• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Cooler instruments...these are really oldies, back in 3D Commune days :)

COOLER STUFF.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking, after I got a good look at the enlarged picture, that sticks parented together and exported as an .obj to import into DS would work for the harp, and it needs strings of course....hopefully could find morphing rope or string in DS format. That's where I'm at a disadvantage....I know Poser freebies very well, but have to search for DS freebies.

Janet is probably our only serious Blender user, but I use it as a utility in my workflow....I can export .blend files to .obj, at least so far. Blender can just be unzipped into a folder, it doesn't have to be installed, so it would work well on your D: drive. It does requires that python be installed, a very small utility, and the newest version 2.80 requires OpenGL 3.3....if you have an older laptop, you could download the previous Blender version 2.79b and unzip it into a folder on your D: drive, and I could show you how to export to .obj....it would be very handy for you to learn how to do this, especially if you don't have something like Carrara or Hexagon.

skylab

Esteemed
Wow...good sized instrument....talk about walking softly and carrying a big stick....haha. Seeing these bluegrass instruments reminded me of a birthday party that I went to one time at a neighbor's house, and they had a bluegrass band doing music for the guests. Everyone knew that I played, and they started daring me to try the big "bass fiddle", much larger than a cello....the fretting would have been way over my head (I was 4'11")... so I thought for a minute, and dragged a kitchen chair over to it, stood on the chair, and played it, for a joke, along with the men in the band :) Bass guitar, or bass fiddle, is easy....tuned like the lower strings on an acoustic guitar, so you can be up and running pretty fast if you know your way around a guitar :) A lot of my animations are based on real life things that I've either done, or tried....Slon and Andy both express this same tendency to launch out, sometimes not very well prepared, into the unknown...haha.

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
I know that I can save and export props and even characters into Poser....so it might work to export Lucas for still renders if he was pre-posed in Studio...since he'd lose all rigging when exported as an .obj. I never had any luck with DSON importer before. I'd have it made if I could get Lucas imported into Poser with his rigging. AntFarm used to do Poser versions of his stuff, so it's a shame that the spider didn't have a Poser version...and let's not forget the fly :)

skylab

Esteemed
No.... I just mentoned that for kitbashing of .obj....either Hexagon or Carrara....you need some type of help like that handy. As far as I know, only Blender can do blend files, unless perhaps high end software might be able to, but my end has never been that high, not even on a chair....haha.

It's worth it to learn how....it's not hard....and BlendSwap.com has tons of free .blend files that are really well done. I notice that they are now advertising subscription rates, but sign up is free, and like with my account, you get so many models to download at one time, and then you just wait until the next month to download more....so there's a quota so to speak for free accounts....but a free account has always been adequate.

Linda B

Extraordinary
I used to use blender when I was modding video games. Been years so I'm sure much has changed.

I have Silo but it's on the non-working pc. :(

Linda B

Extraordinary
ty!

I think I've used up my 3 uses of my Silo serial # but I guess it doesn't hurt to try and see if it lets me.

Hmm, I don't know my serial #

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
As far as I know, there is no limit to Silo licenses...unless if they've changed the way they do things with more recent versions.

skylab

Esteemed
I'm nodding off as I'm surfing...haha....I think it's time for my afternoon nap, before I fall over onto the keyboard....haha. I'll catch you later on this evening....to be continued :)

:sleep:

skylab

Esteemed
Had to do a bit of searching because it was well hidden, but here's the legacy download page for Silo, all the older versions that are available. Windows 7 had a problem with the Silo 2.5 installer, so it reached a point where it would not install at all. My experience with Windows 7 was that version 2.31 was the last good version, and everything after that was a pain....in some cases it would install, but not open. Now that I've updated to Windows 10, I'm using the latest version of Silo with no problem. Anyway, here's the page link to all the different versions of Silo:

SILO LEGACY DOWNLOAD PAGE

Nappy time :sleep:

Linda B

Extraordinary
Boring evening of sitting here waiting for the trick or treaters. Have only had about 10 and 4 of those were the next door kids. Poor dog shut up in the laundry room for nothing for 2 hrs. Only 10 min to go and it's lights out. It was 6-8:00 only. Poor kiddos, it's cold out there.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Boring evening of sitting here waiting for the trick or treaters. Have only had about 10 and 4 of those were the next door kids. Poor dog shut up in the laundry room for nothing for 2 hrs. Only 10 min to go and it's lights out. It was 6-8:00 only. Poor kiddos, it's cold out there.

Well, I emptied the leftover treat bags today. There were 45 of them. That means I had 74 kids Thursday night. It's getting lower. I think more of them are going to parties rather than walking the neighborhoods.

Dana

Linda B

Extraordinary
Had 2 stragglers show up about 5 min. until quitting time. Should have given them the rest of the candy. The neighbor will probably call tomorrow since we usually give it to them.

Stezza, your kalimba works great! Love it! I used some Iray shaders on it.
SpiderKalimba.jpg