• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
While I was working on the first pose for this set, I thought of your grieving poses...it really takes work to communicate that...it's not easy, and I noticed you have a whole series of those...I think they are called despair.

Yes, the Despair series... *nods* I think I covered everything from Apollo to the Girl 3 right up to Genesis 1 there. I never did any G2's or G3 versions of those, though... I really don't use the figures much and have zero interest in doing a bunch of poses for them. I might at some point down the road do it...

I did start a dead/death series for use in scenes where someone needs like scattered corpses around the scene. But I only ever did the Vicky 3 set and never really got around to doing the others. I might re-address those later at some point.. heh

skylab

Esteemed
It seemed the cloth got confused by a rock that was nearby...it tried to stick to the rock instead of continuing to "shrink wrap" to the figure.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It seemed the cloth got confused by a rock that was nearby...it tried to stick to the rock instead of continuing to "shrink wrap" to the figure.

Does Poser have a way to let you specify what things the cloth is supposed to collide with? I know in DS, I can choose what items in the scene the cloth is supposed to collide with during the sim - and that helps immensely...

skylab

Esteemed
You, you check the boxes for the body parts that apply, which in this case is everything but the head and fingers...but Steve's video didn't address other things in the scene...so I'm supposed to check the rock too....so that's what happened, it got confused by the rock, or more like a large stone that he will lean upon later, after I do this pose. Have to get past the clothing sim on this one before I can tackle that. I'll try checking the rock this time.

skylab

Esteemed
Started the second sim...I noticed it didn't stall this time while beginning the sim, so maybe it will work this time...I added the rock and the ground plane in collide against.

skylab

Esteemed
Here's the rock I'm trying to get around...took screen cap in case it crashes again.

geth test.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Well, the robe pretty much looks like the above...so the sim is still failing. I think I'll try a different robe, that's not so full.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes Sky, to confirm, you need to check EVERYTHING, the robe might come in contact with, including the ground and rock. I don't see anything else in the scene it would collide with, so not sure why it isn't laying nicely on the back of his legs, though it's definitely stuck on something. I can see it stretching down his front.

What pose is he in at the start of the sim? I usually start with the T-Pose in the first frame, and the final pose in the last frame. Also how many frames are you using? By default Poser sets up 30 frames so maybe you need more frames to get it to settle correctly.

I was working on a sim this evening where one of Dawn's arms bent towards her chest from the T-Pose, instead of just lowering to the final pose, as the other arm did. Was strange, but I went through the sim frame by frame and about every 5 or 10 frames I reset her forearm bend back to 0. The dress, which has long sleeves, finally simmed properly at 60 frames. Check it out frame by frame, and see where the problem happens, and if you can fix it.

skylab

Esteemed
I learned from Steve Shank's video that went with the Biblical Merchant robe that he released for Apollo, and in it he demonstrates zero pose at frame 1, with target pose applied at frame 15, and then for the remaining 15 frames it seems to do the final "settling down" until frame 30. I've not done this enough to learn the process of "adjusting" the sim as you've described. Good to know there's more to learn on this, because something definitely had a hold on the robe in the first sim. Then I checked the rock, the grass on the rock, and the ground, and still got the same results during the second sim.

I'm trying the sim with RDNA's free robe, the one I used in the PDF demonstration, and it seems to be working properly. I have a couple options from Poserworld too, so will try to run those. I had in mind to use something that would have nice folds. The RDNA robe works, but lacks the fullness.

geth test2.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes pulling the rock away seems to have helped, and a fuller robe won't look so wrinkled at the knees or on the sleeves.

It takes practice. I few months ago I had never worked with dynamic clothes, so it was definitely trial and error with a tutorial sitting in front of me. Now it's gotten so I can more or less figure out where I have to check to do something to fix it.

Edited to Add: The fun part is trying to sim a piece of clothing when the character is lying down on the ground. That was fun . . . . NOT!!

skylab

Esteemed
That's the problem for me mostly, it's a process that I only used on a couple clothing items, and now I'm branching out into stuff for M4, and hitting a snag. But the snags are our best teachers :)

I'm trying a third sim with a biblical robe from Poserworld, so we'll see how that turns out. It has the potential to have better folds, if it will work properly. I'm not crazy about how sim 2 with the RDNA robe ended up so bunched up at the sleeves.

skylab

Esteemed
Okay, I'm seeing a similar thing happening, and the common factor is, both robe 1 and robe 3 have gathered waists, they are not just a straight robe like the RDNA robe. Sim 3 is showing the same pulling and stretching.

geth test3.jpg

geth test3b.jpg

Last edited:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Sky, just out of curiosity - does the rock dip BELOW the ground plane? Maybe there's some piece of the rock below the ground that the cloth is trying to interact with?

Miss B

CV-BEE
Also, now that you mention a gathered waist, it might need constraining. Unfortunately, I know what it is, but haven't done it myself. I know Sanbie has done it, and Satira has done it, so maybe they can give you some pointers.

Constraining will keep the waist at his waist so that it doesn't interact with anything else. It might even keep the top of the robe in place, so that the only thing that flares is the skirt part below the gathered waist.

That's about all I can think of that might help.

skylab

Esteemed
Came back on because I'm still sitting here at the workstation, trying to solve the robe sim issue. I am familiar with constraining...Steve mentions it in the context of getting a belt to stay in place that goes with the robe...but it does involve selecting the belt, separate from the robe. In these cases the gathered waist is a part of the robe...it may well be the answer, but I'm not sure how to go about isolating a particular portion of the robe to make it hold still and behave, while the rest continues to flow downward. I think you may have the answer Miss B :)

And Seliah, another good point about the rock...can't say for sure, but I'll check under the ground plane to make sure that no part of it is penetrating the ground plane.

So far every robe I've tried has got some issue...disappointing, I was thinking I had plenty dynamics to choose from. I think the gathered waist robes would work fine for a standing position...these poses will be somewhat extreme.

skylab

Esteemed
Unless it messes up on the final lap of the sim, it looks like the free dynamic robe for M4 by Bionic Rooster is going to end up being the best for the project. Also, the free M4 Galabia from RDNA will work, it's just a little bunchy in the sleeves, but I don't know how long that robe will be available.

skylab

Esteemed
Well, I guess I spoke too soon on that...the right shoulder messed up on the free robe from Rendo. I think that's enough for tonight...haha...I'll try again tomorrow...good night all :)

geth test4.jpg