• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED The "Scatter Tool" plugin for Poser

Rhia474

I purchased this and I consistently encounter a Python error in poser 11.3:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Scatter Tool.py", line 2, in <module>
WxScatterGUI.execute()
File "H:\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\WxScatterGUI.py", line 404, in execute
File "H:\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\WxScatterGUI.py", line 198, in __init__
File "H:\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\Scatter.py", line 64, in __init__
File "H:\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\AlignToSurface.py", line 22, in __init__
File "H:\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\AlignToSurface.py", line 28, in resetScatterPlane
File "H:\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\AlignToSurface.py", line 25, in getActor
poser.error: Named actor could not be found

Is this only useable if I have the Construct on the scene? I do not use it. If it is, I have to return it as I have no use for it in that case.

Rhia474

Furthermore, I receive this error when I try to select anything on my scene (already populated with an envirosphere and a ton of props:

File "H:\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\WxScatterGUI.py", line 334, in onListBoxClick
File "H:\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\WxScatterGUI.py", line 321, in checkDeletedObjects
AttributeError: 'ScatterToolGUI' object has no attribute 'scatter'

THat H: drive is a puzzle because I do NOT have a H: drive.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Is this only useable if I have the Construct on the scene? I do not use it. If it is, I have to return it as I have no use for it in that case.

Hi Rhia, I am sorry you are encountering this issue. Personally, I don't use the Construct either - so much that you won't see it in any of my video tutorials. The only requirement is that your Poser scene has a default ground plane, which is named "GROUND" by default. I am not sure if it is possible to create a scene without it, but the error message seems to indicate that's what is happening. It's hard for me to tell without a closer look.

Furthermore, I receive this error when I try to select anything on my scene (already populated with an envirosphere and a ton of props:

File "H:\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\WxScatterGUI.py", line 334, in onListBoxClick
File "H:\Poser 11\Runtime\Python\poserScripts\ScriptsMenu\Ken1171\Scatter Tool\Classes\WxScatterGUI.py", line 321, in checkDeletedObjects
AttributeError: 'ScatterToolGUI' object has no attribute 'scatter'

THat H: drive is a puzzle because I do NOT have a H: drive.

Don't worry, Poser will (for some mysterious reason) show oddball drive names in error messages that are unrelated to the actual script. Those tend to be quite misleading, but the actual useful information is on the part that follows it. It says it couldn't create the interface because something happened during initialization. I am guessing here, but it seems like the default "GROUND" plane or construct is missing in your scene, and it's a requirement. That's the best I can tell without a closer look.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Wishlisted for now - until I have a machine that runs P11. Hopefully soon... very much want to play with this.

caisson

Admirable
Contributing Artist
Very quick test. Now I want to make new props :D

sc_test1-ed.jpg

Bwldrd

Admirable
Liking it so far, but I do have a nitpicking point..
Is it possible to have it scatter on figures and not just props? I was hoping would be able to use it with items like terra-dome / terra-dome 2. But it only recognizes props as objects to be scattered on.

Karina

Just convert your terra-dome_x to a prop.

D3D "had" a great >freebie script< to do this with a single click: "Figure2Prop"
Unfortunately I can't find a working link any longer.
Looks like his heirs switched off most of his web site' content :-(

However, you still have the option to export the figure as an .obj file (select all body parts for export) *1, and then re-import that same .obj file, which will turn it into a prop after loading.
It's a bit more challenging and takes some time, but it can be done!

K

Footnote *1:
Poser 11 and later only.

Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@Ken1171
Having fun with this but are there any plans to be able to use a scatter map as well?

Yes, I want to add that, too. It's just a matter of time. ^^

Poser need more cool addons /plugins/ scripts. Magnifique Ken.

Thank you! I totally agree. ^^

@Ken1171
Is Octane suported for this tool?

Yes, definitely. Just remember to adjust the materials before scattering. :)

Liking it so far, but I do have a nitpicking point..
Is it possible to have it scatter on figures and not just props? I was hoping would be able to use it with items like terra-dome / terra-dome 2. But it only recognizes props as objects to be scattered on.

Oh but that's super EASY to handle! Below is a test render in Terradome2 I did in just a minute, scattering a hundred cubes over the terrain, complete with surface alignment. Here's how you do it, and you do it all without leaving Poser using what it already has.

1. Load Terradome2.
2. Open the Hierarchy Editor (CTRL+SHIFT+E)
3. From Terradome2, select the "AZone" part.
4. Open the Grouping Tool, and click "Create Prop", and make sure "AZone" is selected beforehand. Give the prop a name.
5. In the Hierarchy Editor, make "AZone" invisible.
6. Now scatter over the new prop you have created. It replaces the "AZone" from Terradome, and even inherits the materials automatically! Easy!

If you want to customize the AZone, just do it beforehand, and you're ready to go! :D

TerraDome.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Just convert your terra-dome_x to a prop.
D3D "had" a great >freebie script< to do this with a single click: "Figure2Prop"

Exactly! But we don't need that script because we can do it straight from Poser. Just select the actor you want to convert to prop, open the Grouping Tool, and click "Create Prop". The resulting prop automatically inherits all materials and morphs, so it couldn't be easier. ^___^

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Now that I had the tool submitted, I have more time to work on tutorials, so here's the first one. In this video, I am demonstrating how to create a billboard tree out of a 3D tree with a single render, and then populate a whole forest using the Scatter Tool - all this in less than 10 minutes without ever leaving Poser.

With this, you will have a first demo of how quick and easy it is to create complex scenes with the Scatter Tool in seconds.

This looks very promising. Not sure what I'd use it for but I like what you've done here! It's in my cart!

I also really like how you have your UI for Poser set up. Where do you access your library from? Do you have a UI template that I could load to see if this work flow would work for me?

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
By the way is there a way to tell the script to not populate in certain areas? Like what if you have a cabin in the woods but you have the ground plane for the scattering. Will the scattering just scatter all inside the cabin as well?