• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Well, I just went through some of my RDNA plant folders and it seems to be the grasslands (transmapped) that I have problems with...my ferns, ground cover, bushes and some flowers are rendering okay. Guess I should have checked first! LOL

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning Dani :) I also have a lot of the plants and props that used to be on RDNA....that was a fun place to just browse and catch sales, and a lot of their stuff was on a permanent mark down, which was a great way to handle the props store.

I love rainbows, so your render is a pleasant sight this morning. People these days either forget, or are unaware that a rainbow is God's signature, and a reminder of His glory. I always stopped what I was doing, and paused to enjoy whenever a rainbow appeared in the sky....especially double rainbows :)

I was hoping you'd benefit some from the flower freebies....and yes, I thought of you when I saw that blue watering can :) I was also trying to help Linda collect a few things. I can't imagine losing everything from a drive problem...so maybe we can help her find some things to replace them. That's why I ask if people can remember anything about where stuff came from...to help in attempting to track it down. I'm pretty good at choking information out of google, when necessary....haha.

:bee:

sannzi

Speaking of rainbows...Sannzi has a nice one plus most of his/her cute little toon animals are here, too.

ぽざくら Poser Club

If you have the time and want to pick up some freebies, just go to the page and click on each "continue reading" link. If you place your cursor over the download button it will usually tell you in English what the item is.

I knew that...I'm always marveling at how intricate, delicate and beautiful God's creations are...takes my breath away sometimes. *smile*

I love all of the goodies you post! Thank you.

skylab

Esteemed
As for rendering issues, and since superfly is relatively new on the scene, I always just try a test superfly with a low pixel sample setting (around 6 or 7) just to get an idea what it will do. When I tried that kind of test on the drapes, it didn't seem as though it would work, but I didn't try any adjustments, or, like you mentioned, checking the directions...haha. Superfly is great for hard surfaces...glass, polished metals, paint....but things like hair may have different results....it will appear thin in a superfly render...which is why there's a newer approach to hair now...I think in Studio it's called fibermess or something like that...it's thicker, so it can stand up to iray rendering. It happens that I do a lot of cars, and polished metals...and I like doing glass....so I do enjoy superfly rendering.

This is an example of how car renders used to appear in Studio and older versions of Poser...like the example you showed yesterday using Kena I think it was. Notice the custom license plate...haha. If I remember correctly this render was done in an early version of Studio....all of my Studio renders are dark, since I have trouble controlling the lights.

nova_holy-rollr.jpg

nova-interior.jpg

Then around about Poser 9 and 10, folks were creating better firefly mats with their models...so this was just a firefly render done of this Camaro. I actually had one that looked like this....how sweet it was :)

chevy-camaro1978.jpg

Then I discovered that the materials that come with Schurby's cars at Rendo work well on other vehicles...so I starting applying those to older models with pretty good results. Again, this is still just a firefly render....but it's all in Schurby's car paint, chrome, and glass materials, and lighting. His burgundy paint renders wonderfully, and I tend to use it a lot.

1941-chevy.jpg

The same Schurby paint and chrome materials applied to a motorcycle :) So that's my "secret sauce" for doing vehicles.
Schurby's vehicles are at Rendo, and I use the '65 GTO, the '58 Impala, and the '73 Nova on all my stuff....which includes the paint, the chrome, the glass, the mirrors, and even the tire rubber and trim.

classic-bike-2-new-mats.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Oh yes, the heat index is supposed to be dangerously high this weekend....like 110 to 115, so be careful. When I see on the news...people who are leaving young children fastened up in hot cars, and some are dying in the heat....that would be an awful, tragic mistake to have on your conscience for the rest of your life. I have a hard time understanding what these people are thinking when they do that...yes, it may seem more convenient, but my God, what a price to pay for convenience. I think they were saying on the news yesterday that it only takes 10 minutes for heat to rise to deadly levels in a car parked in the sun.

skylab

Esteemed
Here are a couple of superfly renders...of D3D gold applied to older models of the tabernacle furniture, and also Maja's high priest outfit for Poser 11 Paul...she's a master at superfly materials. She actually created superfly materials for Bionic Rooster's Ark.

Bionic Rooster's Ark can be found here.

tabernacle-furniture-superfly.jpg

high-priest_maja_superfly.jpg

...and this was a "mixed" render....it's a superfly render of Andy with blue glass D3D superfly materials, but the B9 Lost in Space robot was a very old model. The lights in his head rendered well, but the rest is just okay....he needs a thorough make-over with superfly materials.

So...that's about the extent of my experience with superfly so far...a lot of trial and error...and downloading of any Poser 11 material freebies, in order to have stuff to work with :)

b9-and-andy.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
I just found an interesting product on Rendo....it's called PBR Emulator Firefly for Poser 9 or higher. The reviews have been good. Here is the free set of PBR Materials listed by one of the reviewers, Free Collection - Vol1 (PBR Textures) by KobaAlexander. If I'm understanding this correctly, the PBR Emulator Firefly plug-in allows for using newer mats on old models, so that Firefly can deliver better render results....which is what I've been sharing this morning. Hmmmm....this may be one for my wishlist. And here's a link to the free PBR textures website....haha....more downloading :) I have a feeling that this is a cool discovery this morning. As I was demonstrating earlier, I was getting great results with car renders with firefly, before Poser 11 superfly was ever released....and it was due mostly to the difference in how Schurby was creating his materials. Here I go....boldy going where I know nothing about it...but then, that's how I do everything :) I guess this will be continued later...when I've had time to research it.

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
Looks like we have PBR fabrics for Poser by Deecey here at Hivewire.

...and it seems that this is what 3D Coat is all about...a program I invested in years ago when it still had an inexpensive noncommercial version, and now lo, and behold...it's all that and a bag of chips.

Okay....that's enough...really got to have breakfast now :)

:sleep:

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :)
Yeah, sounds like Poser 9/Pro 2012 and Poser 10/Pro 2014 could benefit from that plug-in. I've got it wishlisted for when there's another sale :) My interest in it involves being able to revive older models with new PBR textures, and get the benefit of good Firefly rendering time, especially for animations...and also possibly improving compatibility with iClone 7. I just happened to run across it this morning when searching for Poser 11 mats.

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
I wanted to correct a comical typo in post 8,006, above the render of the Nova....in it I typed "...which is why there's a newer approach to hair now...I think in Studio it's called fibermess or something like that...it's thicker, so it can stand up to iray rendering. " Haha....I meant to type fibermesh...that is, thick, strand based hair.

It's worth mentioning that Maja included superfly hair and beard for Paul in her high priest outfit....it's on ShareCG, and can be downloaded here: Maja's high priest outfit for Poser 11 Paul.

:oopsie:

skylab

Esteemed
Okay....here's my first test render of Andy using the PBR Emulator (it was going to wear a hole in my brain until I finally tried it...haha). Please understand, I have no technical knowledge of what I just accomplished....and that part really isn't all that important to me. All I know is, with Andy's body selected, I loaded the emulator, and once that was done, expanded, more advanced material room options popped up....and at that point I applied the new texture. So here's Andy, quite shiny....in a simple firefly render with only three lights.

andy-emulator-test.jpg

Back to my nap :}

:sleep: