• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
More playing with FlowScape. Attempting to import Poser default-sized saved objects results in very small import sizes...so I exported 1971s butterfly bench at 500%, in order for it to show reasonably well in this scene. I also stripped away all textures, and replaced them with diffuse black before exporting from Poser.

butterfly-bench.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
...and last this morning, Doc Pitterbill sitting on the butterfly bench in FlowScape. I'm finally getting the hang of scene navigation. I still prefer Poser's navigation tools. Anyway, this shows an unusual perspective from ground level.

DOC on butterfly bench.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Doc had to be stripped of all textures and bump maps in order to make the import into FlowScape, as pictured below. Still haven't had an idea of how to handle his eyes, so for now I compromised with a shade of gray. I could perhaps model an iris that would be separate from the rest, and export it welded into place. Today is doctor appointment day so I'll continue playing with this probably tomorrow. Have a good day everyone :)

DOC BUTTERFLY BENCH for FlowScape.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
I took a few screen captures, hoping to convey the feel of what it's like working in FlowScape in the (1971s) bridge picture below....the plants are waving in the breeze, there are butterflies flying around, rabbits are moving over in the flowers on the right, and fish are swimming in the water....in other words, you're working with an animated scene. The animation is not smooth since it's built from a series of screen captures, but it's enough to get the idea of what it's like.

flowscape-bridge-ani.gif

flowscape-bridge1.jpg

robert952

Brilliant
I took a few screen captures, hoping to convey the feel of what it's like working in FlowScape in the (1971s) bridge picture below....the plants are waving in the breeze, there are butterflies flying around, rabbits are moving over in the flowers on the right, and fish are swimming in the water....in other words, you're working with an animated scene. The animation is not smooth since it's built from a series of screen captures, but it's enough to get the idea of what it's like.

View attachment 49482

View attachment 49483
Thanks for sharing. Nice images.
Is the bridge imported? The mention of 1971s seems to indicate an older model of some sort. I also note the bridge texture seems plastic. One person I talked with indicates you have to make sure the mtl and obj files are in the same directory.
FlowScape is (IMHO) a great piece of software. I've only done still images. But using your mouse and keyboard you can move the POV while in FlowScape. Screen capture videos can help tell a back story or set the mood.
I note you put this under free resources. FlowScape is not free, but it is reasonably priced for what you get.

skylab

Esteemed
Wow Robert, you covered a lot of ground in a short post :) I'll try to address all your questions. I'll start with the last one first. Apparently you've not stopped by this chat thread before...haha. I frequently do software reviews, tutorials, we discuss ongoing projects, I post free stuff to keep us on course, we visit and just chat together....so we're not limited to any one thing. Frankly, the Hive located our thread here as a best guess of where to put us....it's basically a resource for 3D beginners, as well as us seniors who prefer the slow lane. I've already posted that FlowScape has a $10 registration, and posted links for how to obtain the download. You can view all that information on previous pages. I seem to have a recurring problem here lately....that is, folks will stop by, read the top post without pursuing the information further, and ask questions for instant answers, like I'm Cortana or Alexa or something....haha. I guess it's a sign of the times these days. However, I'm a retired little old lady with some health challenges who needs her rest once in awhile, but I do my best to keep up with what's happening. But, I have had to pull back some lately in being available online so much, to encourage folks to R-E-A-D....see Spot read....read Spot read...otherwise, this rich resource of information is a waste of time.

Okay....the Japanese garden bridge was modeled by 1971s on Rendo....again, mentioned a few pages back. I stripped the (beautiful) textures off of it so that it would not complicate the import into FlowScape. My first attempts at import I experienced a few hiccups in this area, and read where there was no guarantee that textures would import. So that's why for the "plastic" appearance....but I was not shooting for a masterpiece, I was trying to demonstrate that the animation is taking place during the creation process. I'm also trying to find out what will and won't work for import.

I agree that FlowScape is fantastic creative software. I enjoy using it, and find it relaxing....it has the stress reduction of a game, with the creative potential of 3D software. I'm learning more each time I use it, and plan to attempt more complicated imports in the future....but one must crawl before they can walk :) For example, this morning I learned that using the navigation buttons, and pointing at the bridge allowed for fairly smooth movement of the bridge (directing the navigation to the bridge by clicking on it caused the navigation tools to appear on the bridge, similar to the way DAZ Studio used to do years ago). I previously had thought that the navigation buttons somehow controlled the scene platform. Yesterday I learned that pressing Q and E would raise the platform, so I was able to accomplish the ground level perspective of Doc sitting on the butterfly bench, pictured above. That butterfly bench was also modeled by 1971s on Rendo. The only thing I've experienced so far that seems to be a little unstable is the deletion and undo processes....sometimes it will, and sometimes it won't....and I think it has to do with a heavily populated scene....at some point, it becomes inconsistent in function (especially when working with flowers). I've already noticed that FlowScape is going through rapid upgrades, so I'm sure this will be worked out soon. I'm excited about where this is headed, and though I'd never nag the creator for more features, I can't help but hope that it moves toward improved import, navigation, and animation features. Thanks again Robert for sharing about this software in your thread....because you shared the information, I've really been enjoying using it :)

:bee:

robert952

Brilliant
Wow Robert, you covered a lot of ground in a short post :) I'll try to address all your questions. I'll start with the last one first. Apparently you've not stopped by this chat thread before...haha. I frequently do software reviews, tutorials, we discuss ongoing projects, I post free stuff to keep us on course, we visit and just chat together....so we're not limited to any one thing. Frankly, the Hive located our thread here as a best guess of where to put us....it's basically a resource for 3D beginners, as well as us seniors who prefer the slow lane. I've already posted that FlowScape has a $10 registration, and posted links for how to obtain the download. You can view all that information on previous pages. I seem to have a recurring problem here lately....that is, folks will stop by, read the top post without pursuing the information further, and ask questions for instant answers, like I'm Cortana or Alexa or something....haha. I guess it's a sign of the times these days. However, I'm a retired little old lady with some health challenges who needs her rest once in awhile, but I do my best to keep up with what's happening. But, I have had to pull back some lately in being available online so much, to encourage folks to R-E-A-D....see Spot read....read Spot read...otherwise, this rich resource of information is a waste of time.

Okay....the Japanese garden bridge was modeled by 1971s on Rendo....again, mentioned a few pages back. I stripped the (beautiful) textures off of it so that it would not complicate the import into FlowScape. My first attempts at import I experienced a few hiccups in this area, and read where there was no guarantee that textures would import. So that's why for the "plastic" appearance....but I was not shooting for a masterpiece, I was trying to demonstrate that the animation is taking place during the creation process. I'm also trying to find out what will and won't work for import.

I agree that FlowScape is fantastic creative software. I enjoy using it, and find it relaxing....it has the stress reduction of a game, with the creative potential of 3D software. I'm learning more each time I use it, and plan to attempt more complicated imports in the future....but one must crawl before they can walk :) For example, this morning I learned that using the navigation buttons, and pointing at the bridge allowed for fairly smooth movement of the bridge (directing the navigation to the bridge by clicking on it caused the navigation tools to appear on the bridge, similar to the way DAZ Studio used to do years ago). I previously had thought that the navigation buttons somehow controlled the scene platform. Yesterday I learned that pressing Q and E would raise the platform, so I was able to accomplish the ground level perspective of Doc sitting on the butterfly bench, pictured above. That butterfly bench was also modeled by 1971s on Rendo. The only thing I've experienced so far that seems to be a little unstable is the deletion and undo processes....sometimes it will, and sometimes it won't....and I think it has to do with a heavily populated scene....at some point, it becomes inconsistent in function (especially when working with flowers). I've already noticed that FlowScape is going through rapid upgrades, so I'm sure this will be worked out soon. I'm excited about where this is headed, and though I'd never nag the creator for more features, I can't help but hope that it moves toward improved import, navigation, and animation features. Thanks again Robert for sharing about this software in your thread....because you shared the information, I've really been enjoying using it :)

Apologies. I see I fell into the trap, too.

I'll have stop by and tune in more to your thread. I will add it to my 'work flow' of reading. That way I won't get in the middle of a thread.

I fully agree that I find FlowScape a quick relaxing experience prior to going to bed.

Thanks for the insight.

skylab

Esteemed
You're certainly welcome to join in any time with our thread....we're mostly seniors who enjoy Nursoda characters from Rendo, and sharing our current projects, and any new freebies that we find....plus our attempts at animation. Janet and I mostly do animations. So welcome to our gang :)

Terre

Renowned
GOod afternoon. Those screen shots look great. I can see people trying to export scenes and use them as backgrounds.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) Yeah, especially since the game environment makes it so much fun during the creative process...no struggling with textures or problem polys...just point, click, and fill the scene, while the wind affects everything in the scene while you play, and little critters hop or fly around while you work :) And Roger was right, it makes a great way to settle down in the evenings, or in the early hours of the morning.

Now that I've figured out how to control the imported models, I'll try some more experiments with textured models. I'm not sure, but my best guess is that is may take the type of models that have all the textures on one file, but not multiple files, like Poser does with human characters. Roger was correct about the .mtl file needing to be in the same folder as the .obj file....that is, don't make the FlowScape program have to search for the .mtl file. My experience with .mtl files in the past has been like setting diffuse colors for each part, like in the old anim8or models that I used to do. The part that I don't know is....is there a time when .mtl files actually contain textures? So, not having that knowledge, I'm left with hit or miss testing of different types of .obj models. Stripping the materials from the butterfly bench didn't make that much difference it its appearance....either way, it appears black. But stripping Doc of his textures....or the Japanese bridge....was different, it takes on a "plastic" appearance, as Roger put it. After my nap today, I started thinking about the fruit bowl set that I created years ago in Argile, with painted textures...and wondered how it would appear in FlowScape....so that may be one of my next experiments. If the import process is improved in FlowScape to include expanded texture compatibility, it would make a neat little 3D tool.

skylab

Esteemed
Just like the fluffy kitty above has a different appearance in the mirror, so we as a nation have a different appearance when we have the courage to look into a mirror and see what we have become, or hear how other nations describe us....we are viewed now as a violent, out-of-control, gun-slinging society, because that's indeed what is beginning to appear in the mirror. We've allowed an entire generation to raise themselves in front of violent video games and movies, and now we are surprised at the harvest of the crop that we planted. If you plant weeds, you don't get sweet-smelling roses....you get weeds. And all it needs is that propensity for violence to be ignited by a real, or imagined, threat of social, political or racial conflict...and boom, folks start losing their lives in the real world, a tragic game over that doesn't have a reset button. It was sad to see on the news, folks rushing for cover in Times Square, at the sound of an engine backfire. It's been happening so much lately, fleeing or ducking for cover has become a conditioned response. Weapons don't cause violence...violence is planted in the heart. We need mirrors....to see ourselves accurately, and new seeds, to change what we allow to be planted in our hearts. Remember the story...."a sower went out to sow, and some seeds fell on...".....we need to be soil prepared and ready for good seeds.

:peace:

skylab

Esteemed
This ended up to be a rather comical import attempt....since the fruit bowl failed, and the banana imported but without its textures, I decided to make this yet another three frame demonstration of critter movement with a few flowers, apparently growing on rocky ground...and we know from the sower story that they won't last long without much root depth :)

animals-ani.gif

FRUIT-BOWL.jpg

Original fruit bowl, models painted in Argile.

fruit.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) You might want to view some more of Ivy's animations....they are really well done. She handles things like traffic and plane flight exceptionally well, with a good variety of camera angles to keep it interesting.