• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Some folks are especially gifted at grasping lighting, like Seach. Education in order to understand it helps I'm sure. That wasn't my particular path of opportunity in life, so I'm more of a fly by the seat of my pants person....haha....guess that's why I like animation :) Glad you were able to make a connection with someone who understands lighting in Studio. I've maintained my love hate relationship with DS4 for several years...haha....mainly I'm a realist, and realize that if I need to use it in order to progress along, then I should not let personal feelings about it hinder my opportunities....it's just a useful tool. The Masterclass on Facial Expression and Body Language is a good example....the demonstrations are done in DAZ Studio, and I've always wanted to learn a better control of the dials for posing in newer versions of Studio, but the Masterclass videos are also beneficial in general terms, about the subject of effective posing. I can do Poser in my sleep, so it will be easy to apply that knowledge while using Poser as well. My worst weakness in Studio is lighting....I never got the hang of it, even back as far as version one....everything I render in it turns out very dark and shadowy. I figured out how to move the cones around, which is an improvement, but it's totally a matter of luck if it turns out right at this point. So again, I'm glad you found a friend who's good at DS lighting.

I've been meaning to share this link with you....I used it back when I was doing the Poser 8 dog run pose....it's a sight that has online animations for humans and animals....if you pick around, you'll find all kinds of stuff. This particular link is an alien slow run....but you can search and find all kinds of animals...dogs, horses, dinosaurs, and everything in between. I found the green screen videos the best for seeing movements clearly. You might find it handy when doing animations.

Terre

Renowned
Good evening. :) Sky, I figure all the work you are doing will be useful in some way or another. Many workarounds end up helping with other things as you well know.

skylab

Esteemed
I noticed in the Hivewire content in Poser thread that mention was made of the old content being removed from Poser, and replaced by new, but apparently the legacy content will be available for optional download, so that's better than removing it without option, as it's been slowly disappearing over the last five years. So far it appears that all the versions of Andy, and the wooden Mannequin, will survive the purge.

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
I really thought at first that the Legacy Pets would be a project that just a few would even download....so much for listening to "popular" trends. I am pleading, in response to the download comments, that someone gifted in texture work...help the cats get a face lift....haha. The gray tabby would be better off as a tuxedo black and white than stuck in his present state....the stripes sort of got out of control in the head textures, but the body looks okay. With the Poser original cat (orange tabby), his main problem is the eyes....and for the promos I changed some material room settings and added a little transparency so that he wouldn't have so much of the default "deer caught in the headlights" appearance...haha. He's not had any changes since early Poser days, so it's to be expected that it won't render well now. The cats just need a little attention. And meanwhile, I'll be back to creating more poses.

...and bigger surprise, the Legacy Pets made the home page of ShareCG o_O

sharecg.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Well, the good news is....this evenings P11.2 beta build installed, and accepted the serial. The less-than-good news....all of the Poser people are gone now, in addition to all the Poser animals, even the Poser 8 dog, which makes no sense....I'm sorry....but that animal was fine as he was. Here's a screen shot of the "Legacy" folder, consisting of the mannequins.

P11-legacy.jpg

...and my default loading preview window is a butt-naked La Femme, along with some loading error prompts....which I'll replace immediately with Andy, as it has always been. Poser as we've known it in the past just circled the drain. My evening of exploring Poser Pro 2014 work-arounds is finally making sense now....everything has its purpose. At least PP2014 will do the P11 construct dome and Seach's terrific sky mats for it and the haze ring also. Most new figure conflicts have to do with materials, so some creative experimenting in the material room is required.

I'm beginning to wonder if the blunder with my serial number was some sort of error....it happened while I had Poser 11.2 beta open, and had been working for hours...then all of a sudden I saw a box pop up, indicating that the serial was invalid. I then attempted to install the next beta build in hopes that it would correct, but it refused to open. Now, this evening, without receiving a response from support, tonight's beta build installed fine. So I really can't say for sure what happened. I counted installation of about a dozen beta builds since this began, so I was way past the Smith-Micro limit of three. I did try to install a beta build on my kitchen Windows 7 hard drive that's offline, but it wouldn't work...it requires connection to the server....so that's when I knew I was going to have to tweak Poser Pro 2014 in order to work in there at all. I've started many a pose set right there at the kitchen table while cooking, then transfer the project by thumb drive to the main workstation for completion and promos. That was what the small Windows 10 drive was going to be for in the kitchen, so that I could continue doing as I'd always done using Poser 11. So this "always online" thing is not my cup of tea at all....not after what I've been through with Windows 10 updates trashing the drive.

load-error.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
I'm not sure about Paul and Pauline, as they are no longer listed in the content folder(s). Makes me sick to think of all of Maja's exceptionally beautiful work, possibly going down with the ship. A lot of her materials are Poser 11 superfly dependent, so they could not be used in PP2014. The quality of her work, which she generously gave away for free, exceeded that of a lot of vendors. In fact, she's presently working on a beautiful project for Pauline (below), and she may not even know what's about to happen...oh geez...this is going to be sickening to watch. I'm not celebrating so much now. This reminds me of certain things that happened in 2012.

Geisha-3-Maja.jpg

I'll probably continue using Poser 11 for certain projects that require superfly or special lighting...and I don't suffer eye strain as much by having the benefit of enlarged text in the UI....but I will proceed with caution, especially with future versions. Right now I'm pulling content from different versions of Poser by way of my collection of runtimes. It's about the only way that I can recommend salvaging things that you may want access to later.

skylab

Esteemed
While doing searches for interesting cat poses, I recalled a long time ago doing poses for the free Yanelis Kittens Blackie and Mesky, on Rendo. The poses are at links below. I may take a look at these again while I'm working on the Poser cats. If I remember correctly, their rigging was more of a challenge for certain poses, but the black one especially was kinda cute....and like the Poser critters, they are good for background scene fillers sometimes.

MESKY and BLACKIE KITTY SITTING

MESKY and BLACKIE KITTY WALK and EAT

MESKY and BLACKIE KITTY RESTING

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) Yeah, at least it would be available for current customers, but stuff that was created for Paul and Pauline would not ever be used again. The Legacy stuff has pretty much been in circulation for a lot of years, but Paul and Pauline were created for Poser 11....so that means everything that Maja has created would go by the wayside. Can you imagine....she and her husband have toughed it through lay-offs, tighter lifestyle and time restrictions, and the one enjoyment that she was able to have was her 3D art....and now this. I'm trying not to think about it....makes me sick every time I do. And it was all so unnecessary, to totally rip Poser apart. But I will say this....somebody is paying the price for having done so....because the latest build is just as buggy as it can be, with error prompts and crashing. I'm doing my pose and texture work in PP2014 now....with no problems of course. My heart is just not into any more beta testing right now. I'm done.

Hey Janet :) When I saw the pose sets for the kittens today, I remembered doing them about five years ago, and I'll take time to look at them again, to see if I can improve the poses any. They make nice kittens to go with the Poser cats :)

I decided to try a solid white and maybe a solid black texture for the Poser cat for the promos. I won't distribute these...I just needed a better looking texture for the pose set promos, and hopefully show that the cat models themselves are not the problem. To be as old as they are, I think they work well.

:bee:

DanaTA

Distinguished
Hey Terre :) Yeah, at least it would be available for current customers, but stuff that was created for Paul and Pauline would not ever be used again. The Legacy stuff has pretty much been in circulation for a lot of years, but Paul and Pauline were created for Poser 11....so that means everything that Maja has created would go by the wayside.

Why is that? I'm sure I'm not the only person who keeps backups of runtimes. I also make my runtimes elsewhere than the standard, "suggested", folders, so an update wouldn't overwrite the things that are there.

Dana