• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Well, here's the first test render of Lucas and his little fly friend :) Time for rest....to be continued tomorrow. . .

LUCAS AND FLY.jpg

Can't wait to see what you do with the spider, Sky! He is so cute. I love the fly, too. Love the big eyes...remember the Big Eyes Kids from the 60's, I think? Just something about it that melts the heart...even little flies and spiders. LOL I almost always make my characters eyes bigger.

The boys' bathroom sprung a leak so Michael has decided to redo the complete bathroom. On the plus side, I get to pick out new bathroom stuff and on the negative side...well, he's not really fast at doing home repairs so I kind of hope he finishes before Christmas. *smile*

Stay warm, everyone!

whosthere.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
So glad you're back with us Dani....and hope the leak and bathroom redo go quickly and smoothly.

We're using the spider and fly characters as an interesting way to learn more about DAZ Studio...and have a little fun while we're doing it :)

:drawing:

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Stezza :) I didn't know what it was either....haha. It's the little instrument in the upper right corner of this video from YouTube, called a Kalimba, or slang name "thumb piano" (often heard in African music):

Detailed demonstration of how a kalimba is made:

How kalimba is tuned:

skylab

Esteemed
Linda, I think the other instrument is a washtub bass, something seen in hillbilly and bluegrass bands. They're easy to make....a washtub, a broom handle, and heavy string:

Linda B

Extraordinary
Dani, I remember those big eyed pics. I had several of kids with their pets.

sky, I just noticed you can see the fly reflected in one of the spider's eyes.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Linda :) Is there an option to make his legs more hairy, like Lucas? That's interesting about the reflection....he's the fly of his eye....haha.

There used to be a collection of instruments at 3D Commune by someone named Cooler...one of them was called Jugband, which was a wash board, a kazoo, a little mouth harp (you know, it goes boing, boing, boing....haha), and it also had a wash tub bass, or "gut bucket". There are no textures for it, and it isn't rigged, so it might be better to just build one out of a wash tub model, with a stick and string parented, so that it can move. I could do that easily in Poser, but would have to figure it out in Studio :)

:bee:

Linda B

Extraordinary
Thank you much! Hmm hairy legs....don't think there's an option built in. I'm terrible with the LAHM program to make more hair for him. Do you have the DSON importer working for Poser? I wonder if it could be imported and then the hair room used?

I found some free sticks at turbosquid. wooden sticks obj free Need some rope meshes and can make the harp.

eta: rope: Posable Rope for Poser - Poser - ShareCG

Last edited:

Linda B

Extraordinary
Ooooh TS has a clarinet. I used to play. My great niece does too. Hmm I think there used to be a free one somewhere.

Found one but it's a blend file. Anyone here use blender? I used to but don't have room for the program on the laptop.

Linda B

Extraordinary
I used to play the contrabass clarinet. Image a 5'2" inch little teenager who barely weighted 100 lb playing it! :cool: