• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) Wouldn't it be wonderful if our older computers could do it all, and we didn't have to contend with OpenGL, and graphics cards...I know it would sure make me happy :)

After dealing with internet connection issues all day, I finally have the main workstation back online. I think some of the problems that I have with connection has to do with using wifi adaptors instead of wired connection, although I can remember having similar issues with wired connection. I couldn't begin to explain it in technical terms in a way that would make sense...so I'll just say, in common sense terms, that the "drain gets clogged". Here lately I've not been rebooting often, I've been working through the nights, downloading enormous amounts of data during the P11 beta builds, then adding to that, I downloaded the latest FlowScape, which is over 3 gig. The wifi adaptor gets stuck "on" or "connected", but it sends information to Windows that it's off, or the IP is failing. After I began to understand what had happened to it, I remembered having a similar problem arise with the wired connection years ago, which is one reason why I switched to wireless...I was forever having to pull the wire out of the back of the modem in order to manually clear it (at tech support suggestion), and I got weary of it. So very long story short, I realized it was doing the same thing, only this time with a wifi adaptor about the size of a thumb drive. I manually went in and disconnected the wifi adaptor within Windows, and then reconnected it...and it worked, and has continued to work this evening. The "clogged data drain" was cleared.

I was beginning to wonder if I was going to be able to even download P11.2 when it's released. So far, so good. For those who will be downloading the new, final upgrade, it would be wise to watch this thread discussion, which is a discussion of what to expect, explanation of the downloads, and description of the optional legacy files. There's also ongoing discussion of serial activation issues. In short, the only Smith-Micro Poser software that will fail activation soon is the Game Dev version of Poser Pro 2014, and, of course, Poser 11 and Poser Pro 11.

In my case, I already had Poser Pro 2014, and then purchased the Game Dev add-on, which had a separate serial number. So I had to uninstall all of that, and start over with a clean install of Poser Pro 2014. It works fine, and I choose the option to not register online when installing, and it works fine, as if I was installing an old Poser 7 version. It even worked on an old drive that's kept offline. Now, if the original purchase was Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev full version, not an upgrade, then there would be an activation issue, same as Poser 11.

:coding:

Good morning! All caught up again...love the poses for the cat, Sky! Quinn has an appointment this morning but nothing on the calendar for tomorrow so hopefully I can play on my computer. The problem is the days that I don't have anything scheduled I find myself trying to recover from the days that I did. We used to tease my momma when she would say I can only do one thing a day...and now that I'm old-ish (LOL) I find myself saying the same thing. *smile*

Elleque has an adorable little Halloween sundae for download...I can just see Scampixie Pranx 2 in a little diner scene using it.
ELLEQUE.NET

For some Autumn scene inspiration I find that Pinterest and Instagram provide lots of pretty pictures to try to recreate...hope to do that, too, soon.

Pinterest

Have a good day, everyone!!

Abigail's Visit from 2013

abigailsvisit.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Dani...another beautiful render...and yes, I see the cat reclining at the window :)

A friend just emailed me this morning, asking if I'd contribute to their collection of southern expressions. She knew my mother years ago, so she knew I could contribute some doozies. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree either. I often still think this way, but through life experiences and a little education, have learned to translate these phrases into something that others will understand...but just like you, I still catch myself thinking it....haha. So, I decided it might be fun to share them here...to enjoy the humor, and maybe folks will fully realize just how far I had to come in order to write and speak "normal" English. Ironically, it was my best subject in high school. My senior English teacher refused to make me sit through another year of reviewing grammar, and created a college level, accelerated writing curriculum for me to complete. After reading the southern phrases below, you all may fully appreciate that it was a miracle that the advanced writing class ever happened... haha. Enjoy the chuckles :)

Phrases from my mother's typical daily diction and expressions (haha):

Liberry - Place to go where there are lots of books to read.

Scare up some - Make or create, as in "...I need to scare up some supper...".

Haulin' shanks - Get moving quickly, as in "...I hauled my shanks to the store before it closed...".

Balled up - Also to move quickly, as in "...that cat went runnin' 'cross the field balled up...".

Peckish - As in, "...it's been awhile since I had anything to eat, so I was feelin' a might peckish...".

Mess or passel - A lot of something, as in "...I picked over a mess of greens today...", or "...I did a passel of laundry this mornin'...".

Do up some - Complete a task, as in "...I had to do up some laundry today"...or past tense "I did up some laundry yesterday".

Three hots and a cot - Phrase meaning somebody who likes to repeatedly spend time in jail to avoid working, as in "...he likes them three hots and a cot...".

Totin' - As in "...we were totin' groceries in the house when it started rainin'...".

Gettin' away from - Advancing rapidly, as in "....time was gettin' away from me...".

Now see here - Phrase indicating the ultimate warning, and stuff is about to hit the fan, as in "...Now see here!..."

Heifer - Phrase used when correcting a female, as in "...you little heifer..."

Plum tuckered out - Exhausted, very tired, as in "I was plum tuckered out after workin' over all those veg'tables..."

Veg'tables - Produce from the garden, vegetables.

Workin over - To prepare, as in see plum tuckered out.

I could literally write a whole dictionary probably of colorful southern expressions. Years ago, a friend of mine, raised in Long Island, used to get blank looks on her face when she'd hear me repeat some of these expressions...she'd have no idea what they meant, so I went out and got her the book "How to Speak Southern"...haha. I also made the effort to keep these phrases at home...so you might say I'm bilingual....haha.

There are two versions now, combined in one edition, that's here on Amazon.

...and the original version is here.

:D

skylab

Esteemed
My friend from Long Island just emailed me back, to add to the above list of southern expressions....after I sent her a copy, to see if she remembered :)

Right smart - Phrase of emphasis, as in "...I got right smart tarred doin' my work today..."

Tarred - Exhausted, as in "...I'm feelin' tarred today..."

Full as a tick - Having eaten too much, as in..."I've eat so much, I feel full as a tick..."

:D

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Dani :) Figured you would relate to the "southern sayings"....and in our case, my Dad spoke differently from mom. Dad was typical European-influenced old Virginia accent...so he'd say Christmus...and pronounced "house and about" just like Pat Robertson in VA Beach on CBN...haha. That pronunciation is the hardest to lose, since a person has to learn to open their mouth to lose the unique sound...and can be heard to this day in a Scotch-Irish accent, and is very heavy in coastal VA watermen. Mom on the other hand spoke more like a mix of NC and Appalachian VA. Dad would never have used her country, homespun phrasings, like "fixin' to"...but he had his own way of speaking, probably also influenced some by my Dutch grandfather, who could still speak the language. Mom told me once that my grandfather was teaching me, when very young, to count in Dutch while sitting out on the porch one day....so I imagine that he tried to keep his native language alive in my father as well.

You mentioned Ballmer, Merlin....haha....reminded me of the regional, truncated version of New Orleans, or "N'allins" :)

Well, today is D-day....Poser 11.2 download day....haha....and I'm sure the servers will be smoking today. I believe the link is here, and watch the dates and times on the files, if they jive with the discussion thread below:
https://www.posersoftware.com/downloads

This Poser 11.2 thread, which has pretty much been a looping discussion of the upcoming release, may provide some helpful information about installation, should you need help :)

skylab

Esteemed
Hi Maja :) Good to see you. I'm downloading P11.2 also...it's slow going, but I've got the program files, and a few content files completed. I'm thinking about waiting on La Femme for later, and just concentrate on getting Poser restored to how it was before all the updates, with Paul and Pauline, Andy and the gang...and I already had the Hivewire content. At least the Legacy files are much smaller so they are easier to download. I was curious about the other "Premium Content" so I'm downloading it. It takes about three hours each for the larger files to download, so it will probably take all day. Hope all is going well for you :)