• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Wolf's Den... Outside of 3D

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I learned to crochet when I was about 9 or 10, though only around handkerchiefs. I learned to knit about a year later, and my crocheting moved to wool, as the thin thread needed for the hankies just wasn't for me.

At one time, years ago, I used to crochet, knit, macrame, needlepoint, and even hooked a large rug that hangs over my couch. Sewing I didn't try until my senior year in High School, as it was required, and did some off and on over the years, but now-a-days I don't do any crafting. I'd rather sit and read a book to relax.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Quilting and sewing are things I'm trying to learn, as well. I am more enthusiastic with them than knitting, but I see the knitting as necessary as well, because there are just some things that you need the tighter stitches of a knit fabric for.

My Bear's grandmother did a lot of quilting and sewing. She was just starting to teach me when she died, though, so I was never taught a lot. Which... is why I'm having to self-teach now. My mother was a late-1950's baby, taught by her mother to sew. But she hated it so much that she never taught us how to do it.

She also never passed down the process of canning, either, because she thought it was outdated and no longer needed. Recently, she admitted that she now wishes she had taught us... and was surprised to find out that I had already learned how to do that.

The amount of basic life skills that were not passed to my generation by their parents, at least in the U.S. is a little staggering. It's good that some are seeking out how to do them again, though. I don't think things like this should be allowed to be lost, no matter what technology can or can't do. There is always a chance for those skills to be needed at some point. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I used to teach needle turn applique and I've done courses on handstitched and machine stitched quilts. Made a few of both. So if you get stuck give me a yell and if I can I'll help.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I used to teach needle turn applique and I've done courses on handstitched and machine stitched quilts. Made a few of both. So if you get stuck give me a yell and if I can I'll help.

Thanks, Pen. I will remember that. :) If I have questions, I'll holler. You might even hear it across the pond. LOL!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Our neighbor had a willow tree felled in the recent wind storm. My Bear went over to help him clean it up.

And look what he brought home!! I must be the only woman in this area who a man brings home willow branches as a peace offering, and it's actually the right choice to make!

"Are you still mad at me? I done effed up, I'm sorry. Please don't kill me. Here, I brought you medicine." :roflmao:

Willow Bark 01.jpg

This is how you know you're married to a healer... don't waste my time with chocolate or roses, bring me medicine on the other hand...

I will do something with the willow branches, too. I just haven't decided what yet. Maybe at least one flute... I always did love the color of the wood underneath the bark on willow trees. At least the weeping willows in our area; it's just this very bright, gorgeous creamy almost-white color.

Willow Bark 02.jpg

I still feel bad for the poor tree. But at least it won't be wasted, and wind storms do have a tendency to bring trees down. Medicine, cordage, maybe a flute or two, some poles, once cut, to support tomatoes and climbers in my garden, some other things... it will all go to use somehow. LOL

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
That's truly the best kind of peace offering but I'd still expect the chocolate! lmao

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
My panties have been in a twist for a very long time! (changed up the line from Steel Magnolia's, Weezies line.... love Shirley MacLane)

Carey

Extraordinary
Yeah, I can't stop. LOL. Doesn't matter what it is, or what time of year, I've always got something going. Drives my Bear absolutely crazy!

The scrunchies I think will see use. Long hair is common out there. My own hair goes to my hips, and so does my daughter's. But mine is thick enough that I make MUCH thicker scrunchies for myself. Here's one that I made months ago for my own use :

View attachment 16510

Anything smaller than this, and my hair will break it. As in the yarn will rip apart in the process of being stretched around my hair. :laugh: I used a much thicker yarn on this one, as well. The scrunchies in the last post were done with thinner, more decorative (glittery) yarn. I wouldn't be caught dead in glitter, though... I prefer earth tones. ;)
I need something like this made for my cockatoo as Casper plucks, he has one now but it is wearing out, my sister made it but she has the same problem with her hands as I do...

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I need something like this made for my cockatoo as Casper plucks, he has one now but it is wearing out, my sister made it but she has the same problem with her hands as I do...

@Carey - Not sure what you're talking about? I could probably make you something, these are very quick to do. But I'm not sure how a bird would use a scrunchie? Can you give me a bit better idea of what you're after? I think I'm missing something in translation here. :)