• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Todays Weather where you live?

theschell

Brilliant
Weather for the next 14 days here is 33c/95f or higher with 65-95% humidity.... high today and tomorrow is expected to be 37c/99f with Tuesday hitting 38c/100f plus...

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Better than "out west" though. In BC the heat is trumping COVID. Saw this morning that BC is dropping mask mandates due to the difficulty in breathing due to their heat and humidity the next week. Supposed to break Country wide records. They are in the 40's+ for the next while. BTW, I'm not far from you actually. T.O.

MEC4D

Zbrushing through the topology
Contributing Artist
I just had nightmarish flashback of being a kid in 70's New Jersey in the summer. No AC. Plus mosquitos. I'm not sure how I survived. Some days, I'm not sure *if* i survived.
I grow up in a place where a summer temperatures was not higher than 76F , no humid and mosquitoes never bite lol No AC or fans was needed .
But the first thing I purchased from my first check when I came to East Coast was AC .

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
Better than "out west" though. In BC the heat is trumping COVID. Saw this morning that BC is dropping mask mandates due to the difficulty in breathing due to their heat and humidity the next week. Supposed to break Country wide records. They are in the 40's+ for the next while. BTW, I'm not far from you actually. T.O.
My sister is living in BC , I saw the news this morning , some places even to 111F same for Northwest US , breaking records , for people that are not used to it is a big deal , especially as half population don't own AC in the region , 3 digits temperatures and humid are dangerous no matter where you are.

Last edited:

eclark1894

Visionary
My sister is living in BC , I saw the news this morning , some places even to 111F same for Northwest US , breaking records , for people that are not used to it is a big deal , especially as half population don't own AC in the region , 3 digits temperatures and humid are dangerous no matter where you are.
When I was a kid, there wasn't (as far as I knew) any air conditioning for the home. We all used fans. But the stores were all cool so we went there, or we went to the park and went swimming. The other place we went... the movie theaters. It was always cool in there. :)

MEC4D

Contributing Artist
When I was a kid, there wasn't (as far as I knew) any air conditioning for the home. We all used fans. But the stores were all cool so we went there, or we went to the park and went swimming. The other place we went... the movie theaters. It was always cool in there. :)
I lot of people I know still doing it , my neighbor do not put AC on until it is 95F .. $25 too much money for them , greediness on their best since they are not poor .
in the 70's we spent playing all day in a temperatures outside of -36C / -32.8 F , nobody can make us stay home .
As I said before, when you grow up with weather like that it is different for you than for those that are not used to it .

I always wondered how people handled the weather in NY back in times , when you look at the summer pictures of people dressed from toes to the top of their heads in layered dresses and suits .. was the climate different ? was colder as it is now ? how they managed it , as from the old movies or pictures it don't looks as it bothered them much at all . From what I read it was 6.1° and 5.4° colder on average than it is now .

eclark1894

Visionary
I lot of people I know still doing it , my neighbor do not put AC on until it is 95F .. $25 too much money for them , greediness on their best since they are not poor .
in the 70's we spent playing all day in a temperatures outside of -36C / -32.8 F , nobody can make us stay home .
As I said before, when you grow up with weather like that it is different for you than for those that are not used to it .

I always wondered how people handled the weather in NY back in times , when you look at the summer pictures of people dressed from toes to the top of their heads in layered dresses and suits .. was the climate different ? was colder as it is now ? how they managed it , as from the old movies or pictures it don't looks as it bothered them much at all . From what I read it was 6.1° and 5.4° colder on average than it is now .
I just remembered something else. When I was a kid, my mom always made us stay outside when it was hot. (Not all day of course, but it was still hot out there. So, to cope, we stayed in the shade a lot. It was easy for me growing up because there were always some woods and trees close by that we could go play Tarzan in. Or, one of the things I and my nephews liked to do was go play in the creek. In my old neighborhood ( and when I was much smaller and younger) we could actually go swimming there. As i grew up and older, we'd go find other creeks and walk around in the water. It kept us amazingly cool.:)

DanaTA

Distinguished
One thing I read in Scientific Amarican years ago is that as children, we have a built in mechanism that keeps us warm. But, when parents keep making us bundle up in the winter, eventually it kills that mechanism, then we need to bundle up. I see kids running around in the snow and playing and taking off their coats because they get hot, and the parents always make them put it back on.

But, in general, we can conditions ourselves, to a certain extent, to the temperatures and thus can better tolerate the extra cold. But if we start wearing layers too soon, we condition ourselves to be used to being warmer. Then, when it's really colder, we need even more layers, because we're used to being covered up at higher temperatures. I think that it's possible to be the same in the other direction. We start removing layers too soon, and we can't take it when it gets even warmer.

That said, I'd still rather sweat than freeze! I find I hate the cold more each year.

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
One thing I read in Scientific Amarican years ago is that as children, we have a built in mechanism that keeps us warm. But, when parents keep making us bundle up in the winter, eventually it kills that mechanism, then we need to bundle up. I see kids running around in the snow and playing and taking off their coats because they get hot, and the parents always make them put it back on.

Dana
Maybe that explains why kids are always forgetting their coats and gloves at school or on the playground. :sneaky:

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
That said, I'd still rather sweat than freeze! I find I hate the cold more each year.

Dana

And I'm the exact opposite. I'll take cold over heat any day. Of course, our area USUALLY doesn't get too extreme on either end.

theschell

Brilliant
A fellow canuck, don't see too many of us around very often in the 3D community... I used to work in TO years ago! Yeah... saw about the heat wave out in BC on the news... not good... but we aren't too far below that ourselves which seriously sucks!

I remember a couple of summers just in the past few years where we were actually hotter here in Ontario than it was in Florida, Arizona, and points further south... we're further north and shouldn't be hitting those kinds of temps but we had heat waves of over 115f with the humidity!

Last edited:

Stezza

Dances with Bees
This morning it’s 12°c ( 54°f ) and I’m just sitting here in my cotton jammies watching the morning news on the latest COVID updates.
No heating or AC is on and it’s quite pleasant, if it was breezy from the south it would be different, the temps would be the same but the wind chill brings it down and really goes through you. Then the heating would be on.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
And I'm the exact opposite. I'll take cold over heat any day. Of course, our area USUALLY doesn't get too extreme on either end.
I'm like you Alisa. As much as I dislike really cold days (and nights even more so), I can bundle up and keep warm, but in the summer, there's nothing I could do to stay cool except never leave the house, and that's just not possible.

I happen to prefer the cool/cold days better because the air is fresher, and cleaner, compared to the air out there right now. :(

Terre

Renowned

But, in general, we can conditions ourselves, to a certain extent, to the temperatures and thus can better tolerate the extra cold. But if we start wearing layers too soon, we condition ourselves to be used to being warmer. Then, when it's really colder, we need even more layers, because we're used to being covered up at higher temperatures. I think that it's possible to be the same in the other direction. We start removing layers too soon, and we can't take it when it gets even warmer.

Dana
Interesting. It does explain what Earl mentions soon after this post of yours.

We are under a flash flood warning. Apparently the light rain we had when I got off work is part of several assorted systems including a possible strong t-storm that could dump a total of 1-2 inches of rain on us.

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
eek - hope it doesn't flood, Terre.

It hit 104 in Seattle today, the highest EVER recorded. And, it was the first time there were ever 2 days in a row at 100+ (which will be 3 days tomorrow, which is the predicted hottest of the 3 day "heat dome" event out here. 108 in Portland Oregon (another record breaker). Fortunately, my area wasn't as hot, apparently it got to about 95....which makes sense as we're typically about 10 degrees cooler in the summer and 10 degrees warmer in the winter than Seattle.

YIKES!

AnimaGemini

Living in the clouds
Contributing Artist
That's the weather I like in summer , the spring this year was too short for me , I did not enjoyed much outdoors again and right now I do not go anywhere until it drop down again .
There is no real spring and fall anymore. Seasons are caused from Earth axis tilt. Currently the earth axis is changing again. Pole flip. Pole Reversal Happens All The (Geologic) Time
This is why there is no real seasons anymore.

unreal

Noteworthy
it's a bit cold down south where we are not locked down but restricted to wearing masks... which I don't have any as we've not needed them throughout this pandemic, so I can't go out as you have to wear one if you do go out.... o_O

and ... we have toilet paper :cool:

View attachment 70035
TP + running water + 4 walls and a non-leaking roof. Aces!

I read that some people in Victoria don't have that ever important middle thing. And no-one in Sydney has that last thing.

unreal

Noteworthy
There is no real spring and fall anymore. Seasons are caused from Earth axis tilt. Currently the earth axis is changing again. Pole flip. Pole Reversal Happens All The (Geologic) Time
This is why there is no real seasons anymore.
SF always had no seasons. Four of them. sun1, fog, sun2, rain. The extent of fog and rain seasons literally depended on which block you lived. (fog and rain roughly corresponded to summer and winter in the rest of the hemisphere)