• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

seachnasaigh

Energetic
...I also struggle with all the beautiful homes that are having walls destroyed in pursuit of "open concept"...and I'm thinking, they'll have a great time, year's later, scrubbing down their living room, since walls help contain the effects of cooking on the rest of the house....and in the case of a house fire, there are no doors to shut, and the place would go up like a grass shack. My brother rescued me from a house fire when I was very young...and I still remember it...and because we had doors to shut and ways to contain it, my parents, working frantically together, put it out by themselves...it destroyed a kitchen wall, but they repaired it themselves. So sometimes "old fashioned" is based upon experience :)
(emphasis @seachnasaigh )

Interesting that you perceived the value of containment of fire. My main career was as a firefighter and we used doors and windows as valves, closing them to suffocate/slow the fire's growth until we got firemen inside, with hose in position and water applied, then selectively opening them to ventilate the heat/steam/smoke via a particular pathway.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Janet :) Here's a screenshot below of the latest build, but now I'm getting an invalid license prompt....so all the installations must have counted against my license. I'll contact Rendo to try to get it straightened out, but the next build will probably be my last installation until the final release, as I don't won't this to cost me a license. Until this is resolved, I won't be able to use Poser 11 at all. You can imagine what my opinion of license activation is right now. You might be wondering where the advertising links are. In the content folder, if you click on the content, the folder expands to show the item, plus at the bottom of each folder is a link to Rendo. I don't plan on using these....it's too much like DAZ, and I feel it will cost in terms of system resources, and possibly even security....I miss the days of software being offline....but, this is the latest marketing.

I'm glad for the new content, and the fact that the program is getting an overhaul, but I'm disappointed over the license activation (you have to be on the internet to use the software), and what seems to be a priority focus on marketing. A decade ago, Poser users enjoyed the hobby, and spent a fortune at DAZ, RDNA, Rendo, Poserworld, Content Paradise, 3DCommune, Vanishing Point, Meshbox, Sixus1 and numerous other individual 3D stores, without embedded advertising links. A lot of people made a lot of money off of it. Then the market became flooded with Genesis content, and more advertising....with heated competition between DAZ Studio and those who preferred to remain with Poser. Now we're trying to revive interest in Poser, and the very first thing we're hearing is will content be free to Studio users. Michael 4 and Vicky 4.2 starter sets are still $49.95, if there isn't a sale. Nothing has been free for Poser users....we've paid, and paid, and kept on paying. So, I'm thinking Studio users should face the marketing wall for a change, the same marketing wall that DAZ built.

Here's the screen shot of last night's beta build, but there's really no difference (yet) in the overall appearance. You may notice a yellow notification up in the upper right corner...if you click on it, it just mentions the upcoming release date of Poser. I can't get beyond this invalid license prompt now, so I'm out of the game until I can hopefully get it unlocked.

license-invalid.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Oh hi Seach! I was so hoping that you'd stop by and make yourself at home here....you have such a disciplined wealth of knowledge of Poser lighting, we could all learn from it...so please feel free to share anything you like. We're free of too many restraints here, so there's no such thing as going off topic where 3D information is concerned. Again, I'm fascinated with what you've been able to accomplish with Poser lighting, so feel free to share, with my blessing!!

...and yes, my family experienced first hand the value of cutting off oxygen to flames that were out of control. I grew up in a community that was over 20 miles from the nearest store, or sign of civilization...haha....so our home would have burned down if my family had stood around waiting for a fire truck. My parents just rotated buckets under the kitchen facet and kept the water coming until my brother got me out of the house, then they had him run a garden hose through the kitchen window, and then Dad could do some serious spraying down of the flames. They were dealing with flames rising the full height of the wall. Turns out it was some sort of momentary short in wiring. I'm so grateful that they smelled smoke and got us all moving quickly. That was before the days of smoke alarms....late 50's, early '60's. I always felt that God was looking out for us....many, many times.

:angel:

skylab

Esteemed
Janet, here's a quick render that I did of La Femme with yesterday's beta build. I didn't post it at the time so as not to reveal too much about content, but since it seems it's being discussed openly, here's La Femme with the included hair.

la femme lite beta.jpg

...and Pink 2 is included also, which happens to be the only CHK2033 character that I didn't have :)

PINK---P11.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Since I haven't heard anything yet from support regarding my Poser 11 serial number, I decided to try setting up all my runtimes in Poser Pro 2014 and do a little experimenting with my old Poser 11 content from my laptop. Here's a render of the Poser 11 construct dome within Poser Pro 2014....and PP2014 Andy is on the left, while Poser 11 Andy is on the right, appearing a little amazed at his parallel universe experience :) Tomorrow I'll test to see if his recent drone animations will function correctly in Poser Pro 2014.

PP2014 ANDY with P11 Andy and Construct.jpg

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thank you! No differences yet. Hope you get your license sorted out! It would really suck to be without Poser!

skylab

Esteemed
Okay, this alien animation created in Poser 11 rendered fine in Poser Pro 2014. PP2014 "found" the P11 version of Andy on its on without missing file prompts, so looks like I'm back in business. I'll miss the large type in the P11 program interface, and the ability to do superfly materials, but since P11 will persist in requiring online activation, I'll set up my kitchen workstation to make do without it. I was really hoping things would work out differently, but it's just too expensive to keep buying drives to maintain online activation, and then have Microsoft wipe it out with their foolishness.

So...here's the first P11 Andy cross-over animation, rendered in Poser Pro 2014...and a screen shot of the Poser Pro 2014 interface.

ANDY DRONE - SPACE OBSERVERS PP2014.gif

PP2014.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Still haven't heard from support about my P11 license, so I'm glad I spent last night getting things lined up in Poser Pro 2014. I sent a second message to support early today, but I'm sure it's a low priority on their list of things to do. Meanwhile I can make myself content finding work-arounds in workflow that may be useful later :)

:bee:

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Hahaha, I dunno. It's called: Run! Why? Where we going? I dunno just RUN!

I asked someone on Facebook if they would like to test a product so we did that through FB chat then started talking about DS and he shared some lighting tips. I've been trying to make this kind of lighting for forever.