• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
:)

SLON LOREZ HORSE HOLD ON.jpg

SLON LOREZ HORSE HOLD ON 2.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Slon looks like he's having the "ride of a lifetime". ;)

That car looks good too. Nice and shiny. :)

skylab

Esteemed
Haha...that's a good way to put it Seliah :) If you've ever fallen off of a horse, you can relate. My first experience, grade school age, of riding a friend's Shetland pony ended in a similar fiasco, since he thought because of my total inexperience that it would be funny to slap the animal's behind and make him take off at a full gallop. A galloping horse is one thing....but a galloping Shetland pony goes something like boogity-boogity-boogity...haha. Of course I was out of sync with the saddle altogether, so I was on the upswing when the pony was on the down swing, but it was that collision on my downswing with his upswing that produced not only pain, but further excitement of the animal. After a futile attempt to hold onto his neck, I flew off like the launch of a smart missile. I was fine when I finally landed, just a little bruised...but it put in me the desire to keep trying. A few years later I had happily learned to gallop a horse so large that I had to stand on the roof of a pump house to get on him...that was less ego piercing than carrying a step ladder around...haha. So once again, Slon's antics are based loosely on real stuff :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
LOL. Yes, I've fallen off of a horse before. So I know exactly what you mean. And I was thrown from one a few years after that.. I don't like tack and saddles! :roflmao:

The adults responsible for the saddle situation figured out after that, that the dang saddle was more dangerous to me than riding tackless, even at a full gallop! LOL It was the last time they ever tried to saddle me, let me tell you. I was okay; some bruises, and a bit of a hot temper as I did the typical preteen girl thing glaring at my elders and basically going "See? See?! I told you so!"

LOL...

The other time I fell off was because I didn't pay attention. It was my own fault. :) I got distracted, and ended up out of sinc with the horse... well when you ride tackless there's not much to hold except the animal's mane and neck! I had a good grip on the neck, but he didn't care for that and decided he'd had enough, and I slipped off. Ow. Paid attention whenever I was riding after that, let me tell you! :D

skylab

Esteemed
I had a nearly fall off situation when I was riding a beautiful Palomino...I was just so taken with his gorgeous mane. We were riding along nicely when all of a sudden he went straight in the air, rearing toward the fence row. That time I held on, and had enough basic skills to stay with him...afterward the folks riding behind me thought he must have gotten spooked by seeing a snake. Riding does require alertness, since the horse does have a mind of its own. I noticed in the rodeo videos, most of the animals continue bucking well after the rider is thrown onto the ground...which leaves me to think that they are trying to buck off the saddle and ropes.

And yes, I know all about the hot tempered glare...the one I had all prepared for that guy who slapped the Shetland pony...and the little fool kissed me when I got on my feet...so all of that was apparently his idea of childhood courtship...he didn't know I was ready to sock him...haha.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes, they definitely do have minds of their own! I agree with you about the saddle and ropes, though. I can't imagine that they would like being attached to that stuff, though they certainly do get used to it.

I think in my case, if I had been formerly introduced to riding and started out in a saddle, I might not have such a visceral hatred of the things. I can recognize their uses. I can. I just can't ride a horse unless I can feel him under me. The absolute most that I might use on a horse is a blanket, and that's not for me, it's for the horse so my jeans don't rub his back raw.

But saddles, reigns... *shudders* No thanks! Not unless I absolutely have to... LOL

skylab

Esteemed
I guess the saddle and reins provide the "illusion" of control to a new rider. We know from watching the results of dressage training that the horse can learn to respond to very slight promptings, but for the novice rider, it's merely something to hold onto...at that point the horse knows more than we do...haha.

I may have to go off for awhile and catch a nap...and maybe return to Slon's Hold On poses later this evening...my eyes are starting to blur some, so that's usually the signal to rest. Enjoyed the horsie chat...brought back some amusing memories :)
Have a good evening, and see you all later :sleep:

skylab

Esteemed
I've been winding down on the laptop by my bedside, and I wanted to come back on and say, Seliah, that I've been reading through your thread on your new character, Nataani for Dusk, work in progress. You've done an excellent job with it, and I've picked up the Head Morph Resource Kit in order to be ready for its release. I'm also curious about the results you've achieved using the morph kit. I'm also pleased that this character is shorter...yay! one for the little people :) That means he will fit in cars and chairs, and at the piano bench without his knees poking through the base of the piano...haha...ahhhh, the secret pitfalls of posing. Seriously, I'm watching for with enthusiasm the release of your character...excellent work :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yes, I too am awaiting Nataani, though I'll have to wait for the Poser version. He'll be worth the wait. ;)

Last edited:

Terre

Renowned
Illusion of control is right. When you are a novice and everyone else starts to lope off and your horse doesn't want to go faster than a walk and then suddenly decides he doesn't like being left behind and bursts into a gallop to catch up about all you can do is hang onto the horn!
That same gelding had a very square trot too. I had never understood what was meant by that until I experienced it first hand.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre...I knew you'd get a kick out of our falling off horses stories :)

Miss B, glad you mentioned that...didn't realize there would possibly be a delay in the Poser version. I did notice that the character was wearing Karth's DS-only shirt in some of the renders.

skylab

Esteemed
I've got Dusk loaded now and have injected every morph in the runtime, so I've got to play at least a little on the laptop until rest time.

When at my workstation earlier, I was nodding off some, and my goldfish was doing the same thing...he tends to just hang around the corner of the tank that's near where I sit when I'm working at the computer, and this evening he was doing his version of a goldfish nodding off too...and I couldn't help but laugh at the both of us, told him good night, and cut out the light so at least he could go to his "bed" of plants in the corner of the tank. During meal time I get the same thing...if I forget to give him his food too, he trees me, much like a dog begging food from the table...once I feed him, he goes about his business, eating and happily swimming around. If ever there was a spoiled goldfish <><

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Miss B, glad you mentioned that...didn't realize there would possibly be a delay in the Poser version. I did notice that the character was wearing Karth's DS-only shirt in some of the renders.

Yes, right now, he is DS-only. I'm sorry. :( Trying to make a Poser version of him is exactly what toasted my HD...

I did successfully make an INJ/REM .pz2 for him. But beyond that... *sighs* I don't even dare OPEN Poser right now. I literally can't risk it. Every time I try to open it, within 30 minutes it crashes my graphic driver and then I spend the next several days trying to get the pc even slightly functional. :/

The truth of it is that I want to do a Poser version, but I have no idea when I will be able to. I basically need either a different OS (once I replace my toasted internal HD), or a different version of Poser. Or I need a Poser person who's willing to step up and do the materials, which so far no one has been able to do.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
...random thought. Pro2010 was temperamental for me, but it did not kill my graphics on this OS. I already have Nataani's INJ/REM done. It might be worth re-installing 2010 just to do the MAT files. I would not be able to do anything at all about the poses since 2010 cannot work with weight mapped figures. But it would be enough to at least get the materials made...

I will try that once I have the DS version up to QAV, I think. :) I just won't have a way to do the poses really. I can use the PFE to export my DS poses in .pz2 format, but the interactive ones where Harry and Dusk are together, or even Dusk and the cowboy hat... the PFE loses the placement in the mix somehow, and it ends up needing a lot of tweaking on the user's part to get Dusk and Harry positioned correctly together again.

Hrm. Sorry, I'm thinking out loud again. Food for thought, I suppose... sorry, shushing now! LOL