• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED The "Scatter Tool" plugin for Poser

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
For today's update, I have added a new feature, where It can now recover scatter object tracking if closed and opened again. This happens automatically whenever the tool is launched. It checks if there are scattered objects on scene, and recovers the tracking data straight from it. Now nothing is lost when the tool is closed. The tracking data is dynamically rebuilt next time the tool is launched.

This also means it is no longer possible to place objects on top of existing ones. I might add new buttons to the interface to allow disabling/enabling tracking for when you may want to overlap newly scattered objects over existing ones without having to close the tool, since closing will no longer loose tracking. The first release will not have this feature, but it will be made available as an update later on, along with updated documentation.

Another cool feature I have been working on is volumetric scattering. This means not scattering over a surface, but instead inside of it, in 3D space. It works inside a bounding box we can resize to any dimensions, and the objects will scatter inside of it, filling up the available space. Smaller objects will fit in larger numbers inside the bounding box, and we can apply all the existing variations, plus a new "jitter" slider control that randomizes the 3D position.

Volumetric scattering will require yet more controls on the interface, and an updated documentation. Whenever you select this mode, the selected scatter object must be 3D (cannot be a plane), and it will turn transparent, so we can see the objects scattered inside of it. I haven't decided this yet, but I think this mode should automatically add the scatter bounding box to the scene. That is, the tool will create it automatically.

As we resize the bounding box in this mode, and press the scatter button, the objects will update inside of the volume. If you make it bigger, more will fit inside, and vice-versa. If we make the scatter objects smaller, more will fit inside the bounding box as well. There will be an "offset" slider that controls the distance between the scattered objects, so if we make it larger, less objects will fit inside the volume. This, combined with variations and jitter will allow for a diversified range of results.

Again, this will be released as an update later on.

Here's an example of volumetric scattering of spheres inside the bounding box, with some jitter applied. This is the max number of spheres that can fit inside the volume with the current size and parameters. When integrated with the tool, we will be able to control how many objects we want to scatter, and they will show at random places inside the volume.

BoundingBox_spheres.jpg

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I want this tool so much... I really need to get clear of my current financial issues and get a system that will handle P11.
You have made amazing progress Ken since this idea first started, such a very sort time ago.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Oh yes, this will require Poser 11. Older versions have become abandon-ware, since they are no longer supported by anyone. I love Poser 10, but it has no PBR, and the rigging tools are badly broken, so it's a lost cause. Rendo has lowered the price, and is offering Poser 11 Pro to everyone. :)

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Oh yes, this will require Poser 11. Older versions have become abandon-ware, since they are no longer supported by anyone. I love Poser 10, but it has no PBR, and the rigging tools are badly broken, so it's a lost cause. Rendo has lowered the price, and is offering Poser 11 Pro to everyone. :)
For me the issue is having a workstation to run it. My Workstation is Win XP64 and can't run P11 (Yes it's an old system). While this laptop is Win 7 it was not intended for use as a graphic system and is light on power, memory, and storage - and is over 10 years old itself. With Win 7 at end of life, that is also a problem. While I have some funding toward a newer system, it's still a little ways away... and I need to finish tying up my move and my Fathers estate before I have any hope of things returning to reasonably normal for me. Actually, I need to tie things up by August or, well... no need to get into it now. Once these "Quarantines" end and I can get back home I can sell off more collectibles for my Workstation - so maybe next month?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
For me the issue is having a workstation to run it.

I know what you mean. My hardware is 5 generations behind the current, but it can still do the job quite well. When it comes to rendering, my GPU is 3 generations behind, but again, I can still render quite well with Superfly. I suppose Poser is not very demanding, unless you are on Windows XP or on a laptop with power and thermal limitations. I have actually killed an older HP laptop by trying to 3D render on it. Those little boxes were not meant to handle this kind of processing. The overheating can reduce their lifespan, and eventually kill the components for lack of better cooling.

I am running on an 18 years old 17" square monitor, and I can't wait for things to resume normal activities, so commission jobs start popping up again and I can get a better display, at least 1080p. My 15 years old keyboard has failing keys, and needs a replacement as well. But I guess all that will have to wait until this CCP virus thing goes away. We have to be patient. :)

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I am a little confused and reding this long thread was a bit dauiting on my littlescree soI ask what is the difference between instancing and what this tool does? Are the extra versions of a prop duplicated and scattered add data that needs to be rendered like adding multiple HR items to a set and straining the renderer/system you are working with?

Karina

@Miss B:
How about a nice little hotlink , so people don't have to wade through hundreds of unrelated product pages and annoying ads?
I'm on a pay-per volume connection, so every page I need to load costs me real money...
No offense meant!
But with today's flat rates some seem to forget that others are not so lucky, for various reasons.

K

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Yay, the Scatter Tool has passed QAV and is now on the store. You can find it HERE or click the image below to go straight to the store page. :)

Make sure to watch all the video tutorials to see the tool in action with real examples, hints and best practices! ^____^

Last edited:

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am a little confused and reding this long thread was a bit dauiting on my littlescree soI ask what is the difference between instancing and what this tool does? Are the extra versions of a prop duplicated and scattered add data that needs to be rendered like adding multiple HR items to a set and straining the renderer/system you are working with?

The tool makes use of Poser's ability of instantiating geometry and textures, which on its turn, only works if there is no embedded geometry. As long as geometry is linked (instead of embedded), Poser should be able to save substantial amounts of memory when objects are duplicated. That subject has been extensively discussed at its own thread, which has contributed to the making of this tool. In other words, without instancing, we wouldn't be able to do what this tool does in Poser.

As for what the tool does, you can check the included video tutorials where I demonstrate basically every aspect of the creation process. In this thread, I have also explored a wide variety of usages, so you can see examples of where and how it can be used in your scenes. :)