• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Haha....hey Terre :) The first image in the last post is the animated .gif, and the second image was a still shot, so that you'd be able to see that Garfield has jumped on the back of the drone. The .gif was so fast, I didn't think anyone would be able to tell what happened.

In this one, Andy does a quick turn around, and slows down, giving Garfield a chance to get off....but his terrified passenger stays on....so.... a--wayyy they go :) Haha.

ANDY POSER DRONE - GARFIELD TURN.gif

ladyfur

Eager
It's probably something they put in the webpage...like a directive, maybe...that tells the browser to use that if it supports it. They always show as jpg for me in Edge. But only as webp in Chrome.

I don't know about this digest you speak of. I'm talking about the actual promo images on the website, on the product pages. Whenever I buy something (including freebies), I always save the promo images in a special folder, so I can look in them for ideas of what to use when I'm planning a render. I have them all saved by category. It makes it really easy to see what I have. I do this for what I buy no matter from what site...DAZ3D, Renderosity, Hivewire3D...where ever. It helps a lot.

At any rate, webp is a new standard on the web. Perhaps they use that in the newsletters or that digest you're talking about, because they supposedly have smaller file sizes without losing quality. And, as a standard, most browsers probably can display them. Unlike me, most people seem to use webmail. I still use Outlook for my main email address. Anyway, that's just a guess.

Dana

hi, dana. i did a test. first off a digest is an emailed newsletter. second, i tried to save a webp promo pic from the latest daz email that came today as an all files renamed as jpg and i got this.
'Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/home/sillhouette/Downloads/new-06.jpg'

so linux cannot even open this stupid file type, only chrome's browser can see it.

we've used the email boxes on our domain since 2001. fact is this webp format is not just being used on the emails. if you go to daz pages that is what they are using on them now for all of the new product pics. i didn't browse all of daz. i'm glad i don't render. i was just warning people.

DanaTA

Distinguished
hi, dana. i did a test. first off a digest is an emailed newsletter. second, i tried to save a webp promo pic from the latest daz email that came today as an all files renamed as jpg and i got this.
'Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/home/sillhouette/Downloads/new-06.jpg'

so linux cannot even open this stupid file type, only chrome's browser can see it.

we've used the email boxes on our domain since 2001. fact is this webp format is not just being used on the emails. if you go to daz pages that is what they are using on them now for all of the new product pics. i didn't browse all of daz. i'm glad i don't render. i was just warning people.

No, they are still using jpg on the store. Chrome just won't let you see it. Here is the Save Picture As... dialog for LA Pool, in Edge. It's at the top of the page, newest product. I did not use the drop-down to select a different file type.

Dana

Attachments

• la-pool-and-hdri-02-daz3d.jpg
    la-pool-and-hdri-02-daz3d.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 170

ladyfur

Eager
No, they are still using jpg on the store. Chrome just won't let you see it. Here is the Save Picture As... dialog for LA Pool, in Edge. It's at the top of the page, newest product. I did not use the drop-down to select a different file type.

Dana
edge is not for linux so i wouldn't see that.

skylab

Esteemed
Very nice Linda B :) I share Ladyfur's love for purple too.

Found the animation below left over in my recent renders. Sometimes I'd complete a scene, and immediately get another idea, so I'd move on quickly to the next project, without posting the last one. The general theme was Andy going across the country, and then even briefly into space, to spread the good news about the new Poser release. When he starts out, it's daylight, and by the time he returns, it's evening....and having completed his mission, with the help of Poser scaling and a little imagination, he returns home through a window and slips back into the Poser DVD, where he's able to return to the Poser 11 runtime.

Giving credit where it is due, AntFarm's Hollywoods helped with the west coast part of the trip, and the $5 sale helped a lot...as did the Platinum Club benefit also on Valandar's DVDs and Stands which allowed for a detailed recreation of the Poser 11 DVD. The Lost in Space stuff was from Rendo and the B9 robot was an oldie from Xcalpro. Also in the space scenes were coflek-gnorg's Observers. Andy's vehicle was Mausel's Automatic Drohne, and his traveling companions near the end of the journey were two oldies, The Flyer (the bug) that used to be at Rendo, and Lazy Kitty (Garfield) by Neftis. Also, Toffanello's Volkswagen Beetle and Mausel's Caravan and Car were used in several animations. The project was lots of fun, and I learned way more than I thought would be possible.

Here's the left over animation, and one last reminder to watch the forum at Rendo for information about the Poser 11.2 update.

RENDO SIGN ON MOUNTAIN.gif

Last edited:

ladyfur

Eager
Very nice Linda B :) I share Ladyfur's love for purple too.

Found the animation below left over in my recent renders. Sometimes I'd complete a scene, and immediately get another idea, so I'd move on quickly to the next project, without posting the last one. The general theme was Andy going across the country, and then even briefly into space, to spread the good news about the new Poser release. When he starts out, it's daylight, and by the time he returns, it's evening....and having completed his mission, with the help of Poser scaling and a little imagination, he returns home through a window and slips back into the Poser DVD, where he's able to return to the Poser 11 runtime.

Giving credit where it is due, AntFarm's Hollywoods helped with the west coast part of the trip, and the $5 sale helped a lot...as did the Platinum Club benefit also on Valandar's DVDs and Stands which allowed for a detailed recreation of the Poser 11 DVD. The Lost in Space stuff was from Rendo and the B9 robot was an oldie from Xcalpro. Also in the space scenes were coflek-gnorg's Observers. Andy's vehicle was Mausel's Automatic Drohne, and his traveling companions near the end of the journey were two oldies, The Flyer (the bug) that used to be at Rendo, and Lazy Kitty (Garfield) by Neftis. Also, Toffanello's Volkswagen Beetle and Mausel's Caravan and Car were used in several animations. The project was lots of fun, and I learned way more than I thought would be possible.

Here's the left over animation, and one last reminder to watch the forum at Rendo for information about the Poser 11.2 update.

View attachment 50583
great job on all that, sky. those could be put on an html page in order and the story would be in one place. ;) garfield came from neftis? neat.

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks Ladyfur :) I'd planned on creating a page on my website of the animations in order. I'm still getting occasional ideas, so I may not be done with the story yet...haha. Obviously it would benefit me to learn the art of storyboarding, but my ideas don't usually come in perfect sequence. Sometimes I just wake up with a funny idea, and pursue it. And in the case of this project, getting an idea and carrying it through to the end was launching entirely into the unknown, since I've never tried anything other than the fundamentals of looping animations. So, I learned a great deal while pursuing the humor. If anyone had ever told me that I'd make a drone fly through a window and disappear into a DVD box, I would have said "cute....but I don't think so". Having completed what I've done so far, I think having a good story...or at least an absurdly entertaining one, is just as important as the technical skills of animation.

And regarding my website, I try to archive everything there, where it will be safe from hard drive issues. And yes, back in 2007, Lazy Kitty was on Neftis' website, as this Neftis Rendo Showcase article from 2004 indicates. I think it's neat that I'm finally getting a chance to use all the cool stuff that I had collected over the years, even the oldies :)

:drawing:

Last edited: