• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Aaah...I updated because iirc there were some major changes to ShaderMixer and other things that I really wanted. I only bought a few Genesis 2 items and then mainly for converting to Dawn.

skylab

Esteemed
Hi everyone :) Just woke from my nap...got a late start at it toay.

Yeah, Seliah, that project was indeed a lot of work. I worked with the subject so long that I almost memorized the positions, so that I did several sets for other figures too. The trick to putting it together, after much study of the painting, is to think of it in groups of threes, outward from the center point...that is, two groups of threes on the left, and two groups of threes on the right of center position. Each group of three is relating to each other somehow, which produces the "flow". It seemed like an impossible task at first, until I "saw" that way of putting it together.

And yes, Terre, it was the largest single project I've ever tackled, and surprisingly has been one of the largest number of downloads on ShareCG. So every now and then I try to do something like this...was hoping to get it ready by Easter...so I made the deadline. Thinking about doing the other Easter set next...may as well get them done now, while my health permits.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Pen, that's it, that's what I was recalling, you were doing a project with ShaderMixer. I knew it was some reason, but I couldn't remember the specifics.

skylab

Esteemed
I just checked ShareCG, since I'm just waking up, to respond to any comments, and to my surprise, when logging out, I noticed it has made the front page slideshow already. It was nice hearing from Mark (Hypnagogia) also, who made all the musical instruments for our various projects too, in the ratings.

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
Miss B, considering that with the Poser vesion I was dealing with a jumpy screen, and at times not being able to rotate the scene...my nerves would get more that a little frayed...haha. So I worked on it awhile, put it away, then work on it some more. The DS4 version was a little easier because I could get to it better, so I feel this version is more closely tweaked than the original...an example being, in figure one, the left hand is shaped almost like a fist, with the right hand open grasping the table. In the Poser version I had to be content to leave the left hand in an open position since it was impossible to draw the pose work in for a close up view. It was one of those compromises that probably was not all that important in the overall flow. Still I regretted it, and wanted the details to be closer to correct, so it was fun this time to address some of those things.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Hey Sky, when I'm tweaking hand poses, I use the LHand and RHand cameras in Poser. DS doesn't have anything like that so I use a second camera, and move it around so I can see the hands, but Poser comes with them already available. That would allow you to get up close and personal to each hand.

Or did you use those, and they still weren't close enough for what you wanted?

skylab

Esteemed
At the time, it seemed if I touched anything that required a different view of the scene, it would go crazy. Originally I had planned to put simple robes on all the figures, but that just wasn't possible, the system resources were maxed out. Believe it or not, I was using an on-screen magnifier, called Virtual Magnifying Glass, for things I just had to see. And, sometimes just seeing it magnified from one angle wasn't adequate for close details, so I'd play it safe with things like hands. I use to wonder what it would be like to have a "real" workstation with a video card that could handle big projects...sigh...oh well, Malwarebytes wiped out my best chance at having that, so I'm back to making do.

I'm looking forward to working with Poser 11 Paul with this scene, because he "feels" lightweight on the screen, though he bends nicely like Roxie. That makes him a great candidate for this project. By the way, I've also started a Dusk set, but at the time I wasn't sure what to do for clothing...13 guys in jeans at a big table, might look more like The Waltons...haha. I knew I had to tread softly in order to not be offensive to some, so thought it was better to take the "statue" approach, than boxer shorts, or worse :) One of the Superfly shaders would work, but it might take the rest of my life to render for a simple promo...haha.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh the different cameras don't affect the pose at all. It just shows you want you want to see. I use the Main and Face cameras the most, but the Right and Left Hand cameras are really great for just this sort of thing.

skylab

Esteemed
I'll try that on the Paul set, since I'm not anticipating as much of a problem with it. Crashing would result when I "pushed it" with the original set, so I saved often and tread softly.

For the Paull set, I was waiting on Poserworld...I thought sure they'd produce some clothing, or perhaps CrossDresser would release a license...but so far nothing. This has been by far the most frustrating release of Poser in terms of support, but I guess folks assume if there's no sale for it, why make it. And yet I know, from experience of putting this type of thing out there for the last five years, that folks download it like crazy. So, they'd have to be able to use some sort of clothing for it. I guess they get accustomed to never being able to find what they need, so they make it themselves...I just don't know. One thing for sure, this set would make lousy starter poses, because it is so scene specific, half the characters are leaning upon one knee on the bench seat with the other leg having the foot on the floor...so some of the poses, by themselves, are quite funny.

skylab

Esteemed
Well, I think I'm going off for the evening. Need to eat something, and continue resting. Have to be up early in the morning. Glad things are finally settling down for the RDNA folks. Everyone have a good evening, and I'll see you tomorrow :sleep:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Have a good sleep, Sky. Sorry for being so quiet tonight; have been a little under the weather and not home much today. LOL

Sleep well. :)

skylab

Esteemed
Decided to proceed with Dusk Last Supper...using M4 statue materials. I'm not including facial expressions so injecting morphs will be unnecessary, making the scene lighter in weight.

LS-dusk-wip.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Seliah...hope things are going well for you, and that you're working some sleep into your schedule :)

I've been having problems with weakness the past couple of days, cancelled my trip out to do errands this morning, will try again Monday. So, my time online has to be brief for the time being until I perk back up again. I work on the poses awhile, then rest awhile.