• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Linda....yeah, how about this jerry-rig for the material room...haha. Here's Andy again, in aged copper, simple no frills firefly render. According to the instructions, it's supposed to work well with Poser 10/Poser Pro2014, and Poser 11 and Poser Pro 11. It has problems apparently with Poser 9 in preview mode, but it will work, just not as well as Poser 10 and Poser 11.

ANDY-EMULATOR-TEST2.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
From Laugh-In days....haha. Well, this is just to show that not every test render is a success. This was supposed to be a very dark red velvet....there's a hint of something there, but it didn't turn out like intended. It's best to put a little effort into understanding the basics before launching into this.

andy-emulator-test4.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
This was the sample prop that was included with the PBR Emulator plug-in, to practice applying the included textures and manually setting the lights. Firefly render.

PBR PHONE.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Linda :) You've got some interesting candle light in that render, and even a mirror image in the background...good job with the lighting.

:bee:

Nice image, Linda!

Interesting play on textures, Sky...I don't understand what you did either. *smile* I'm going to have to go back and re-read what you did and go to the links to try and understand a bit. The material room is a mystery to me. The old texture sets (Thorne and Mada's dollies for an example) where the main material color is set to black instead of white...why did it render okay in PP2014? I run across that a lot but am happy that just a simple trip to the Material room to change the color from black to white brings the texture back to the render in PP11.

I like rusty Andy. I just bought Atenais' Leather for Poser. I have had success using Superfly with Atenais' wood and fabric textures. I still use many of Fabiana's materials from her various sets, too.

That's beautiful! Love the flowers, love the drapes! I have the rest of her Poser friendly flowers in my wishlist...I'm going to constantly check to hopefully catch them on sale.

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning Dani :) I sent you an email a short while ago.

The material room has always been a mystery to me as well. Slowly I've gotten more brave with it. The best way to learn with the material room is to work with something that isn't of huge importance, to get rid of the feeling that you may ruin a perfectly good scene. That's why I play around with Andy a lot....it doesn't involve a scene. And the best way to figure out what various settings do...like the stuff set to black....that was hard for me to understand as well....the best way to learn what it does is by learning what it doesn't do...if that makes sense. Like the purple flower pot in the above render....a solid purple pot is not an option in the pansies set....so I chose the solid yellow pot, and started playing around with the diffuse and ambient settings....using deep purples, one darker than the other...and you see the results. You have to overcome the fear that you'll somehow "break" something if you change it. If you make a change and don't care for it, you can always select undo, and back out of it. I've also been playing around with the construct background lately...in the above render, I changed the background "sky" area to purple, and then also the ground plane, instead of hiding the construct and choosing just a solid color for the background. Once you get used to it, I suspect you'll have a gift for creative backgrounds :)

:drawing:

skylab

Esteemed
Well if this isn't a hoot....I'm doing flowers, and you're doing sci-fi....haha....talk about learning from each other :)

You did an especially good job on that Technopolis render...I like petipet's stuff...unique and interesting. Always thought that Technopolis might make a good environment for Nursoda's Flisch and perhaps Slon. Here's Slon in petipet's flying machine :)

slon-ship.gif

slon-ship.jpg

slon-ship2.jpg

"You have to overcome the fear that you'll somehow "break" something if you change it. If you make a change and don't care for it, you can always select undo, and back out of it."

That about sums it up! LOL

I am exploring and experimenting more now. *smile*