• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Oh my goodness, didn't realize that it crashed your drive. I can tell you, from what little bit I do, that it's very difficult to deal with the problem of system resources as things get more and more resource intense. This is what I meant recently when I commented on morph packs...I don't have anything against them, in fact, we couldn't make custom characters without them, but it has nevertheless caused us to paint ourselves into a corner in terms of computer resources. The characters become so "heavy", time me inject all the necessary morphs, use hi def textures, and add realistic hair...I don't know about you, but there are times when I have to wait for the character to spin around if I rotate it, my resources are so loaded down. And that's what makes me get so fatigued, waiting on the character to move...it starts "jumping" in increments instead of rotating smoothly...and I can tell you, it doesn't take long before it takes the fun right out of posing. It felt so weird, when I loaded the LoRez Horse...he would spin around with no problem at all...so that's why I chose him to set up the Slon Hold On pose....because it wasn't lagging. I'd be truly heartsick if it caused my computer to crash. Since the most recent update of Poser 11, it crashes several times a day....and before I applied the update, it never crashed...kinda makes me wish I hadn't updated it.

skylab

Esteemed
I wish I could help you. That's one of the weaknesses of my work, the reason it's not up to stuff for commercial work...I have no idea how to get the "placement" to land just right. Sometimes it works out okay but accident, but most of the time they have to be tweaked a lot, like with horseback poses, or car driver, in order to get the figure into position. I'd be gland to lend you a hand, but I'm afraid my hand in this case would be not up to standards. What version of Poser are you using...is Poser Pro 2010 it, or have you been using another version for weight-mapped figures? It sounds like you need Poser Pro 2014, if you are creating commercially and need to depend upon it working. Poser 11 is a total remake of the original Poser, primarily for use in Windows 10 (don't get me started on that...haha). So, Poser 11 is going to be buggy for awhile, until they get it settled down.

skylab

Esteemed
I will say, I'm not about to get forced into a corner with temperamental 3D software. I have been loading DS 4.7 on my workstations and using the install manager a little at a time to get the runtimes set up....I prefer the Poser method of doing this, and the stability of being able to use it the same way it always has been, without content becoming "obsolete"....but, I'm at least trying to become familiar with the way DS functions, just in case it becomes necessary to switch over to using it again. Ironically, the biggest obstacle would be that I could not use my Poser-only content....I'm sure that DAZ had profit in mind when they shifted to a DS format, but it would actually be a turn off for Poser users, so it ends up losing customers rather than gaining. It was much better when DS and Poser "played nicely" together...back then, I used both without giving it a thought.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh, my... Sky this is going to be a VERY LONG response. I'm so, so sorry!

Oh my goodness, didn't realize that it crashed your drive. I can tell you, from what little bit I do, that it's very difficult to deal with the problem of system resources as things get more and more resource intense.

Yes. Poser 10 crashed my graphic driver, inside of 30 minutes of it being open to work on Nataani. The driver popped up a bubble initially stating that it had "recovered" from the crash, however, about ten minutes after that bubble appeared, my entire GUI locked out. Specifically, just the graphic elements.

I saved my progress. I shut my system down. I walked away for a good hour or so to give it a chance to cool down and all of that. Then I turned it on. It refused to boot. It got as far as the logon screen, but the GUI hung, and I couldn't actually click in the box to enter my password to log on. Thirty minutes later, the GUI finally unlocked, and I was able to put my password in. And then the entire system hung itself out to dry. I gave it thirty minutes more, then another thirty minutes, and finally had to do a hard reset on it, because at that point the keyboard had also locked out, which tells me that the whole system had frozen. So I did the hard reset.

I gave it time to chill, then turned it back on - again.

As soon as it got past the black screen (I won't even get started about Windows 8.1 and the black screen problem...), it automatically started doing a check-and-repair of the internal hard drive. Just peachy. I let it run it's check and do it's thing. It finally booted, albeit very slowly, after that.

It took a total of three HOURS to boot up.

I didn't even touch my 3D programs; I immediately started troubleshooting. I had only a single browser tab open on the system - nothing else, not even my music - and it hung itself again. Just the graphical elements, once again, JUST the GUI of the browser and system. I opened up my task manager once that lockup released itself, and discovered that my disk was now running at 100%... whereas prior to the graphic driver crashing, my disk never ran up above 2% or 3% unless I was rendering or doing something like that which requires the system to actively read and write to the hard disk. Yet here it was, with nothing more than a single browser tab, running at 100%.

I did all the usual stuff; ran a virus scan, scanned for spyware, scumware, etc. Then I updated the BIOS.... the reboot after the BIOS update took three hours AGAIN to complete, with one failed boot and yet another check-and-repair of the hard disk. Another three hour long boot time later, and I was back to troubleshooting. I updated my graphic driver, thinking maybe that might fix the issue. Holy hell, it just made things WORSE to update the damn driver! I rolled the driver back! Well, at least the instability returned to where it had been before I tried to update it, but it sure as hell still was not a stable system at this point.

I've cleaned out temp files, temporary internet files, cookies, I've run a registry cleaner, I've removed all orphaned files etc... I've been trying to fix this for over a week now. The system has been shot, ever since that graphic driver crashed (thank you very much, Poser 10 and M$...) I've reinstalled Windows three times; I've reset my entire disk back to factory state via the Toshiba recovery media... twice. No go, nothing doing. Nada.

Anyway. At this point, I've also gotten and dug into some of the deeper, command-line side stuff that M$ of course would rather it's userbase never learn how to do. LOL I disabled quite a few Windows Services that were unnecessary and that seemed to help a little bit, but my GUI continued to hang and un-hang, lock up, and un-lock on a regular basis. Sometimes the lockup is completely random.

I did, out of curiosity, and since my system was already basically fried, figured it couldn't do any further damage, I opened P10 one more time. That's all I did. I didn't even touch the interface. I simply opened the program.

Bam. Within 5 minutes. Graphic driver crashed. Again.

I went and pulled the Windows event viewer logs, and sure as hell, the graphic driver defaulted in one of the Poser modules or DLL's or somesuch... yup, Poser was causing the damn driver to crash. Now, my OS is 64-bit, and P10 is only a 32-bit program. So maybe that was the cause, I don't know. But whatever the cause was, it makes P10 completely useless to me, and frankly, dangerous for my system to try and use. Right there, Nataani's Poser conversion came to a dead stop.

At this point, I've also run a whole host of advanced diagnostics, up to and including getting a full and complete log file of the hard drive's state... and this includes everything from IP address, amount of RAM right on down to what services and what processes are running, how many cylinders and heads my HD has.... and most importantly, the lag spikes on the HD.

This computer is only eighteen months old. It's six months outside of the warranty period (bloody figures). So sending it in is pointless as it's no longer under warranty. However, the lag spikes that my HD are showing, which by looking at the log, DID NOT START until the first time my graphic driver crashed - anyway, those lag spikes are showing at the regularity and length of a hard drive that is about 3-5 years old. NOT the 18 months that my HD is.

Now, I've done some other digging and research, I've taken the machine to an IT person out here (just in case I was diagnosing it totally wrong) and I've consulted a couple of IT folks in my 3D contacts as well. Everyone comes to the same conclusion. The HD is toasted. It's fried, it's kaput, it's dying. I might get a little more time out of it, but I am going to need to replace it because of all of this.

Now, just to point out... I never had ANY pc issues on this computer until I tried to use P10. None. Nothing. She was as solid as a rock from the day I bought her, until the day I made the mistake of opening P10.

I'd also like to point out... that Poser, for me, has a long, strong, well established history of being temperamental and blowing up hard drives and shooting holes through my OS. I have used Poser 4, P5, P7, Pro2010, and now P10. Every single version of Poser, since version 5, has had some kind of temperamental behavior. During the time that I was rendering exclusively inside of Poser, I had constant, never-ending computer problems of one fashion or another. I blew through three video cards, two motherboards, and at least four HD's in the time I was using Poser to do my artwork.

ALL of that STOPPED when I migrated to DS. Immediately, stopped. I have not had a single PC issue since migrating to DS up until I opened P10 to try and make Nataani's conversion.

The instability of the program, combined with Poser's utter lack of ability to render the types of complicated scenes I set up, is what made my migration to Studio become permanent. When I initially moved to Studio, it was because I was working on sorely outdated hardware that I knew did not have the specs to run the (at the time) current programs. However, DS 4.3 ran just FINE on it! I could even render with it! Where Poser 7 on that old desktop wouldn't even allow me to set up a scene without crashing to the desktop, DS would allow me to not only set up a scene, but actually render the image. Provided I stuck to lightweight and simple scenes, DS allowed me to do some form of artwork. I removed P7 from that desktop rig and moved on with DS.

When my hardware, which was already a fossil, finally bit the last bullet and died, it took me about two years to save up for my current machine - a Toshiba Satellite laptop. (Yes, I do everything from a laptop! LOL) This machine has been a beast; she's been wonderfully stable for me up until I dared to open P10. Now, the instant I open Poser 10, my HD is toasted, my graphic driver is steamrolled, and I'm back to constant system instability?

Believe me, it's very hard to convince yourself to continue supporting a software that has historically done nothing but damage to your system - across multiple hardware rigs, and multiple program versions - and it SURE isn't going to motivate me to shell out half my mortgage payment in amount, for Poser 11! In fact, it makes me really want to completely drop ALL support for Poser files!

Now, I won't do that... I really have always tried to make sure my items work on both sides of the hobby as much as is humanly possible. But boy it makes me WANT to do that! LMAO

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I don't know about you, but there are times when I have to wait for the character to spin around if I rotate it, my resources are so loaded down. And that's what makes me get so fatigued, waiting on the character to move...it starts "jumping" in increments instead of rotating smoothly...and I can tell you, it doesn't take long before it takes the fun right out of posing. It felt so weird, when I loaded the LoRez Horse...he would spin around with no problem at all...so that's why I chose him to set up the Slon Hold On pose....because it wasn't lagging. I'd be truly heartsick if it caused my computer to crash. Since the most recent update of Poser 11, it crashes several times a day....and before I applied the update, it never crashed...kinda makes me wish I hadn't updated it.

Uhm... nope. DS has never had that problem with me once I got onto a pc that had sufficient hardware to run the program. My current laptop has 12 GBs of RAM, and an i7 Intel core. My video and sound are both on-board. Daz Studio had no problem handling this scene AT ALL :

https://community.hivewire3d.com/attachments/aftermath-jpg.3261/

1 Mike3
1 Vicky 4
2 Mike 4's
6 Genesis 1's

All figures - FULLY loaded with all their morphs.

Tons and tons and tons of props and background fillers in addition to Stonemason's warehouse.

3Delight render, DOF camera.
11 DS native spotlights
4 DS native point lights
1 AOA Advanced Ambient light as a fill light

The entire thing rendered in ONE pass, in about 2 hours... no layering, no separate renders to composite necessary. One pass.

Meanwhile, Poser 10 could not even handle THIS scene :

https://community.hivewire3d.com/attachments/littlefoot-mall-jpg.3262/

That one has a single Dusk, a single Dawn, a single Baby Luna, 1 M4, and 1 V4 in it. That's it! No background props except for what came with that environment set. That's how the set loaded. I did not add any additional background filler to that scene.

Poser 10 could NOT render it. I had to re-build it inside of Studio to get it to render.

THAT is why I ended up migrating to DS permanently. Studio, for me, is more stable, has a much better management of system memory and resources, and is capable of rendering the huge, huge scenes that I put together. Poser has more memory holes than swiss cheese in it, and is utterly incapable of rendering anything even remotely resembling a full scene for me. Maybe it's just my system - all the different rigs I've had????? - but for me, DS is just not only much more reliable, but it's more STABLE, and it's FASTER.

https://community.hivewire3d.com/attachments/playmates-hw-jpg.3264/

The above image was also renderd in DS 4.8; Poser would not have been able to render that. The treant/baby Ent alone is comprised of about 30 different parts. The background/forest is comprised of no less than 50 different plant and tree objects, and I rendered it with a DOF camera, to boot. Poser would have choked on it. Studio rendered the entire thing in a single pass, without even batting an eyelash.

So... I'm sorry, but no, I've never had my characters slow down like you experience. Not inside of Studio. Even a fully injected V4 with the tons and tons of morphs I have for her, and the whole scene in DS will still whip around on the camera nice and fast. Same goes for my Genesis 1 figure, which I not only have a TON of commercial morphs, but I have ported over LOTS of morphs from V3, M3, V4, M4, Maddie, etc and gotten them loaded into Genesis 1. No slow downs at all for me.

I do vividly recall Pro2010 slowing down instantly if I injected even the base Morphs++ into M4, though. But inside of DS? No. I have no slow-down issues unless I reach the kind of level that Aftermath did (the first link I posted in this response), in which case all I had to do there was have a second instance of DS running, and I used the second instance to set up, dress, and pose the individual figures, then saved them as a scene subset to a temporary folder inside of my DS content library.

Once that was done, I went back to the "main" DS window with the full scene, refreshed the library, loaded the previously set-up figure into the scene, and all I had to do was shift the figure into place and maybe a LITTLE bit of adjustment of their feet to have them on the floor properly. That was it. The slow-down I had with Aftermath wasn't even bad, even once I had the full ten figures loaded into the scene and all of the props and everything in it. My camera would pan a little bit slower, but not too bad. Nothing jerked about for me at all.

Last edited:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I wish I could help you. That's one of the weaknesses of my work, the reason it's not up to stuff for commercial work...I have no idea how to get the "placement" to land just right. Sometimes it works out okay but accident, but most of the time they have to be tweaked a lot, like with horseback poses, or car driver, in order to get the figure into position. I'd be gland to lend you a hand, but I'm afraid my hand in this case would be not up to standards.

Well, when you pose interactively, such as Dusk and Harry, a lot of getting it right really IS just turning the dials and moving things around. I spend a LOT of time moving back and forth between body parts on both figures until I have what I'm happy with. I don't find it difficult, it's just time consuming and fidgety.

What version of Poser are you using...is Poser Pro 2010 it, or have you been using another version for weight-mapped figures? It sounds like you need Poser Pro 2014, if you are creating commercially and need to depend upon it working. Poser 11 is a total remake of the original Poser, primarily for use in Windows 10 (don't get me started on that...haha). So, Poser 11 is going to be buggy for awhile, until they get it settled down.

Poser Pro 2010 is not capable of handling weight mapped figures. I do own a copy of it, but it's incapable of actually handling any of HiveWire's figures due to the weightmapping. All Pro2010 is good for, is setting up materials, provided I don't actually try to MOVE any part of the figure's body. LOL

I do not own Pro 2014, and frankly, I can't afford it. To be quite frank, SM charges entirely too much for their software. It would be very different if there was a way to pay x-number of times in smaller installments, but there is no way in hell I can afford $500 for any piece of software. They've quite frankly priced themselves outside of my range. I saved up slowly just to get P10, and the only reason I even bought it in the first place was so that I could do Poser support for the HiveWire figures - and P10 tanked my hard drive. So there's no way I'm going to even try and touch Pro 2014 at this time.

If it were up to me, quite frankly, Poser would never see the light of day on any system of mine ever again. That's how fed up I am with fighting this battle with that software, and that's how fed up I am with having my hard drives and computers constantly getting blown up by the ruddy software! The absolute ONLY reason I even bother with it, is to support the folks here who use Poser as their program of choice. That is the ONLY reason I even bother with it anymore. If I weren't interested in trying to support both side of the hobby for our HW figures, I wouldn't even have Poser - ANY of it's versions - installed on my computer at all.

I will say, I'm not about to get forced into a corner with temperamental 3D software. I have been loading DS 4.7 on my workstations and using the install manager a little at a time to get the runtimes set up....I prefer the Poser method of doing this, and the stability of being able to use it the same way it always has been, without content becoming "obsolete"....but, I'm at least trying to become familiar with the way DS functions, just in case it becomes necessary to switch over to using it again.

Honestly? Provided you are NOT going to use Connect-only content from Daz, you can very much (for the most part) continue setting up your Runtime/Content Library like you used to have it in Poser. The only exception there is basically the MAT poses, which are usually contained in the same folder as the base item (and actually I found that to be one of the things I absolutely loved about migrating over to DS - no more having to constantly bounce from Figures to Poses and back to Figures anymore!)

So in other words, inside of DS, you would have something like this :

People --> Dawn --> Clothing --> [Item Name] --> [Item Name's Materials]

So if I want to use Laurie's bomber jacket textures for Dusk, I just go to the folder where his bomber jacket is, I click on Materials, and inside of there, I have Aether's World Jacket folder and Laurie's folder - I click on Laurie's folder and apply the materials I want to the jacket and I'm good to go. I don't have to back out and go to another part of the Runtime/Library to get the MAT poses. It saves a lot of time. :)

Aside from that, though, I have to say that for the most part, when I install new content to DS, I do it the same way I used to do it in Poser. I don't use the DIM though. I manually download every zip and install it by hand, just like I did for years with Poser.

If you run into things that you don't know how to do in DS, just ask. Someone is bound to know the answer and how to help you figure it out. ;) I learned a lot of the DS functionality by posting questions and asking "HOW DO I DO THIS!!" :D

Ironically, the biggest obstacle would be that I could not use my Poser-only content....I'm sure that DAZ had profit in mind when they shifted to a DS format, but it would actually be a turn off for Poser users, so it ends up losing customers rather than gaining. It was much better when DS and Poser "played nicely" together...back then, I used both without giving it a thought.

Again, to be honest? There is VERY little "Poser-only" content left these days. The only things that can NOT be used inside of DS are Poser procedural materials, and Poser dynamic cloth/hair. And honestly, with the release of Lola's script, we don't even have the limitation on Poser's dynamic cloth anymore. Dynamic hair still won't work for us inside of DS, but with this script, the only things we have to stay away from now are Poser dynamic hair, Poser procedural materials, and anything that is dependent on Python scripting.

Anything else works just fine for us, or we can MAKE it work. :) I have bought "Poser-only" packages lots of times, and made them work. I picked up RDNA's TerraDome2 a little while ago when it was on sale for REAL cheap.. and I have used it successfully inside of Studio several times now. Sure, the procedural materials won't work in Studio, nor will anything that relies on the Python, but I have indeed made it work for me.

I loaded the figure up in Pro2010, injected all of the morphs, saved that figure back to the library as a pre-injected .cr2, and bam. I can load the TerraDome inside of DS and just sculpt away to my heart's content.... and I can use, to a certain point, the texture maps. But we also do have a LOT of shader packs available, so nine times out of ten, I don't even need the textures that came with the TerraDome. I just load up earthy shaders to get what I want out of the dome in DS. :)

Poser dynamic cloth (if you do NOT own Lola's dynamic cloth script) -- Python scripts -- Poser dynamic hair -- and Poser procedural materials.... these are pretty much the only things that don't work for us inside of Studio. Anything else that works in Poser, for the most part, will work at least partially inside of Studio.

I really do think Poser, overall, is a good program. I do. It's just not for me, nor does it behave well enough for me to use it on a regular basis, and the sheer cost of it is enough to keep me from updating very far at this point. I think it has a LOT of potential, but right now, for my own personal use... that's all it is - potential. It needs a lot of things fixed and addressed before it would ever again be usable for me.

If someone finds it easier for them to operate inside of Poser, then by all means... do the artwork where you are most comfortable, and where you enjoy it the most. That's the beauty of having multiple programs for the same purpose... you can choose the one that is a better fit and that you like. For some folks, it's Poser. For me, at this point, it's DS. I try to make sure my content works in both softwares, but sometimes it's just not feasible to do.

Man. Whew. I am SO SO sorry about the length of this one!! Just.. so much I wanted to respond to! Maybe I should have sent it as a PM, huh? :oops: :unsure:

skylab

Esteemed
Let me start off by saying thank you for your honesty. I don't doubt for a minute that your experience has been worth sharing with others. I'm a bit stunned at what has happened to your computer. My first response initially would have been to do a factory reinstall on the operating system...but you did that, more than once. Then I thought, well, was the graphics card up to the task, was it something that had been installed after the fact...but I'm assuming it's what came with the laptop. Now when you got around to the laptop part, I did cringe a little, because I only have my laptop to compare to....mine has 4 gig of ram (don't laugh, it's 5 years old, running Win7). Yours has obviously got more juice, so there is no comparison. I know from past experience that laptops tend to run hot, so rendering a complex scene for several hours can fry the insides. I alway keep a small clip on fan near my desktop for such...I always cool down my drives when backing up runtimes or doing complicated rendering. So, damage due to overheating could be a possibility.

Now, for Poser. Geez....what else can be said. If you're attempting to run Poser 10, that's the standard version of Poser 2014...so Poser 2014 would probably not stand a chance of running. Breaking it down to possibilities, it was a sorry day when Poser listened to all the younger users who wanted a "cool" interface, with dockable functions....when Poser 7 and older had moveable interface before anybody else even thought of doing it. You use to just drag the elements around, and you didn't have to worry about things springing loose all over the place while working...it wasn't broke, nor was the content library, but they decided to "fix" it anyway, and there have been problems ever since.

poser 7 gui.gif

Poser versions 8, 9 and 10, have a flash based library. Like, who thought of that, since flash is updated at least twice a month, that was a train wreck waiting to happen. It alone caused Poser to freeze up, act up, and caused the content library to not show at all during the initial release of Poser 8. Had it not been for Dimension3D's XL Library, it would not have been functional for me at all for the first several months. And yes, I updated flash until I was sick of it....haha. All that to say, lots of things can cause Poser to totally shut down. Another hammer that gets thrown into it is if your firewall decides one day to not allow Poser.exe access to the internet. I put it that way for the benefit of Vista users....by now you should be accustomed to it deciding randomly to no longer allow a program to run. So, 'nuf said. That's a Microsoft issue. Don't get me started on that.

However, it's necessary at least to say....from what I've heard, I'd rather gargle ground glass than try to run Windows 8...and I hope that it's not something about Windows 8 that has contributed to your problem. Your observations of Poser's memory leaks, etc. would certainly flag it for conflict at some point with Microsoft. It also could be contributing to my lagging screens. You can see why not being able to see the UI very well added to my frustrations, by the time the figure would rotate, I could literally forget where I was in the pose work. But that's another story. . .

My two workstations are running Win7 with 8 gig of ram and a 1 TB drive. Once upon a time that was a pretty good system, but these days, it's just not up to complicated scenes and long animations. This is why you'll never see anything but a simple background in my work...by the time I get the pose ready, my nerves usually can't take any more...haha. I bought the two drives last year from TigerDirect.com, since they still sell Windows 7 drives.

As for DS 4.7, the only lag I experience is when content is loading...it takes its sweet time, and I've learned to just walk away from it and eventually it will show on the screen.

Obviously you must know how to save poses in DS. I'm interested in learning how....and is it possible to convert the poses I've created to DS format? I used to use the DS Poser export utility to create poses, since that's how I started doing it...I was still using DS part of the time then. When I changed over to Poser, I just learned to do them there and never looked back.

So...to sum up all this, check for signs of overheating when someone opens up your laptop. Make sure Windows hasn't played a role in the system and graphic card errors. If I remember correctly, on board graphics sort of plays a "Chip and Dale" routine with other peripherals and stuff like the mouse...going you first, oh no, you first, oh no, I must insist...haha. That's why I can click my mouse on a thumb, and Harry's bridle will fly up in the air...somehow the request to click on the thumb gets garbled...and in the end smells like a Microsoft video/flashy type issue. That's why it's so difficult to diagnose what we think is the problem....it may not be the thumb or the bridle...or even Poser, but a video problem. I'll comment briefly on graphics drivers upgrades...you have to tread softly....I remember taking an upgrade that MS indicated was available, and when I restarted my Vista, I had nothing by speckled lines with a few colors, then a compressed version of what was supposed to be an image. I felt my heart go in my feet, and wondered what I'd do to fix it. I rebooted in safe mode, and did a restore to previous day, and everything came back, but it has never been the same since...I still get ATI Radeon driver version errors, even though I restored it to factory. So that little problem was directly the result of a MS update.

Again, thanks for your honesty...otherwise how else would others learn. I may take you up on the offer to hear my DS questions, if I get more serious about learning it. Learning to create poses in DS would weigh heavily in that decision. And, I can always use the Poser versions that I have to create them in that format. But I know that I can't continue with it for more upgrades due to lacking the system resources.

If there is any other way that I can be of help, let me know. I know you probably have a high standard with the work you create...but would it be possible to release two different versions of your character project, and indicate that the Poser version won't include the poses involving placement or parenting? Just a thought.

Well, time to head back to bed. Certainly hope things work out for you soon. And again, excellent work on your Dusk character project...hope it can be completed soon.

See you later on. . . :sleep:

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
One thing I forgot to comment on....I had no idea that DS would still accept Poser content. I'm familiar with replacing mat files...I do it all the time with vehicles. If it can still do OBJ, and even FBX import, it's worth looking into because I do a lot of pose work using free OBJ off ShareCG for the benefit of those on a zero 3D budget. I'll have to check the DS manual about that, that has sparked my interest.

Also, is it a bad idea to upgrade DS to 4.9 (I think this is the current version)...so much confusion about formats, etc. What version do you use?

I'm really going this time...haha...good night all :sleep:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Now when you got around to the laptop part, I did cringe a little, because I only have my laptop to compare to....mine has 4 gig of ram (don't laugh, it's 5 years old, running Win7). Yours has obviously got more juice, so there is no comparison.

Ah... don't feel too bad. The rig I had before getting this laptop? It was a fifteen year old (no, I'm not joking!) Dell XPS laptop. It had 1 GB of RAM, a 256mb Radeon video card in it, and 300 GB hard drive. (Yes, I ran with an external runtime back then.. everything was loaded via an external USB hard drive... LOL)

The desktop rig that I had prior to the Dell? That was also fifteen years old. 1 GB of RAM and a 128 MB video card in it. I forget what the size of the HD's were, but I know neither of the HD's were TB drives. I think I had a full TB of space between the two, so I suspect that the HD's might have been 500 GBs a piece, but I don't recall exactly.

Either way - both of my previous rigs were not even dinosaurs anymore - they were fossils! LOL I'm still absolutely amazed that the Dell laptop allowed me to do as much as it did. That was a really sleek machine for it's age. We still have that laptop - my Bear uses it now for less intensive things, and it works very well for him. But it's not up to the task of the kinds of renders I have in my head, though it sure gave it one heck of a try. And until I could afford this Toshiba, it was enough to keep me sane doing simple basic portraits and just making content. :)

When I set out to get my new machine, my choice was this Satellite with 12 GBs of RAM and no CD/DVD drive, running 8.1, or another laptop with the same core, but only 8 GBs of RAM and WITH a CD/DVD drive. I kind of hesitated on this one with the total lack of a CD/DVD drive... but thinking everything over and knowing what the software needs that we all use... I went for the higher memory. I'm glad now that I did. They do make external USB DVD/CD drives, so that will solve that problem when I need to.

I wanted the higher memory to handle the heavy graphics load that I knew it would have to handle, and it's a very good thing I opted for the higher RAM, now when I think about it - or look at any of the renders I posted above in my last response. 8 GBs would NOT have cut it for those.

As far as laptops running hot... yes, yes they do run a fair bit warmer than a desktop rig. I was well aware of that before I bought this one, since I spent just about a year limping along with DS 4.3 on that old Dell XPS. I don't keep a fan next to my laptop, but I have a cooling pad that is ALWAYS underneath it. The cooling pad plugs into one USB port, and runs the two fans underneath the laptop, and it does a great job of keeping the machine from overheating. If I am running a heavy render, such as the ones I showed up above, then I have a small wooden frame that I custom made out of some of my Bear's scrap lumber. What it does, is it sits over the top of the cooling pad just a little bit - enough to provide some air flow - and the laptop sits within that frame.

This allows the cooling fans to continue doing their job with the laptop, and provides a little extra air flow to assist in keeping the machine cool. No, heat on my laptop is certainly not an issue in this case, though I did indeed check into that as a possibility as well, just in case what I had wasn't keeping it cool enough.

Breaking it down to possibilities, it was a sorry day when Poser listened to all the younger users who wanted a "cool" interface, with dockable functions....when Poser 7 and older had moveable interface before anybody else even thought of doing it. You use to just drag the elements around, and you didn't have to worry about things springing loose all over the place while working...it wasn't broke, nor was the content library, but they decided to "fix" it anyway, and there have been problems ever since.

You can say that again!! Poser 7's interface was a dream to use. Ever since they went over to the docking garbage, I have hated, the interface with a passion. I despise dockers. HATE them!! And the blasted things inside of Poser fly every which way at the slightest touch of the mouse. It's infuriating. LOL It also very much limits the customization that we can do of our interface. I will confess that after being inside of Studio for so long, every time I go into Poser I feel cramped. I feel like I've been jammed into a cell that is too small to hold me, and it's stifling. I can't wait to get out of there again. The interface is too busy, and WAY too cluttered.

That's another thing that for me, personally, I appreciate about DS. I love the tabbed interface. ALL the controls we need are still readily available, once we've set up our UI the way we like. And they're still kept nice and neatly out of the way on the sides in tabs. Beautifully designed UI. Now, I don't - and would never - ask Poser to look like DS. But they could sure come up with a much better UI for the program than this docker crap. LOL

However, it's necessary at least to say....from what I've heard, I'd rather gargle ground glass than try to run Windows 8...and I hope that it's not something about Windows 8 that has contributed to your problem. Your observations of Poser's memory leaks, etc. would certainly flag it for conflict at some point with Microsoft.

I'm actually thinking that this might be part of the issue, to be honest. Aside from the fact that my OS is 64-bit and P10 is a 32-bit program (and that alone can be enough to cause problems in some cases), Windows 8.1 is a piece of junk. It's horrid. However, there are multiple reasons that I will not upgrade to Windows 10, and I cannot downgrade to Windows 7 while 8.1 is installed on the HD.

But as far as P10 vs. Win 8.1; yeah, I do think there is something there that's basically making the two programs (the OS and Poser 10) incompatible with each other. I've been doing a LOT of research, and I'm seeing a whole host of all sorts of different issues that Win 8.1 users have had with Poser 10/Pro 2014. Each issue is different, it's never the same problem, but I've seen a lot of threads in various places with Poser 10 vs. Windows 8.1 problems.

So yeah, I do think that's part of what is contributing to my issues here, and that's why when I said I wouldn't try 2014 "at this time," I meant it. When I get my new internal HD, I am hoping to put Windows 7 on it, and I will, honestly, give P10 another try under THAT operating system and see how it goes.

Obviously you must know how to save poses in DS. I'm interested in learning how....and is it possible to convert the poses I've created to DS format? I used to use the DS Poser export utility to create poses, since that's how I started doing it...I was still using DS part of the time then. When I changed over to Poser, I just learned to do them there and never looked back.

Saving poses in DS is not quite as straightforward as it is in Poser. That is definitely a point in Poser's favor, and I will admit that without shame. :) It's one of the things that Poser definitely does handle a little better than DS. In Poser, saving a pose without also saving morph options is as simple as making sure the "morphs" option is NOT checked. In DS, you have to manually un-check all those morphs (and morphorms such as hand grasp etc).

This one is best explained with a proper step-by-step and some screenshots. I will do this separately, probably in a different thread and tag you on it so you can find it.

If there is any other way that I can be of help, let me know. I know you probably have a high standard with the work you create...but would it be possible to release two different versions of your character project, and indicate that the Poser version won't include the poses involving placement or parenting? Just a thought.

I am notoriously nitpicky about the quality of my content, yes. I always have been, even back when I was doing my very first freebies, I would refuse to release the item if it wasn't up to my standards at that time. Over the years, as I've grown more familiar with the software, the ins and outs, and learned more of the nitty gritty, yes, I hold myself to much higher standards than I did back in 2004 with my first freebies. :)

But that does not mean I'm unwilling to work with someone. I am very, very willing to work with a Poser user if it will help get my packages released for the Poser artists to use! And yes, I have been thinking very much about doing exactly what you're suggesting insofar as the type of package. I'm pretty sure, in fact, that the best thing I'll be able to do is actually just the materials at this point, if I roll back to Pro2010 to do it.

Thankfully I already have my INJ/REM file for Nataani, so I don't have to worry about trying to do that. It's just the materials at this point. I really would have preferred to be able to give out the poses in both versions of the product, but at the present time, it's just not doable for my system.

What I would need, as far as someone to help, right now, would be someone who knows Poser's material room, and who can set up the material collection files (the .mc6) for him. Whoever would or could do this, I cannot, for obvious reasons, test the MATs myself, so it's a matter of I will be trusting them to do good quality materials. I am more than willing to go in with them on the product as a joint-vendor item. I can send off the INJ/REM file, and all of the textures needed if someone was able to, and had the time, to do it.

Otherwise, though, it's going to have to wait until I can get a new HD and get myself back onto a reasonable OS... like Windows 7... LOL

I had no idea that DS would still accept Poser content. I'm familiar with replacing mat files...I do it all the time with vehicles. If it can still do OBJ, and even FBX import, it's worth looking into because I do a lot of pose work using free OBJ off ShareCG for the benefit of those on a zero 3D budget.

Yes. Absolutely, it can import all sorts of formats. Here's a quick screenshot of the options when you go to import an object. (Click the image to enlarge it so you can read the file types...)

OBJ, FBX, no problems at all. The import process can be a might bit fiddly; you really need to know what program the object was originally modeled in, and then select that option on the import window once you've chosen the item from your dialogue box. DS will pop up an Import Options window for you to make that selection from.

If you don't know for sure which program an item was modeled in, then it becomes kind of a guessing game, as you select one option and import, and then another and another until it comes into the screen at the correct scale and orientation (this is one of the reasons that I always state Blender or Wings, whichever I used to make a prop when I post it for download). Now, sometimes it just doesn't matter which option you select during the import process, you're simply going to have to translate/scale/rotate the object around properly. But usually, so long as you know which program it was modeled in, if you select the correct option on the Import dialogue, it will come into DS properly.

Anyway - this is the screen shot showing the file types that DS is capable of importing. This is reached by clicking on File--> Import from the menu at the top of the DS window.

upload_2016-2-12_6-31-23.png

Also, is it a bad idea to upgrade DS to 4.9 (I think this is the current version)...so much confusion about formats, etc. What version do you use?

Honestly... I am currently running DS 4.8. It's done the job very well for me. I always get a little hesitant about upgrading to the next version, because Daz has a habit of some issues needing to be fixed for the first couple of increments after a new version is released.

That said, though, I'm going to NEED to upgrade to 4.9 myself, because I want to make use of the more advanced dynamic clothing controls plugin, and I was a bad wolf and forgot to download the 4.8 version of that plugin, OR back it up to my external backup drives. That plugin... the version has to match the version of the program. So, I can't use DS 4.8 and use the 4.9 Dynamic controls... it won't work. I have to use DS 4.9 in order to use the 4.9 version of the plugin, and just like they do with the main program itself, Daz overwrites the link in our content libraries to match the versions. Which means... the 4.8 version of that plugin is no longer available to download from the product library.

Other than that... I don't think it's a BAD idea to update to 4.9, though I would suggest you might want to think long and hard about buying any product that is ONLY available with a DazConnect install type, because there is rather limited ability to manually organize those products the way you want. However, if you are NOT buying those items (I always check to make sure an item has "Manual Install" as an install type before buying), so long as it has a Manual Install or DIM type of download available, then 4.9 is fine I would think, and you can just continue to install things to the places of your choosing.

I believe you will have to do a login once or something to register it or something like that... but after that you can tell the program to work in "offline" mode so it's not constantly trying to roll you into Connect. I'm not really entirely sure how 4.9 works yet, as I haven't updated just yet. That's one of those "after I have Nataani finished" things for me to do.

What I would tell you, is make sure you back up your copy of your 4.7 install, and if you really hate 4.9, then you can always uninstall 4.9 and roll yourself back to 4.7. But make sure you keep a copy of your 4.7 installer backed up, because you can't get it out of your Daz product library at this point. I have kept my copy of 4.5, 4.7, and 4.8 installs for just that reason. LOL I do keep meaning to delete the 4.5 and 4.7 ones, though... 4.8 is really as far back as I would ever need to downgrade to these days.

I'll post up a step-by-step on how to save poses for you on a separate thread. You should get a notification once I do that, as I will kind of "tag" you on the thread when it goes up. :)

skylab

Esteemed
I got my two Win7 mini-desktops, 8 gb ram, 1 TB drive for around $200 each...their main shortcomings were lack of the type video card best used for 3D work...in other words, just on board graphics....my original workstation did have a nice video card, but it got trashed by Malwarebytes (another long story, I won't go near that program again). Anyway, I got the two drives refurbished from TigerDirect.com during last year's Christmas sale. Just passing that info along in case you need to get creative with options out of the mess you're in. You can always drop more ram, and video card, into a system like that. They still offer 64 bit Windows 7 systems. Prices of new drives are not especially great...I found mine when they were running a sale on refurbished systems. When they arrived they truly did look new.

If you do much surfing around the internet, have you noticed where scroll bars no longer work right on browsers, things appear what I call "spongy"....you click and click, and it refuses to work right...then it suddenly jumps to something you didn't even want...haha...I believe that's how "things not quite working right" is spreading into how websites are built and how they relate to browsers...collateral damage from Microsoft favoring mobile devices. The scroll bars work fine...for mobile devices....but trying to keep a browser up-to-date enough to operate correctly is nearly impossible. It might work right for two weeks, but as updates to this and that roll out, stuff gets broken again. We didn't have that crap during the "golden age of Windows XP". The business of things not quite working right with browsers, at least consistently so, is why we should never, ever, NEVER have gone to browser dependent content libraries and foolishly expect that they wouldn't be impacted by that instability. That goes for everything by the way...which makes it a hacker's dream....which we are painfully learning more and more as time goes by. I would say, the problem that you experienced, the seemingly sudden appearance of it, and the total devastating effects....it was more than one problem and those two things "found" each other at a critical moment, and bam, it was all she wrote....those type of problems usually leave the smelly trail that leads to an update, or a sudden change. I shared recently about AOL refusing to install....it has been fixed....that problem was traced, by AOL, to two problems, an Adobe flash update combined with a Microsoft update....the two things together butted heads with the AOL installer, and rendered it totally useless. One of the recent flash and Windows updates corrected the problem, now AOL installs properly again. But it was the type of problem where everyone naturally thought the culprit was AOL. You can figure, any time you're having problems in web email, with the scroll bar, or you're trying to click a box maybe to delete an email and things are spongy, not working right...you can pretty well figure that other problems are going to show up in browser dependent applications.

Regarding making poses in DS, yes, I would certainly be interested in your thread, so please do get my attention about that. If you've not figured it out already, I don't browse around the Hivewire site all that much, due to time constraints....I aim to keep up with the thread here, and then I'm usually busy with pose work, or checking around for freebies or what's new.

By the way, I saw that plug-in for dynamic clothing in DS....at Rendo I think it was, and I remember thinking, now does this really work, or what. Good to know that plug-ins are being developed for that. I play around with the Poser hair room occasionally, and probably always will. I started out 10 years in 3D with DS, the version was 1 something, so it was a long time ago...haha. Some of my early animations of Slon dancing were done in DS. When they shifted to Genesis, and suddenly the atmosphere cooled off toward Poser users, and outside vendor links or mention of Poser products were not welcome on the forum, as evidenced by deleted posts and changes in TOS....there was consequently a mass migration of Poser exiles. I ended up exiled with them, by default...and have offered my time and efforts since then to making free stuff for the Poser exiles.

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) You've got some reading to catch up on (previous pages), to see what Seliah has been through with her computer problems.

skylab

Esteemed
I kinda ended the last post abruptly because I went to click in the text to re-phrase something, and it hurled me out of the typing mode to having posted the thing...so I had to hurry and at least finish the last paragraph before my 10 minutes was up...haha. So I guess that was a demonstration of the browser having a mind of its own.

Continuing with where I left off....even though I left with the exiles, and have felt exiled from that half of the 3D community, I never had anything personally against using the DS software, and from time to time have tried it to check out the changes. I was very excited when Dawn was first announced in a forum...I can't remember if it was Rendo or RDNA...I think it was Rendo. People were coming from every direction that I had not seen since the DAZ forum days, and everyone seemed willing to work together and were glad to see each other. That's pretty much what we have here at Hivewire, something that resembles the original 3D community, before all that stuff happened. You know, it wasn't just a matter of a few people getting their feelings hurt....some of the independent vendors were hurt, or wiped out altogether...so it was for some a very heated issue. You can detect some residue of it whenever there's a Poser release....DS users will flame the Poser release forum, and you can sense the wall going up...oh, it's THEM again...so the issues still very much exist. Consequently I've been very guarded about pushing the DS software, occasionally I'll get brave enough to mention a sale or a freebie, but there's usually not a yipee, yahoo reaction to anything DAZ. The time may come when some of us have to return to at least partial use of DS in order to stay in the game....but I was never a militant DS user, to me it's just a tool...so I can't really get into the "my tool is bigger and better than your tool"...when that mess first started happening, one of the Poser comebacks was always "oh yeah, my tool actually has a written manual"....haha. I mean, these were adults...acting like children. And, as if we needed any more division than had already taken place. The poor vendors were caught in the middle, and if one is smart, you have to learn to play both sides of the thing, or you'll surely not be able to make a living. I'm not a vendor, I've never done commercial work...I just started doing poses because it was suggested to me during a Nursoda character content contest, because I was doing Slon animations for comic relief. That's the reason I started doing poses...for fun. So the day it ceases to be fun, then I probably need to retire. I was thinking yesterday how much I missed doing the funny stuff...while other folks were laughing at the stuff, I was laughing too, while making it. So it's not now, or never has been, a "tool contest" or an exclusive club thing....I just simply loved to have fun with it. Having said all that, yes, I'd very much like to learn DS again, hopefully for good reasons, and not intending at all to offend any exiled friends along the way...it's just time to move forward, or get pushed forward, by the need to survive the changes with Microsoft, especially on a retiree budget. Whatever I'm doing, and whatever program I'm using, hopefully it will be with humor, as always.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist

skylab

Esteemed
That thread looks interesting, the results are looking good, and I see you have a post with step by step instructions....I like that, plain, 1-2-3 instructions. Well, that answered my curiosity about that plug-in, was it too good to be true, or did it really work.

Here's the plug-in, for anybody reading and wondering, what are we talking about.

skylab

Esteemed
Okay, I just went by Rendo and picked up the plug-in, and may upgrade to DS 4.9 on one of my workstations, after backing up all my older versions, then try loading up the plug-in to see what kind of results I get.

While on Rendo, I checked the free stuff, and there's a new release of a merchant resource skin for Dusk, if anyone is interested.

Well, at least I got a few hours nap, my brain is definitely awake now...so I may as well get at it. Moving this show to the kitchen workstation :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
While on Rendo, I checked the free stuff, and there's a new release of a merchant resource skin for Dusk, if anyone is interested.

Oh, my... oooh. I have downloaded that skin now, thank you! I will get the zip open later and check the terms, but if this actually allows distribution for freebies, I will be THRILLED. I have felt for a very long time that part of what's holding our HW figures back a little bit, is the lack of any freebie skins out there. Many users will "test drive" a new figure with freebie items first, before they decide whether or not to invest fully in the figure.

I'll crack open the zip file later tonight after we've done our grocery shopping (*shudder* Haaate shopping!) for the week, and I'll see what kind of terms the creator has laid out in the readme at that point.

Thanks again for the heads up!

(I'll get a response up to you on the other subject - and the how-to on saving Poses in DS - after the shopping thing tonight also.)