jpeg
... < Thats Brookwood Hall... Creepy looking, no?
Anyway... Sorry if this is diverting from weather related information, but I’m currently trying to avoid thinking about something that is currently occupying my attention and quite possibly a lot of people’s attention...
Its been on the news a lot recently...
If you are assuming that I’m referring to the annual migration of Wildebeesets/Gnus from Tanzania's Serengeti plains to the grasslands of Kenya's Masai Mari... then... yeah, sure... that’ll do...
But I’m very stressed and trying to not think about it, so I’ve been writing and starting small fires, screaming at squirrels and doing lots of random stuff to distract me...
Unfortunately, this is one of those things.
Anyway... Brookwood Hall is nowhere near the marshes, so it would be pointless to go there looking for Stellenwerf’s ghost in the fog...
But, there is another estate right on the marshes that serves as a nature education center...
Its now part of the 70 acre Seatuck National Wildlife Refuge and used to be known as the Harold H. Weekes estate, or later the “Scully Estate”... but to the owners it was know as “Wereholme”...
Come on... “Wereholme”?
65AA55BA-0624-46FF-9AAE-5EDCAA2DBEAD.jpeg
< That’s Wereholme... complete with fairytale turret.
You build a fairytale french provincial estate on the edge of a moor and name it Wereholme and you are going to tell me it’s not rotten with werewolves and possibly a few vampires from the nearby Gustav Von Nosferatu estate...
Okay... I made up the Gustav Von Nosferatu estate... It’s actually a small house owned Stanley N. Osferatu and it’s a little further away, not on the moors and is more of a tasteful cape style home built by the well known Long Island architect, Orlok Chiroptera, who is totally not a vampire and despite being over 287 years old, is still quite active in the fields of architecture and phlebotomy.
Totally normal stuff, I promise.
Well, now that I’ve spent so much time writing this and taking screaming breaks (Wildebeest migration, remember?), the fog has lifted and it’s a tiny bit sunny outside.
I might go down to Wereholme one day when it’s foggy and take some pictures of the mists on the moors...
It’s really majestic...
Its, not...
It’s damp and muddy and full of crabs and cranky seabirds...
The only reason I’d go there in the fog is to take pictures to share with you folks and most pictures taken in the fog are kind of... White? Foggy?... I basically could take a picture of my upstairs bathroom wall and it’ll look the same.
The estate really is kinda moody and great for pictures, but I already have tons of pictures I’ve taken there...
One day I’m going to get around to making a model of the place, which is why I took all the pictures of it and the random werewolves living there in the first place.
So yeah, most of this wasn’t about the weather and I barely even talked about the fog.
Well, I should go do something useful...
Thank you for indulging me in this long rambling essay on nothing meaningful... perhaps it helped distract you from the Wildebeest migration too...
Either way, I hope the weather is good and werewolf free where you are.
Cheers.

Last edited:

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
We have currently also warm. Humid , one half of the day sunny other half cloudy but warm.
And we have an Ladybug invasion. They are all over outside and inside the house, in the fields after a dogwalk, I am covered with Ladybugs :D
The forecast did not change much next week. :confused:

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2020-11-08 114331.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-11-08 114331.png
    231.6 KB · Views: 105