• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
It's always nice when that happens :) That's how it was when the plumber came last week. We had three relatively small jobs, and it was incredible how fast he worked. With plumbing you always expect the worse, but it went really well.

Errands are done for the day, so I'm back to working on pose projects.

I had some weird stuff happen when I tried to save the Dusk LS scene in DS...when I reopened it everything had sort of "exploded". It ccould have had to do with the OBJ files used in the scene, but so far it's the only scene that has done that. After seeing that, I'm tending to prefer waiting for Seliah's Poser version character, as I'm having good success loading and saving Poser scenes and importing them into DS as a workaround for issues.

I have no idea what I'm going to face when I attempt to import the Apollo set into DS. I felt certain I could do a Poser set, but will have to see about a DS conversion because of Apollo being an older model.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Sky, I regularly still work with Vicky/Mike 2's and Vicky/Mike 3's in DS 4.8; Apollo dates from around the middle of the V3/M3 lifespan, so I don't think he would be too much trouble inside of DS.

Heck, who am I kidding? I pull in the old P4 male/female at times, too! No problems there either.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Seliah :) Thanks for the tip, that's good to know, because most of the requests that I get are for the older models, and I am enjoying switch hitting to DS some :)

Terre, I've discovered an interesting piece of trivia while working so closely with the LS painting. The figure representing Peter has a knife in his right hand, almost a touch of humor, since he later is involved in the incident with one of the guards during the arrest :)

LS Peter.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
There is one thing that I definitely prefer in Poser...you can select a body part by simply clicking on it, which saves a bundle of time. In DS, if I'm understanding it correctly, body parts have to be selected from the left hand side scene tree...which gets tricky to see when you get down to finger joints and such.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
There is one thing that I definitely prefer in Poser...you can select a body part by simply clicking on it, which saves a bundle of time. In DS, if I'm understanding it correctly, body parts have to be selected from the left hand side scene tree...which gets tricky to see when you get down to finger joints and such.

I select body parts by clicking on them all the time in DS. There is an arrow/pointer tool on the interface. Click that, and then you will have an easier time seeing the figure's body parts and selecting smaller ones such as fingers or eyeballs :

upload_2016-2-29_14-59-16.png

The other trick I do, is I will add a "new camera" and name it something like "Posing Camera" (yeah, holdover from my Poser days lol), and then I use that for things like selecting eyeballs or finger segments.

Once the new camera is added, you can zoom rotate etc to your heart's content, and then left click on the body part you're looking at. You do not need a new camera to do this; but when dealing with smaller body parts like fingers, tongue segments, etc, I find it is much easier to have a separate "posing" camera to work with.

Another tip. There is a "box" with a plus sign in the middle of it, in the scene window (to the right side). Once you have clicked on the body part you're wanting to focus on, if you click that box it will "focus" the camera on that part, so the camera rotates around the body part instead of flying around the whole scene in awkward ways.

upload_2016-2-29_15-3-5.png

Hope that helps. :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Afterthought :

I should mention that clicking on body parts is easily done in the scene window with DS. However, if you need to select the body part of a clothing item (or anything that is conformed/fit-to a figure), then THAT needs to be done through the scene hierarchy to the left side, yes.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Gah. And one last thing!

If you look in your SCENE tab at the hierarchy, you'll see there's a little checkmark next to each item's name in the list. If something like a window or wall, etc, is in the way and you can't seem to select what's behind it, you can click that little checkmark. It will turn to an "x" which means it is no longer selectable inside of the scene window. To make it selectable again, just click that "x" and it will return to a checkmark, indicating that the object/body part is selectable once more from the scene window.

upload_2016-2-29_15-9-13.png

Also, if you click the eyeball icon, it will turn off the visibility for that object/body part as well. So if you're trying to get to the figure's face, and the hair is getting in the way, you can click the eye icon in the Scene window on the hair, and then you'll be able to select the face, eyes, etc on the figure's head without the hair getting in the way.

Hope that all helps. ^_^

skylab

Esteemed
Yes, it does help...a lot! Some of it I had discovered through exploring, but what I was missing the most is being able to select the actual body part by clicking on it...I'm just used to working that way, and can work faster that way.

The thing about doing a huge project like the LS painting is, almost every pose is related to the figures on either side, so all posing has to be done with the "big picture" in mind...since there's a flow to the thing. So very little posing can be done independent of the other figures. especially within the groups of threes that I mentioned before. This is unique to this particular project, most of the time this does not apply.

When I complete all these sets and commence with "normal" sets again, it will give me a chance to play with the bells and whistles in DS....and as you've said before, Poser's tools are more visible and accessible, whereas in DS they are sometimes layered and not obviously visible. I have to confess I'm partial to Poser's presentation...the tools as well as the menu along the top. But with some experience I feel certain I can find the options in DS.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
You know, when I first migrated from Poser to DS, the UI in DS 4 drove me nuts. I will admit it was a difficult transition in the beginning. But the more I worked in DS, the more comfortable I got with it, and then I got to really appreciate the layered/tabbed style. And now when I'm in Poser, the Poser UI makes me pull my hair out, because it's so dang CLUTTERED. LOL :D

So, I can totally understand the difficulty adjusting to the interface. The two UIs are very, very different.

As far as the wide screen layouts for something like your Last Supper series... the bulk of the posing has to be done with the scene in view, I know. I do stuff like this all the time for my renders, and I have found that I just get into a habit of working with the "whole scene" for the bulk of the posing, then switching to a posing camera to do the more minute things like hands that are touching another figure's body, or positioning fingers just-so.... then I go back out to the main view with the whole scene to resume the rest of the posing.

Basically, I use the "posing camera" thing in DS to do the fine tuning on small parts of things, and I do the majority of my posing with the "full view" in my scene window. Don't know if that helps you any or not, but that's how my workflow has developed over time with Studio.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hmmm, I've always used the Scene hierarchy list in all my versions of DS, and do the same in the Hierarchy Editor window in Poser. I guess mostly because it's often hard to select small bones, such as one of the finger joints when tweaking hand poses, as eaisly as it is to select say the Hip, or one of the other large bones.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Miss B :) Yes, I've encountered that with clothing or other obstructions, where it's nearly impossible to click on the body part, then I do use the hierarchy to in order to plow through to the part I'm wanting to access. But with a normal, simple project, I would say at least 85% if not more is done by just clicking on what I want...and I zoom the whole scene in while I'm working for optimal viewing. So far, using Poser 11, I've not had any problem doing these huge scenes, nor has there been a single crash. Two weeks ago I couldn't do anything without it crashing. That points to a Windows update eliminating the problem. I was so disgusted with it when it was crashing...that's what prompted me to try working in DS. I haven't had a single crash with these 13 character scenes, and I've been rotating and moving stuff all over the place, the way I like to work. Whatever was wrong, I'm glad it's fixed :)

skylab

Esteemed
That's great...finally taking care of what Goliath did to your roof :)

Well, I'm zipping up the Apollo set and getting ready to upload to ShareCG.